Officials ââ?¬â?? Simply Terrible, Or Something More Sinister?

Ok, before anyone launches into a rant about ââ?¬Ë?leaving the paranoiaââ?¬â?¢ to Celtc fans, lets unlike The Tims, look at some facts regarding the ridiculous decisions that could have (but thankfully havenââ?¬â?¢t) robbed us of out priceless lead in our quest to regain our SPL title.

It would be fair to say that in the vast majority of our SPL games this season we have either had a good goal disallowed or a stonewall penalty denied (and in some cases both). For arguments sake, lets review the major decisions in out last 2 SPL encounters. Firstly against Gretna we were denied one, possibly 2 stonewall penalties at crucial stages of the game. The decision by the ââ?¬Ë?linesmanââ?¬â?¢ to flag Naismith offside as he was pulled back in the box was ridiculous. However, for the same eagle-eyed linesman then to miss the Gretna keeper handle the ball yards outside his area is inexcusable. In fact, it is safe to say that the officials were the only people inside the stadium to miss the incident. Now, you never like to see players red-carded, but by the letter of the law the keeper had to go.

Yesterday in Inverness, we once again fall foul to incompetent officialling when Charlie Adams ââ?¬Ë?goalââ?¬â?¢ was wrongly disallowed. Firstly, Cousin never touched the ball and secondly, even though he did, or was deemed to be ââ?¬Ë?interfering with playââ?¬â?¢, we wasnââ?¬â?¢t offside. TV replays showed that he was yards onside and the linesman had a perfect view of the entire situation.

Now, the main point here is that there is supposed to be an SFA and Refereeing observer at every SPL match and they report back to the powers that be regarding all aspects of the game, including the performance of the officials. Surely these observers arenââ?¬â?¢t turning up to Hampden today telling the ââ?¬Ë?beaksââ?¬â?¢ that the officials had a great game? If they are, this is were sceptics like myself believe that something more sinister is afoot.

If officials are continually getting major decisions wrong, and going by watching Rangers regularly this season, they are, why aren�t they being sanctioned? Is it too much to ask that the officials know the fundamental and rudimentary laws of the game and implement these in a fair and sporting manner? I am not for one minutes asking for preferential treatment, but as football supporters we are entitled to have officials that know and implement the laws. If they are failing in their duty then the SFA / SPL must act.

If we were supporters of a certain other team in Glasgow (and I�m not talking about Partick Thistle) we would currently be abusing yesterdays linesman�s family, posting his personal details on internet sites and giving his kids a kicking at school. But thankfully, we aren�t supporters of that other club.

Cultural Differences

Thank the lord that we arenââ?¬â?¢t all the same, but I had a fantastic discussion with a friend last week regarding two of our greatest passions outside football ââ?¬â?? comedy and music. My esteemed friend and myself have hugely different views on football (if you get my drift!) but usually like the same comedy shows and musical acts (mostly punk / ska music). Now, where we do differ is if the USA or the UK have / had the best comedy and punk bands, or were the UK simply the best in these categories. My friend stated that the USA couldnââ?¬â?¢t touch the UK when it comes to comedy and punk music, this is what I took exception to!

Lets take comedy as a starting point. The UK has had far to many decent comedy shows to list here, but IMO the best the UK has had to offer are Faulty Towers, The Office, Only Fools & Horses (although it got a bit lame in later years), Blackadder (all variants), Not The Nine Oââ?¬â?¢Clock News and The Young Ones (as I said above, Iââ?¬â?¢ve missed out loads, but these are my favourites, youââ?¬â?¢ll no doubt have yours). Across the pond, out American friends have long been accused of not getting ââ?¬Ë?comedyââ?¬â?¢ but shows like (again, too many to mention them all) Married With Children (Kelly Bundy Loyal RSC), Fraser, Friends, The Simpsons (and the vastly under-rated Futurama), Sienfeld are as good as, and in some cases as ââ?¬Ë?ground-breakingââ?¬â?¢ as the list of brilliant UK shows.

As for punk music, whilst the UK spawned brilliant bands like The Clash, The Jam, Stiff Little Fingers, Sex Pistols, Angelic Upstarts, The Damned and off course the ââ?¬Ë?post punkââ?¬â?¢ explosion of new romantic and indie music. All these bands came on the back of The New York Dolls, Iggy & The Stooges, Pattie Smith, Talking Heads and The Ramones. The US then had an influx of brilliant punk bands like Bad Religion, The Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Minor Threat, Blondie etc. In Bad Religion, America has a punk band that is still recording, touring and spreading important messages regarding social justice, welfare, war etc as loud and as proud as all punk bands did in the late 70ââ?¬â?¢s and 80ââ?¬â?¢s.

So in conclusion and as I stated to my friend, the USA acts are as important, as funny and as ground-braking as the UK ones. In fact, I�ve modelled myself on the lyrics of Bad Religion and try to be a cross between Homer Simpson and Al Bundy.

Apologies that these are short and sweat this week but I have the dreaded 'lurgy'....!

Cammy F

Can't really see where you are coming from on the officials front.Yes, we have been the victim of some examples of shocking decisions but they are only human. We've had plenty of soft penalties down the years and I didn't hear anyone complaining then. At the end of the day, we won both games and sit top of the table so why are we moaning about referees?

At the end of the day, we won both games and sit top of the table so why are we moaning about referees?

At the same time though we are only one or two referee "mistake(s)" from losing the title.

Definitely Alan. I believe we have a better squad then Celtic and the tide is turning as they aren't having everything their own way this season, certainly not the luck they have had. 2 games against them to come, WS has a great record, by god Id love that to continue with those two games.

I find there are more good American comedies than British which is strange from a country that seems to come across as having no sense of humour. I think you might find that most US comedies we enjoy have a lot of Jewish input - the Jewish sense of humour is similar to the British.

Other great American shows are Scrubs, South Park and Family Guy, and I also quite like 3rd Rock to a lesser extent.

British ones are harder to find, but I loved Red Dwarf, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy wasn't bad, the first series of both Game On and Coupling were good and 2 Pints wasn't too bad.

PS The number of penalties we've had turned down this season has been shocking. I remember it was at least one a game at the start of the season including in Europe.

The hand-ball goal from Barcelona just shows how bad some other decisions are and I really think Rangers more than anyone would benefit from TV replay decisions like in Rugby.

Great shout with Coupling. Probably the one I find funniest out of the modern day comedies. Old time, its Only Fools for me

American, I cant get past Friends, but Cheers was excellent as was Frasier.

It really could be a long list

Comedy wise its all down to preferrence but I find the British Sense of humour far greater than the americans. That doesnt mean to say they cant produce good comedies. However they are very different.

For me Only Fools and Horses is our best standout but im not sure if it would go down well across the pond as when it comes to sense of humour us Brits traditionally find different things funny.