Rangers 3 : 1 Aberdeen - Player Ratings and MoM Poll

He has been a regular for the seasons we havent won a trophy, WS comes in and bit-part plays him and we are still in 4 competitions and id say we will win at least 2 ;)

Yeah and hes still our top goalscorer ;)

He has been a regular for the seasons we havent won a trophy, WS comes in and bit-part plays him and we are still in 4 competitions and id say we will win at least 2 ;)

Conversely we're doing far better in results terms now that Hemdani is playing a bit part role. Kind of sums up the ridiculousness of placing all achievement or failure on one player when it's a team game with XI players on the field, never mind the issues of squad depth, injury, suspension, effect of the backroom staff and luck.

One of the problems when we play Boyd (and this isn't his fault) is that we tend to play the 'long ball' game and deliver everything in the air to him. He does tend to get isolated and can not hold the ball up, or bring other players into the game (Cousin, JCD et al can).

Boyd knows what parts of his game he needs to improve on and maybe its just me, but he doesn't appear to be improving in those areas. I would have JCD, Cousin and Novo up front before Boyd at the moment as we appear to be stuck with the 4-5-1 formation.

Cammy F

One of the problems when we play Boyd (and this isn't his fault) is that we tend to play the 'long ball' game and deliver everything in the air to him. He does tend to get isolated and can not hold the ball up, or bring other players into the game (Cousin, JCD et al can).

Boyd knows what parts of his game he needs to improve on and maybe its just me, but he doesn't appear to be improving in those areas. I would have JCD, Cousin and Novo up front before Boyd at the moment as we appear to be stuck with the 4-5-1 formation.

Cammy F

Whilst I agree that he struggles to hold the ball up when playing as a lone striker, there are also serious defects in the way the rest of teh team play in this formation.

Boyd is exceptional at winning flick ons in many games. Take Pana away as an example. But his team mates lack either the workrate or intelligence to make supposrting runs. As I have pointed out many times, he doesn't just flick the ball straight behind him, he gets up and directs it into space. Boyd could potentially work in a 4-3-3 if it was played as an attacking formation and the wide men actually did their job of supporting him.

Agree with the negatives of playing Boyd in this formation though.

Whilst I agree that he struggles to hold the ball up when playing as a lone striker, there are also serious defects in the way the rest of teh team play in this formation.

Boyd is exceptional at winning flick ons in many games. Take Pana away as an example. But his team mates lack either the workrate or intelligence to make supposrting runs. As I have pointed out many times, he doesn't just flick the ball straight behind him, he gets up and directs it into space. Boyd could potentially work in a 4-3-3 if it was played as an attacking formation and the wide men actually did their job of supporting him.

Agree with the negatives of playing Boyd in this formation though.

Sorry, I think its Boyd that doesn't have the intelligence to play in 4-5-1 - the other players look far more comfortable with JCD or Cousin upfront - prime example was Hearts at Tynecastle. Ripped them apart playing football on the ground with JCD then Novo playing the lone role and creating mayhem. Boyd just can't do that.

Boyd comes into his own in a 4-4-2 where he has a partner as well as support from the wings and midfield. I cannot see WS adopting his style to accomidate Boyd. Rightly or wrongly, we'll stick to 4-5-1 as its served us well so far this season

Cammy F

Sorry, I think its Boyd that doesn't have the intelligence to play in 4-5-1 - the other players look far more comfortable with JCD or Cousin upfront - prime example was Hearts at Tynecastle. Ripped them apart playing football on the ground with JCD then Novo playing the lone role and creating mayhem. Boyd just can't do that.

Boyd comes into his own in a 4-4-2 where he has a partner as well as support from the wings and midfield. I cannot see WS adopting his style to accomidate Boyd. Rightly or wrongly, we'll stick to 4-5-1 as its served us well so far this season

Cammy F

Agree with that, the lack of intelligence comment was in respect to one aspect of play. Boyd could be utilised more effectively in a 4-5-1 (although I would still not be for this) if we played to his strengths.