Yilmaz goes off injured playing for Turkey

9 minutes ago, CammyF said:

I think the major frustration for me is the fee we paid for him (that's not his fault), I was expecting a player who'd burst into the team and outperform Barisic.

Facts / stats show that's not been the case and he has spent more time injured (or settling in?) than he has playing.

His performances have improved recently, then dipped against Benfica which was probably a mix of the quality of opposition and the fact Ridvan looked mentally and physically gone. 

In all honesty, we'll struggle to make much of a profit on him and I'd sell for "break-even".

However as said previously, with Barisic going at the end of the season, it's unlikely we'll sign 2 left backs as money / replacements required elsewhere (unless we pick up a loan or our of contract player).

Especially if the increasing rumours of Tav leaving are true. But that's a separate discussion for another thread. 

It's certainly a source of frustration. 

It was £3.5m (outwith the extras which won't have been met), iirc. At 22 we can still keep him around - at worst, as a back-up - for another couple of years and still do OK out of the deal, IMO. 

You can't just drop that Taverneir bombshell and leave it there! Where has this come from? I haven't seen anything. 

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

It's certainly a source of frustration. 

It was £3.5m (outwith the extras which won't have been met), iirc. At 22 we can still keep him around - at worst, as a back-up - for another couple of years and still do OK out of the deal, IMO. 

You can't just drop that Taverneir bombshell and leave it there! Where has this come from? I haven't seen anything. 

The potential issue with keeping him around is he doesn't play (I hope we are signing a better left back) and or worse, keeps getting injured and we'll never recoup the outlay, nevermind make a profit. 

If there is interest in Ridvan from Turkey and its £3M or higher, I think we need to take it.

Regarding Tav, there are rumours that 2 or 3 Saudi teams are looking to bid for him. Reported fee of £6M which would be hard to turn down for a player of his age.

Whether he'd fancy life in Saudi is another matter entirely, as from what I've heard he is really settled here.

8 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Bring in Yfeko. I like him. 

For Hibs at home and OF game? Sink or swim for the lad, but I'd go with Barisic. 

24 minutes ago, CammyF said:

I think the major frustration for me is the fee we paid for him (that's not his fault), I was expecting a player who'd burst into the team and outperform Barisic.

At the money paid you are entitled to both expectation and frustration.

29 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Bring in Yfeko. I like him. 

We certainly need to bottom-out a couple of things ..... is he over his injuries and is he good enough to be a regular first team player. I wouldn't hesitate to select him ahead of Barisic

Edited by Bill

24 minutes ago, CammyF said:

The potential issue with keeping him around is he doesn't play (I hope we are signing a better left back) and or worse, keeps getting injured and we'll never recoup the outlay, nevermind make a profit. 

If there is interest in Ridvan from Turkey and its £3M or higher, I think we need to take it.

Regarding Tav, there are rumours that 2 or 3 Saudi teams are looking to bid for him. Reported fee of £6M which would be hard to turn down for a player of his age.

Whether he'd fancy life in Saudi is another matter entirely, as from what I've heard he is really settled here.

That's true for any backup. 

I'd still take any money we get over what we paid. 

I'd take that for Taverneir. I'm sure he could put up with a season or two in Saudi for the money. 

39 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

That's true for any backup. 

I'd still take any money we get over what we paid. 

I'd take that for Taverneir. I'm sure he could put up with a season or two in Saudi for the money. 

£6M for a player we signed for £250,000 and who has captained with distinction would be hard to turn down. It's exactly the trading model we require.

Ridvan is the exact opposite - paid a high fee for him, he's failed to deliver and we will be hard pushed to break-even. 

I understand that players require time before a judgement is made, but try telling that to the likes of Dessers, Sima, et al who were written off instantly, and some, like Dessers is still being written off even though he has contributed more and been here less time than someone like Ridvan and who are lauded for mediocrity. 

Weirdly, the fans in our support who continue to write the likes of Dessers off are the ones who tend to laud over Ridvan.