Gersnet Rangers All-time XI | Day 3: Centre-backs

As it's the international break, I thought we could partake in a little exercise doing the rounds on social media. 

Every day we'll pick the best all-time Rangers player for each position. 

The most voted player gets added to the lineup. 

Yesterday's winner: Robertson

Day 3: Centre-backs. Pick Two.

Who are the best all-time Rangers Centre-backs? 

[LCF - Day 9] - [RCF - Day 9]

[LW - Day 6] - [AM - Day 7] - [RW - Day 8]

[DM - Day 5]

Robertson - [LCB - Day 3] - [RCB - Day 3] - [RB - Day 4]

Goram

Butcher and Gough.

Honourable mentions to Weir, Amoruso and McPherson.

I always thought McLaren could have been an all timer if he wasn't always injured. Moore was good as well but struggled with injuries also. Goldson was great under Gerrard but never quite been the same since he left. But he's off to a good start under Clement. 

I don't feel Cuellar was there long enough. 

Edited by Crimson Dynamo

George Young, who I never saw play but whose record speaks for itself and who is held in such regard by those who did see him play that there seems little doubt to his incredible ability.

Richard Gough, a natural leader and as good a centre half as there was playing anywhere at his peak. 

Terry Butcher was arguably the best centre half in the world when he joined us, and was immaculate in his first season. However I'd vote for Young and Gough simply due to their longer time spent at the club. But a centre half line up of Butcher and Frank De Boer at their peak would have been something to see. 

Edited by JohnMc

2 minutes ago, MoodyBlue1872 said:

Butcher and Gough for me.

Forgot all about yesterday as I wasn't in the office :(  I would have gone with Robertson though.

I'm pleased.

@JohnMc made a late vote making it 9-9 between Robertson and Numan.

This pushes Robertson ahead again. 

Alan McLaren, mainly for his record against them, his passing was superb and had a shot that we never exploited enough. Met him at a gig a few years after he retired, he blethered away for ages (let's face it, neither him nor I wanted to see or hear Jobbie Williams).

Big Amo next to him. The only CH we've had that headed opposition corners to the centre circle, not the edge of the box.