The Winter 2023/24 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

The players we have brought in on loan, if signed on permanent deals may be of financial benefit to the club in the future so I can see reason in those deals. However, for this current season we needed more goals to add to the improving Dessers tally and we did not really get them. Roofe is talented but heavily unreliable. Silva has undoubted talent, but does not look like the kind of player who is going to get the odd hat trick. Matondo is inconsistant at best. McCausland is in his first full season so will need time to grow as will the new loan players. Wright is not going to add a significant number of goals. Cantwell will get more yellow cards than goals, but he will try like fudge so the fans will love him. As for goals coming from midfield, that is the stuff of dreams. Then there are our defenders who do not seem able to header a ball at times. I still think we can win this league which goes to show just what an average septic team we face currently.

9 minutes ago, Graeme Ro55 said:

The players we have brought in on loan, if signed on permanent deals may be of financial benefit to the club in the future so I can see reason in those deals. However, for this current season we needed more goals to add to the improving Dessers tally and we did not really get them. Roofe is talented but heavily unreliable. Silva has undoubted talent, but does not look like the kind of player who is going to get the odd hat trick. Matondo is inconsistant at best. McCausland is in his first full season so will need time to grow as will the new loan players. Wright is not going to add a significant number of goals. Cantwell will get more yellow cards than goals, but he will try like fudge so the fans will love him. As for goals coming from midfield, that is the stuff of dreams. Then there are our defenders who do not seem able to header a ball at times. I still think we can win this league which goes to show just what an average septic team we face currently.

i think all 3 signings add goals and assists. Clearly that was the target of our recruitment. 

How it works out is of course not guaranteed 

1 hour ago, JohnMc said:

Are we stronger now the transfer window has closed? The players we've lost are Lammers and Devine. Assuming Tav stays fit Devine leaving doesn't really affect us. Should Tav get injured we're looking at Sterling to fill in. Neither he nor Devine can give us what Tav does, so Devine leaving for the second half of the season isn't much of an issue I don't think. 

Lammers played a lot of games for us, but failed to impress and his move away takes away some competition for places and options but doesn't really weaken us. 

Incoming we've Oscar Cortes, he's just turned 20 and has played 24 first team games. He's a punt, he might prove to be very good, he might thrive in Scotland, but it'll take him a while to adapt you have to assume. I'm not sure how good his English is and there's a big cultural adjustment required for him to settle. He might prove to be an inspired signing, but it would be unfair to expect too much from him right away. 

Mohamed Diomande is the same age but has nearly 100 first team games under his belt already. Although he's Ivorian he's been living in Denmark for over 3 years so culturally he's got experience of northern Europe, a move to Glasgow shouldn't be a huge shock for him. Like all players he'll need some time but I'd expect him to be challenging for a first team place from pretty much day 1. How good he is, or can become, I've no idea, but surely he can be more effective than Lammers. 

Silva, a young player carrying a huge weight of expectation on his shoulders, and, frankly, failing to deliver on it. It's not his fault he's one of the most expensive teenage signings of all time, however, he is and the fact he's ended up in Scottish football tells us his career hasn't gone as hoped. That said he's undoubtedly talented, and like the other January signings has potential. If he can stay fit he'll play a lot, mainly because of our lack of options up front. A run of games and some confidence might be the making of him. 

So, on paper our squad is stronger today than in December, however that's not the whole story. The loss of Danilo and Sima change the complexion of the squad. Sima is our most potent forward, and his goals don't look like they've been replaced. Danilo's injury being much worse than first thought suggests we might not see him again this season. We're threadbare upfront. Certainly the loss of Sima in January is a big blow, and one I'm not sure we've dealt with.

The return of Lowry might yet make a difference. He's injured and looks like being out until April, but it's a long season with more than a few twists and turns left in it. Fit and focused, and depending on injuries or form elsewhere, he might still have a roll to play. 

We were starting to struggle in defence but a sensational new goalkeeper and a bit of perseverance in the back line has finally brought some depth and stability. Bringing back Balogun was surely one of Mick Beale's few good decisions. The return of some key players has midfield looking a little more secure but we all rightly worry about the goalscoring potency of our attacking trio/duo and, now that the opportunity to add a striker has passed, you have to wonder what Clement's intentions are.

