[FT] Benfica 2 - 2 Rangers (Lawrence 7; Sterling 45+5)

7 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

The whole team defended well tonight, front to back, as I said earlier a soft pen & an own goal stopped us winning 0-2 tonight.

Our manager got it spot on tonight.

I thought Lundstram was 10/10 for effort and positioning but a bit out of his depth, football-wise.  

Edited by Gonzo79

6 minutes ago, Frankie said:

He went off injured on Saturday so must be carrying a muscle knock of some sort.

He already missed most of a season a few years back for a hamstring tear. I wonder if this one is on the same peg? 

Dessers not amazing tonight but IMO that was a hard shift. Already seeing criticism of him online. Give the guy a break FFS. We know he's ultimately not good enough but he's one of our options until the end of yhe season. That won't change so just get behind the guy. 

A dogged performance with so many first teamers out 2 goals with benfica lucky to get both, showed a real togetherness tonight against a club who dwarf out own budget and playing squad value. Big Phil is working wonders with everything he has at his disposal, I can only imagine what he could do with a summer transfer window and injury free playing squad.

Credit to the entire team tonight. Benfica are a CL class team and whilst at times they had us on the ropes, we defended manfully and took our chances when they arrived. 

Whilst everyone will chose their "standouts", and there were players who truly stood up tonight I was most heartened by the team performance. 

Next week will be another huge test, but it's Rangers, its a Thursday evening, it's the Europa League and most importantly, it's Ibrox. 

Delighted with the result although we need to keep possession better at times. And their penalty from Souttar’s handball after it had hit his head first. Just what is the ruling ?? Same happened to Newcastle away to PSG. 

And should Di Maria have been sent off? He got a yellow card first half and had a lunge at Souttar at the end.

2 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Dessers not amazing tonight but IMO that was a hard shift. Already seeing criticism of him online. Give the guy a break FFS. We know he's ultimately not good enough but he's one of our options until the end of yhe season. That won't change so just get behind the guy. 

It's always "black or white". If he scored a goal or two with the same performance the same "fans" would be saying how brilliant he was. 

He had a job to do tonight and he did it. He was lone forward and he worked his socks off. 

Linked the play reasonably well.

He's no Ronaldo, but he has proven he is an asset as he scores goal, never hides and makes sacrifices for the team.