The Winter 2023/24 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

8 hours ago, yuddie said:

Would be a big signing right enough because I'd expect prem teams in the upper echelons to be in for him.

11 goals and 18 assists across 132 career games ? 

He runs fast, but so did Forest Gump.

He doesn't pass the eye test.

His eyes are very close set.

I am from the south...trust me here...that's a bad sign.

Hard pass.

Hellas Verona could be ready to compromise on their asking price for 21-year-old Scottish left-back Josh Doig due to the "economic difficulties" facing the Serie A club, with Rangers expressing a strong interest but potential rivals Torino eyeing Ajax's Owen Wijndal as an alternative. (Daily Record)

Hellas Verona are set to open talks with Rangers about the prospect of signing Ridvan Yilmaz, with the Turkish left-back poised to leave Ibrox despite the 22-year-old's strong recent performances during Borna Barisic's injury absence. (Gianluca Marzio)

Verona are willing to sell Josh Doig for a cut price as they are skint but they are interested in Yilmaz.

Sounds iffy to me.

15 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Verona are willing to sell Josh Doig for a cut price as they are skint but they are interested in Yilmaz.

Sounds iffy to me.

Not doubting the quality of Doig or the potential in using Yilmaz as part of a deal but I'm not sure. It seems to me that the only time Ridvan has shown signs of progression is when he has played 4 games in succession. ie. End of last season and now (No shit Sherlock). I would prefer to keep him. I know this deal is probably longer term planning but our success this season won't hinge on who we have at left back. We need more potent attackers/creators in the final third.

10 minutes ago, compo said:

Like most of these winter transfers they mostly seem to be done in the last few days 

I don't think that's what Clement will want. I can see our business being done early to enable new recruits to join the Spanish camp. That would make sense. 

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

1 minute ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

I don't think that's what Clement will want. I can see our business being done early to enable new recruits to join the Spanish camp.

What a manager wants and what a manager gets, during the transfer window, are two very different things.

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

What a manager wants and what a manager gets, during the transfer window, are two very different things.

Agreed but he's been here long enough to see what is potentially required for the team. I suspect that he didn't just start thinking about potential new additions a few days ago. 

Posted (edited)

Scotsman's list of our transfer targets ... including some not heard of before this window ...

Josh Doig – the Scotland Under-21 international has made a positive impression at Hellas Verona since his £3m move from Hibs 18 months ago. Rangers are said to have made an enquiry for left-back, and could look to reach a compromise with the Serie A side on their £5.5m valuation of the 21-year-old.

(DB - it very much looks like Clement likes what he sees from Ridvan. Barisic is in his last months as a Ranger. If anything, I'd expect the latter being moved on instead of Ridvan.)

Lawrence Shankland – the prolific Hearts striker would guarantee goals having netted 19 for club and country so far this season on the back of a 28-goal campaign last term. However, the question for Rangers would be whether they are prepared to meet the £5m price tag placed on the head of the 28-year-old, who has 18 months of his Hearts deal left.

(DB - Who knows how Shankland would fare with us against packed defences?  18 months, an in-form chap in the Scottish game, 3m and not a penny more.)

Steven Alzate – Rangers have reportedly held discussions with Brighton about a possible January move for the Colombian midfielder. The 25-year-old is currently on loan at Standard Liege, but according to Belgian outlet DH les Sports, his parent club are prepared to recall the player if they can sell him in the January window. It is claimed the seven-times capped international has been offfered to numerous clubs in order to make a sale before his contract expires in the summer, with Rangers among the interested parties.

(DB - as stated above, he's currently injured with a "syndesmotic ligament tear", or a high ankle sprain to you and me, and he is back in Britain for treatment.)

Kevin Van Veen – the former Motherwell striker is eyeing a return to Scotland after failing to settle at Groningen. He has claimed that Rangers are “still interested” in signing him after stating that he turned down their advances in the summer. Van Veen scored 29 goals for Motherwell last season but sources at Ibrox.

(DB - possible Walteresque stop gap solution for a department ravaged by injury and poor scoring stats. Has a contract till 2026, so will cost money. Age is no benchmark these days, as we have seen with Defoe, Canniggia and even Hateley. Scottish stats are okay.)

Million Manhoef – Vitesse Arnhem winger is another player to have been mooted as a Rangers target. The Dutch U21 international is highly rated and valued in the region of £2.5m. Rangers would face competition for his signature should they decide to make a move for him. The club are said to have been following him for 12 months and are now ready to pounce after Nils Koppen endorsed the move.

(DB - the one exciting link so far, money's about right.)

Owen Beck – Rangers have been thwarted in their attempts to sign the Liverpool left-back following his impressive loan spell at Dundee. He was recalled by the Anfield club to cover for injuries and is not available to go back out on loan, leaving Rangers to look elsewhere.

(DB - no-goer.)

Fredrick Oppegard – the PSV left-back is a Norwegian Under-21 international who has made five first-team appearances and who spent time on loan at Dutch top flight side Go Ahead Eagles last season. He was an unused substitute when PSV drew 2-2 with Rangers at Ibrox in a Champions League play-off tie back in August 2022.

(DB - untried talent from the Netherlands. Will cost money, probably less than Doig, bigger potential for future profit.)

Kai Wagner – another left-back on Rangers radar, the Philadelphia Union player is a 26-year-old German who has played 138 appearances in the MLS, scoring five goals, and was named in the league's Best XI in 2022.

(DB - freebie with bags of experience. German defenders are usually technically sound and solid.)

(EDIT: Brighton, AEK Athens, US Lecce, and some Bundesliga teams have registered their interest.)

Jose Cordoba – one of two Levski Sofia players being linked with Rangers by the Bulgarian media. The 22-year-old left-sided centre-back is a Panama international and is also said to be attracting the interest of Besiktas, Panathiniakos and Eintracht Frankfurt.

(DB - contract till 2026, who paid a whopping 110k for him. Given the interest and Scottish wheather, you would assume we are not his preferred choice.)

Andrian Kraev – the second Sofia player credited with interesting Rangers is a 24-year-old, 6ft 2in midfield maestro who has eight caps for Bulgaria. He has six months remaining on his contract and would be available for a cut-price move in January. He has previosuly been linked with Kaiserslautern in the Bundesliga.

(DB - can't remember any interest in him, yet the Scotsman manages to make two mistakes in the last sentence, "previosuly" and the small fact that Kaiserslautern is currently 15th in Bundesliga 2. That said, lots of Balkan players try their luck in Germany.)

Elsewhere (I hear cries of joy already) ...

Sam Lammers Rangers transfer exit 'offered' by Sunderland

Sam Lammers is reportedly set to be offered a way out of Rangers this month.

It's said that the struggling player could be set for a reunion with Michael Beale at Sunderland.

The Newcastle Chronicle has named Sunderland as a potential suitor for the Dutchman, 26, as Beale looks to bolster his squad for the English Championship promotion push.

The attacking midfielder arrived at Ibrox in the summer under Beale. He joined for £3.5m from Serie A side Atalanta.

So far, he has failed to make an impression at the club, having scored just twice.

Philippe Clement is expected to make some changes to his squad in the January window as he aims to put his own stamp on things at Ibrox.

And it seems Lammers could be one of the players who could be on his way out despite signing a four-year deal only six months ago.

The Scottish Sun has since claimed Sunderland have no interest in the player.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/24029333.sam-lammers-rangers-transfer-exit-offered-sunderland/?ref=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by der Berliner