Talks to start on plan for Ibrox rail link

RANGERS are to open talks with transport bosses over plans to build a new railway station at Ibrox.

Thousands of fans could travel to games by train for the first time in more than 40 years under proposals to recreate the stop at Broomloan Road.

Club chairman Sir David Murray is considering three options to redevelop Ibrox, which will see the ground's capacity rise by 8000 or 20,000 seats.

The most ambitious masterplan, reportedly worth �£700million to the area, would see a new 70,000 seater arena built beside a hotel, conference centre, homes and shops.

With the Subway operating at capacity and regular tailbacks on Paisley Road West and the Clyde tunnel on match days, any traffic impact study is likely to recommend a new rail station.

The Evening Times can reveal officials from the club will meet representatives from Strathclyde Partnership for Transport next month to discuss the project.

Alistair Watson, chairman of SPT, said: "We hope Rangers will look at what has been achieved with stations at the new Wembley and Arsenal's stadium.

"We are looking forward to constructive discussions with the club.

"There are two lines running from Glasgow to Paisley and a third is being added for the airport rail link. That could easily accommodate a new station but it won't be cheap."

The original train station at Ibrox was shut in 1965 and Glasgow Housing Association flats earmarked for demolition now occupy the site at the top of Broomloan Road.

David Fletcher, head of regeneration at GHA, said it wanted to "work in partnership with the communities and agencies involved" at regeneration projects across the city.

A spokesman for The Rangers Supporters' Trust, which has campaigned for the rail link to be restored, said: "We would urge the club's board, community leaders and politicians to support a rail link to the city centre and airport, and a railway station for Ibrox."

Councillor John Flanagan, who represents Govan, said he would be concerned "about any proposal to redevelop Ibrox stadium that didn't include provision for a train station at the top of Broomloan Road."

A spokeswoman for Rangers FC declined to comment at this stage.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/display.var.1962511.0.0.php

Club chairman Sir David Murray is considering three options to redevelop Ibrox, which will see the ground's capacity rise by 8000 or 20,000 seats.

The most ambitious masterplan, reportedly worth �£700million to the area, would see a new 70,000 seater arena built beside a hotel, conference centre, homes and shops.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/display.var.1962511.0.0.php

Either 8000 or 20,000 - bit of a difference there. Would the 8000 hike mean the screens being replaced with seats maybe?

But a new 70,000 seater would be awesome.

I can't see 70,000 being feasible unless we can fill it to about 65K most games. But I guess that's what the study will be testing.

I even doubt it would be a complete rebuild. I think it would be more cost effective to take off the roofs of the 3 "older" stands and put a new tier in each, fill in the corners then put a new massive cantilevered roof on all three.

A transparent roof would seem best for the already stressed out pitch.

There are other parts I'm sure the club would like to preserve for example the Archibald Leitch designed criss-crossed steel balustrade built at the front of the original stand.

I wasnt stating what they should do, just what they could do, and the only piece they NEED to keep is the frontage.