[FT] Celtic 2 - 1 Rangers (Tavernier 88)

1 minute ago, Bill said:

What you seem to be saying is that the decision to award a penalty for handball is purely subjective and down to the whim of the officials, irrespective of video evidence. That would certainly seem to have been the case on Saturday right enough. I'd call that cheating.

I didn't say 'the decision to award a penalty for handball is purely subjective'. I said it 'has a level of subjectivity to it'.

Just now, Rousseau said:

I didn't say 'the decision to award a penalty for handball is purely subjective'. I said it 'has a level of subjectivity to it'.

Now you're just speaking in tongues 😁

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

Neither you nor I can say it was accidental unless we have special powers to read the mind of the defender.

That's fair enough. It's just how it looked to me.

Like I said, I still think it should have been awarded. 

4 minutes ago, CammyF said:

I haven't changed the narrative, the VAR team did that by showing the "offside" still and saying that was the reason the penalty was not given. 

I said above, if they had NOT released the still, this would have all blown over. Now, they've changed the narrative, tried to cover incompetent referring (or cheating) and mudded the water. 

The rules clearly state that offside doesn't come into the equation when debating / deciding if it was a penalty, so why did the VAR team go down this road? 

I also said earlier this is now about the process (cheating) rather than penalties and offsides. 

The VAR team caused this and it needs to be investigated and if any underhanded behaviour is proven, then they need to be removed. 

I don't think VAR did release it; SKY did. I don't know why - probably to show that it wouldn't have mattered what the Referee gave on the pitch; it would have been offside anyway. 

Where's the cheating? Because the Referee made a decision we disagree with? That's childish. Even if you remove all the offside stuff and focus on the penalty, it's not an egregious decision, IMO. I do think the Referee was wrong, but, like I said elsewhere, if that goes against our defender I'd be furious. 

It's just incompetence. 

31 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I don't think VAR did release it; SKY did. I don't know why - probably to show that it wouldn't have mattered what the Referee gave on the pitch; it would have been offside anyway. 

Where's the cheating? Because the Referee made a decision we disagree with? That's childish. Even if you remove all the offside stuff and focus on the penalty, it's not an egregious decision, IMO. I do think the Referee was wrong, but, like I said elsewhere, if that goes against our defender I'd be furious. 

It's just incompetence. 

Did the SPFL not release the still to Sky? 

The cheating is the VAR. It was handball and surely nobody is denying that. The ref apparently didn't see it, hence the bye kick. VAR should therefore highlight that there was a handball and allow the ref to decide on whether it's a penalty. Surely it's the ref that should make that decision?

Just now, Bluedell said:

Did the SPFL not release the still to Sky? 

The cheating is the VAR. It was handball and surely nobody is denying that. The ref apparently didn't see it, hence the bye kick. VAR should therefore highlight that there was a handball and allow the ref to decide on whether it's a penalty. Surely it's the ref that should make that decision?

I don't know. 

It's a handball, but that doesn't mean it's a penalty. The Referee did make that decision; VAR just backed him up because it's not wrong.  

It's a joke of a system though and definitely needs looked at. I don't think it's deliberate cheating but it's terrible incompetence. Officiating in Scotland is awful, professional referees are an absolute must.

Just now, Rousseau said:

I don't know. 

It's a handball, but that doesn't mean it's a penalty. The Referee did make that decision; VAR just backed him up because it's not wrong.  

The ref didn't decide it wasn't a penalty. How could be when he awarded a bye kick? He couldn't have seen the handball.