1 hour ago, alexscottislegend said:

Why do you say that? We rank pretty high with our coefficient right now. I'm not talking about the top tiers.

I have actually just read the proposal and see what you were getting at now. We may be involved

Edited by Whosthedado

Idk about a blue league but it's definitely opened up the option of cross association leagues...

Would you lads join a league with the Scandinavian teams?

Say a 20 team league with us, celtic, hearts hibs and Aberdeen from Scotland - and 5 from each of Denmark, Norway and Sweden?

Ngl, I'd be sorely tempted.

Aberdeen chairman Dave Cormack believes that European football is on the brink of seismic change after judges said UEFA rules blocking the formation a future European Super League were contrary to EU law.

The Grand Chamber of the European Court of Justice had been asked to decide whether UEFA and FIFA acted against competition law by blocking the formation of the European Super League in 2021 and then seeking to sanction the clubs involved. The court has ruled that regulations granting prior approval for new competitions were “contrary to competition law and the freedom to provide services”. The verdict is likely to spark a fresh bid for a new Super League, with many football clubs and owners braced for a totally new landscape.

Cormack, whose club Aberdeen have been participating in the Europa Conference League, took to social media not long after the news broke of the ruling to express his concerns. He feels this will the “trojan horse towards a European Super League” and stated that Scottish football has “sleep-walked” towards this future.

“This ruling will most likely change European football forever,” Cormack wrote on X. “Replacing the 3 current European cup competitions will be approx. 60 clubs forming 3 leagues based on ranking and being guaranteed a minimum 14 European club games each season… with the only opportunity for clubs ranked 61+ being to go through qualification rounds to the enter the third league only, where there will be relegation. This will be the Trojan horse towards a European Super League and ultimately cross border leagues, because when the biggest clubs leave their National Leagues the commercial value for the remaining teams will plunge.

“Your board at Aberdeen FC has been expecting this decision for some time. Throughout our history, including this season’s group stages, the appetite for European football if anything has grown significantly. We are working with like minded clubs across Europe to make sure we do our utmost to deliver European club competition with similarly competitive clubs, the absence of which will lead to double the current gap in finances versus Celtic and Rangers, who will be included in those 60 ranked teams. As usual, in Scotland, we have slept-walked our way into this without any discussion.”

Interesting, almost as if picking up Celtics litter the past few seasons hasn't really benefitted Aberdeen or Scottish football. Wonder who at Aberdeen has the influence to drive change there. Wouldn't be Cormack would it by any chance..

4 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

Would we have any chance of being involved in this? It's supposed to be based on sporting merit...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67787981

No way in Hell.

Merit AND money...

Coefficient AND money...

You think the rich folks are gonna let us in on all that scratch without a >100,000M+ buy in?

WHO in our roster does the world wanna see? What do we bring to the table besides a coefficient?

47 minutes ago, yuddie said:

Idk about a blue league but it's definitely opened up the option of cross association leagues...

Would you lads join a league with the Scandinavian teams?

Say a 20 team league with us, celtic, hearts hibs and Aberdeen from Scotland - and 5 from each of Denmark, Norway and Sweden?

Ngl, I'd be sorely tempted.

MUCH more practicable.

I think it would be interesting, competitive and something i would definitely watch. 

Though, as I stated before I think it is also something that many Ranger and scum fans would end up hating in BOTH instances.

As there would be serious competition.

Thus destroying the existing duopoly and almost certain guarantee of silverware each season. 

The deal breaker is ultimately the 'big fish, small pond' mentality endemic to both organizations. 

People will piss and moan till the cows come home about the SPL, SFA, Scotland...refs...but that duopoly...that grip...is addictive.

8 minutes ago, Malangsob said:

No way in Hell.

Merit AND money...

Coefficient AND money...

You think the rich folks are gonna let us in on all that scratch without a >100,000M+ buy in?

WHO in our roster does the world wanna see? What do we bring to the table besides a coefficient?

MUCH more practicable.

I think it would be interesting, competitive and something i would definitely watch. 

Though, as I stated before I think it is also something that many Ranger and scum fans would end up hating in BOTH instances.

As there would be serious competition.

Thus destroying the existing duopoly and almost certain guarantee of silverware each season. 

The deal breaker is ultimately the 'big fish, small pond' mentality endemic to both organizations. 

People will piss and moan till the cows come home about the SPL, SFA, Scotland...refs...but that duopoly...that grip...is addictive.

Not for me it ain't. I want to see us prosper in a truly competitive league. If we want silverware we could play 11 pub teams every season and be bored as hell. Didn't you get a frisson when we beat Betis the other night? I expect to beat St Johnstone every season; Derek Adams said the other day that the SPL is a hundred times worse than England's League Two (!) If we were to compete v say, Gothenburg or Bruges or Malmoe, we would have a competitive league which would in turn attract sponsors. And spectators.