As the hours countdown to one of our biggest European games in recent years, it also heralds a hectic festive domestic schedule that will be critical on how well we do this season. If we fail (yeah, ever the pessimist) to gain the point we require, I still believe that having come so far in the CL this year, not getting to the last 16 will feel like a failure. This isn�t to say that we haven�t acquitted ourselves well in the CL, just that we had a fantastic start to the group and failing to cash in on this will somehow equate to failure.

After the Lyon game, domestically, we face an action-packed festive period where we face the top SPL teams and the outcome of those games will give us an indication if we have what it takes to regain OUR title. The festive fixtures sees us entertain Hearts and travel to Sheepville, Easter Road and the festive fixtures concludes with a trip to The San Giro for the traditional New Year derby. This hectic schedule will test the squad to the limits and I predict a few nail-biting moments along the way. It is crucial that we emerge for this testing time (especially given our erratic away form) with CL qualification and with an edge of our rivals on the SPL.

First up is (hopefully) another magical European night at Ibrox where the atmosphere will be electric. It is fantastic to read that Didier Drogba is the latest player to ââ?¬Ë?big upââ?¬â?¢ the Rangers support and the atmosphere generated at Ibrox. Drogbas kind words come hard on the heals of Henrys after the home leg against Barcelona. Lets not let Lyon down, lets make Ibrox a cauldron and get behind the players from the first minute to the last. I would appeal for Rangers to cease with the tannoyed music for this game, let the crowd generate the atmosphere and lets get Ibrox rocking.

Walter Smiths team selection will be interesting given injuries to JCD and Run DMB. I had the feeling that Beasley was starting to settle into our style of play and like JCD offered us a fantastic option especially in Europe. Both these players had genuine pace and without them, I fear that we have no genuine pace in our team. I canââ?¬â?¢t see Walter Smith changing his formation for this crucial game, so itââ?¬â?¢ll be the tried and tested 4-5-1 but the choice of personnel will be interesting. The keeper and back four pick themselves. The midfield is where Walter Smith has options and heââ?¬â?¢ll be loathed to deviate from the tight 3 in the centre (Hendami, Fergie and Thomson) but with no Beasley, he has a decision as to who plays wide right. The candidates are SW, SN or moving LMcC to the right and playing Charlie Adam on the left. The last option is probably the one that WS will adopt and I can see why he might do this. Charlie Adam can deliver a set-piece and these could be our best chance of getting goals. The lone striker is a ââ?¬Ë?no-brainerââ?¬â?¢ ââ?¬â?? Cousin to play the lone role.

It would appear that the Lyon game has come to soon for Buffel, and that is a shame as he is the type of player that you require on these huge European occasions. He has the experience, the skill, the guile to unlock defences and we could have benefited from a fit Buffel. In saying that, I believe that he will have a significant role to play for Rangers over the next few weeks. With the games coming thick and fast, Walter Smith will have to make changes for certain games so we have to hope that the fringe players can step up to the plate and drive us forward and ensure that our season kicks off rather than fizzles out before Santa retired to for another year.

Cammy F ââ?¬â?? We Are The Peopleââ?¬Â¦.

The Heat Is On

By Andrew Dickson

LYON manager Alain Perrin admits his is the side under most pressure ahead of tomorrow's Champions League tie with Rangers.

Alain Perrin during Lyon's training session at IbroxWith the teams both on seven points in Group E, it is Gers who are ahead of their rivals by virtue of their 3-0 win at the Stade de Gerland in October.

That means a draw at Ibrox will be enough to send them into the last 16 for the second time in three seasons.

If the Ligue 1 side is to advance at their expense instead, they must end the Light Blues' 14-match unbeaten run at home in European ties.

While Smith insists his players are going into the game with a relaxed attitude, Perrin can feel the tension rising.

He rates the match as his biggest test at the Lyon helm and will not be helped by the absence of injured players Gregory Coupet, Cris, Patrick Muller and Fabio Santos.

The former Portsmouth manager said: "I think the pressure is on us. We have an obligation to get results as the supporters expect them.

"It is important we get one here and we are going to have to have the drive to qualify for the next stage.Sidney Govou

"Rangers are the favourites because they only need a draw and they will have their own fans behind them.

"It is a decisive, make-or-break match. Rangers have the advantage and they are going to try to attack us so we will need to be careful.

"They have lost their last two Champions League matches but they were away games and tomorrow they will be at home.

"Sometimes we play to play good football but Rangers play to win. We are obviously going to have mental and physical commitment to get a result."

While Perrin appears to be feeling the heat, Lyon forward Sidney Govou is less agitated by his team's predicament.

A target of Paul Le Guen's when he was in charge of Rangers, the French cap could have been lining up against his countrymen tomorrow had fate turned out differently.

As it is, he will be in a visiting side he believes can go into the match with confidence they can come from behind to claim second place in the pool.

