KEVIN THOMSON will return to action tomorrow afternoon when Rangers Reserves take on Hearts at Forthbank Stadium.

Kevin ThomosnThe midfielder has made a speedy recovery from a double hernia operation and has looked fit and sharp in training at Murray Park.

With the first-team squad travelling to Athens tomorrow Thomson will stay behind to face the Jambos along with Amdy Faye, Andy Webster and Steven Smith.

Manager Walter Smith confimred this morning that the Gretna game would probably come too soon for Kevin but hopes he may be available for the club's home clash against Aberdeen on March 1.

He said: "Kevin has made a very good recovery and he trained well last week.

"We are looking forward to getting him back again and are hopeful he can start to play sooner rather than later.

"I think Sunday will come too early for him but we will see how he feels after Tuesday's match."

The match at Forthbank will kick-off at 2pm.

Thomson was just starting to look really good when he got injured. Earlier in the year a lot of us including me disagreed that Thommo should be in before Hemdani, but I think since he has been out we have definitely missed his dig in the middle and I think Fergie will look better when Thomson returns to the team. Would be great to have an actual left back in the team again too, Papac has done Ok but is weak in forward areas

Thomson was just starting to look really good when he got injured. Earlier in the year a lot of us including me disagreed that Thommo should be in before Hemdani, but I think since he has been out we have definitely missed his dig in the middle and I think Fergie will look better when Thomson returns to the team. Would be great to have an actual left back in the team again too, Papac has done Ok but is weak in forward areas

Going on by what I saw on Sunday then yes we probably have missed him. In a 4-5-1 I would prefer Ferguson to sit out with Hemdani and Thomson sitting in the centre. Whoever is the 3rd central guy would be able to play without Ferguson getting on his case all the time.

Id actually like to see Novo play right and shift Burke into the role behind the striker seen as Buffel or Gow are never going to get a chance. The position is vital to a 4-5-1 and needs an attack minded player. Burke cant cross a ball so maybe he could slip a few short passes into the striker.