Is the manager resigned to making the most of his limited options, hoping Dessers stays fit and Silva 'arrives' at some point. Or could he even be contemplating another Sterling-type conversion of one of his peripheral players, such as Wright or MacCausland, which seems unlikely to me but who saw Sterling as a first choice pick in midfield? Or could a significant reshuffle be on the cards, such as moving Tav into a wide attacking midfield role to add goal threat? Perhaps these are all nonsense but I'd be confident that this manager will be thinking and planning proactively rather than the fatalistic acceptance we've grew accustomed to.

I can't see the recent additions being transformative but, whatever transpires, Clement must be acutely conscious that one more injury could remove most of our goal threat and severely jeopardise title aspirations.

Edited by Bill

Like most I would have liked a goalscoring striker to be brought in, I really believe that would have secured the title. While Dessers has had a good game or two recently, he is still for me miles off the standard we need and his misses are truly awful. He needs to be replaced but it wont be this season clearly. From what little we have seen of Silva so far, he again looks like one who prefers to pass or take another touch when a shooting chance presents itself, so will not be prolific enough or greedy enough to get the goals to jsutify his price tag. Hope im wrong on both as we have a treble within our grasp if we can take enough of the chances we create. As for the two late additions, as usual I know absolutely nothing about them and i couldnt pick them out of a line up, but I hope to see them both over the next 4 home games in 2 weeks and be impressed. Certainly better than what they are replacing is the minimum (very low) expectation.

The comforting bigger picture is that our opponent didnt strengthen either, so at least we havent lost ground in that sense. It's all to play for. If we hadnt been cheated by referees (lets call it what it was) in the 2 OF games to date we would have a healthy lead, so we must keep beating more of the other 10 than they do and that will take us close. 

The biggest question is just what the hell does PC do with the Euro squad? With only 3 changes allowed and at least 5 required, he is really up against it and has huge decisions to make and will be leaving out 2 important players no matter what. The Beale legacy continues to harm us. At least he will have a couple of weeks (I think?) before he has to nail his squad so he can see how the 2 newbies settle in and if they look like they are going to take time to settle then they may get Thursdays off. We must surely bring in Balogun and Ridvan as one is our best centre half and the other is the only cover for Borna who seems to be picking up more injuries as time goes on. You would think Silva is certain to be added to the squad. Remove Sima, Davies, Lammers, Roofe, Cifuentes or any of the injured or likely to be injured again anytime soon long list.   

Broadly speaking, I thought it was a good window with the caveat of the non signing of a striker.

If Clement isn't losing his rag then I don't see the point in me doing so.

I'd give it a 7/10 initially, as ever it can look better or worse in a years time.

The young players we're signing is encouraging though.

1 hour ago, Tannochsidebear said:

While Dessers has had a good game or two recently

A goal every 99 minutes in the league since Clement joined mid October. 

1 hour ago, yuddie said:

Broadly speaking, I thought it was a good window with the caveat of the non signing of a striker.

If Clement isn't losing his rag then I don't see the point in me doing so.

I'd give it a 7/10 initially, as ever it can look better or worse in a years time.

The young players we're signing is encouraging though.

👍

Clement has made frequent statements about the need to improve our player trading performance, which is in essence a commitment to a longer term strategy with younger players with potential being developed over a period and moved on for profit. All of which we would agree with but it might not always provide any tangible benefit in the short term ... that is, over the remainder of this season.

26 minutes ago, Bill said:

👍

Clement has made frequent statements about the need to improve our player trading performance, which is in essence a commitment to a longer term strategy with younger players with potential being developed over a period and moved on for profit. All of which we would agree with but it might not always provide any tangible benefit in the short term ... that is, over the remainder of this season.

I am quite satisfied with our signings tbh, Jan window is difficult to do business. The three we have brought in look to be decent signings although time will tell as with all signings!. We have strengthened and they are PC signings, trust in big Phil.