Sidney Govou and Juninho train at IbroxHe said: "This is a big match because we can qualify for the next stage of the Champions League and there is quite a lot of pressure.

"Rangers probably have more pressure to deal with than us. Of course, we will be under pressure because we are the away team.

"But we don't really have anything to lose. It is an exciting match and different to any I have played in before.

"Rangers have an advantage as they can draw 0-0 but it doesn't mean anything. It is not easy to get a draw.

"Our coaches have told us we must try to win and have motivation. We know what we have to do and it is important to be physically strong."

As the hours countdown to one of our biggest European games in recent years, it also heralds a hectic festive domestic schedule that will be critical on how well we do this season. If we fail (yeah, ever the pessimist) to gain the point we require, I still believe that having come so far in the CL this year, not getting to the last 16 will feel like a failure. This isn�t to say that we haven�t acquitted ourselves well in the CL, just that we had a fantastic start to the group and failing to cash in on this will somehow equate to failure.

After the Lyon game, domestically, we face an action-packed festive period where we face the top SPL teams and the outcome of those games will give us an indication if we have what it takes to regain OUR title. The festive fixtures sees us entertain Hearts and travel to Sheepville, Easter Road and the festive fixtures concludes with a trip to The San Giro for the traditional New Year derby. This hectic schedule will test the squad to the limits and I predict a few nail-biting moments along the way. It is crucial that we emerge for this testing time (especially given our erratic away form) with CL qualification and with an edge of our rivals on the SPL.

First up is (hopefully) another magical European night at Ibrox where the atmosphere will be electric. It is fantastic to read that Didier Drogba is the latest player to ââ?¬Ë?big upââ?¬â?¢ the Rangers support and the atmosphere generated at Ibrox. Drogbas kind words come hard on the heals of Henrys after the home leg against Barcelona. Lets not let Lyon down, lets make Ibrox a cauldron and get behind the players from the first minute to the last. I would appeal for Rangers to cease with the tannoyed music for this game, let the crowd generate the atmosphere and lets get Ibrox rocking.

Walter Smiths team selection will be interesting given injuries to JCD and Run DMB. I had the feeling that Beasley was starting to settle into our style of play and like JCD offered us a fantastic option especially in Europe. Both these players had genuine pace and without them, I fear that we have no genuine pace in our team. I canââ?¬â?¢t see Walter Smith changing his formation for this crucial game, so itââ?¬â?¢ll be the tried and tested 4-5-1 but the choice of personnel will be interesting. The keeper and back four pick themselves. The midfield is where Walter Smith has options and heââ?¬â?¢ll be loathed to deviate from the tight 3 in the centre (Hendami, Fergie and Thomson) but with no Beasley, he has a decision as to who plays wide right. The candidates are SW, SN or moving LMcC to the right and playing Charlie Adam on the left. The last option is probably the one that WS will adopt and I can see why he might do this. Charlie Adam can deliver a set-piece and these could be our best chance of getting goals. The lone striker is a ââ?¬Ë?no-brainerââ?¬â?¢ ââ?¬â?? Cousin to play the lone role.

It would appear that the Lyon game has come to soon for Buffel, and that is a shame as he is the type of player that you require on these huge European occasions. He has the experience, the skill, the guile to unlock defences and we could have benefited from a fit Buffel. In saying that, I believe that he will have a significant role to play for Rangers over the next few weeks. With the games coming thick and fast, Walter Smith will have to make changes for certain games so we have to hope that the fringe players can step up to the plate and drive us forward and ensure that our season kicks off rather than fizzles out before Santa retired to for another year.

Cammy F ââ?¬â?? We Are The Peopleââ?¬Â¦.

Great read!

Agreed with pretty much everything and its good to hear someone else believes Buffel would/could have been the man to make a difference. However i'd pitch him in, I dont think its came too soon for him at all, I think its set up for him if given the chance.

Id love to be a fly on the wall to hear Walters views on him and his plans for the final line up.

The only doubt i have about Smith playing Buffel is what someone said the other day - if he plays 4 more games then we are due to give his former club a fee.

Were leaving together,

But still its farewell

And maybe well come back,

To earth, who can tell?

I guess there is no one to blame

Were leaving ground

Will things ever be the same again?

Its the final countdown...

Were heading for venus and still we stand tall

Cause maybe theyve seen us and welcome us all

With so many light years to go and things to be found

Im sure that well all miss her so.

Song for Lyon:

Were leaving together,

But still its farewell

And maybe well come back,

To Ibrox, who can tell?

I guess there is no one to blame

Were leaving the ground

Will things ever be the same again?

Its the final curtain...

Were heading for the UEFA Cup and still we stand tall

Cause maybe theyve seen us and welcome us all

With so many rounds to go and smaller clubs to be found

We'll all miss the Champion's League so.