Calm Before The Storm

So in Rangers terms, we have a quiet week ahead. After a hard fought victory over Hibernian, we have a weeks break (thanks to a meaningless and badly timed international friendly) before setting our sights on the small matter of the 2nd Old Firm game of the season.

Once again, we did just enough to secure the three points against Hibs on Saturday and whilst the performance wasn�t entirely convincing, we are at the stage of the season where results are far more important than performances. JCD started the ball rolling with a fantastic finish from a tight angle (what a pass from Papac) and then Nacho Novo came off the bench to secure the points with a well taken goal of his own.

As I said above, next up is our second encounter of the season with the hooped horrors from the East End. It should be the third and penultimate Old Firm game of the season, but we now face the prospect of three Old Firm games in quick succession and the league title is the only avenue now open to our bitter rivals as a source of silverware (no laughing at the back).

We are still in pole position in the race for the SPL leading by 3 points and having a game in hand. The timing of our next league games may go a long way to deciding the destiny of the league title, so a victory on Saturday takes extra significance. As we showed in the previous encounter at Ibrox, we have the squad and the mentality to defeat the hooped horrors and go into the game with confidence and expectancy.

Walter Smith�s team selection will also be crucial as I firmly believe that if we attack Celtc from the start, take our chances and nullify them we will emerge victorious. Given that, I would start with the 11 below and will try to explain my thinking in their selection :

Alan McGregor ââ?¬â?? A no-brainer ââ?¬â?? Scotland and Rangers best keeper at the moment.

Kirk Broadfoot ââ?¬â?? has silenced his critics with some very decent and consistent performances.

David Weir ââ?¬â?? All the experience in the world and appears to have put a shaky spell behind him.

Carlos Cuellar ââ?¬â?? Simply outstanding ââ?¬â?? Player of the year by a country mile.

Sasa Papac ââ?¬â?? Unspectacular, but very consistent in a position that is not his own

Christian Dailly ââ?¬â?? A perfect guard for the back four and has plenty of experience. Also a threat from set-pieces.

Stevie Davis ââ?¬â?? Been a great loan signing and will be busting a gut to be unleashed against the HHââ?¬â?¢s.

Barry Ferguson ââ?¬â?? on his day the best player in Scotland by a country mile. Need his leadership qualities, drive and determination to shine on Saturday.

Nacho Novo ââ?¬â?? His pace, trickery and directness will trouble Celtcs back line ââ?¬â?? has a fantastic knack of scoring in Old Firm games.

JCD ââ?¬â?? Again, his pace and power will upset the Celtc defence and he knows where the goals are

Now, the wide left position is the hardest to chose. In my opinion we have three options and all three have their own merits for starting the game :

Lee McCulloch ââ?¬â?? his strength and power will upset their back line ââ?¬â?? dangerous from set-pieces and gives 110%

Charlie Adam ââ?¬â?? not everyoneââ?¬â?¢s cup of tea, but undoubtedly our best deliverer of set-pieces. An area that can win you Old Firm games

Stevie Naismyth ââ?¬â?? Pace and trickery would unsettle their defence

So there you have it, but no matter what team WS picks (I can see him going along the same lines as the Bremen game at Ibrox where he�ll pick an 11 not to get beaten first and foremost), we as fans must get right behind them from the first minute to the last. As a wee prologue, here is a video of the day we turned Parkhead into a sea of Red, White & Blue -

The Big Announcement

Was out in Glasgow after the Hibs game on Saturday and was inundated with texts telling me that there was a ââ?¬Ë?huge announcementââ?¬â?¢ imminent from Ibrox. I then starting ââ?¬Ë?serial textingââ?¬â?¢ a few folks (sorry Del!!!!) asking if they knew anything about this announcement.

As the night progressed, it appeared that this announcement had captured the imagination of the assembled Glaswegians as it the topic of conversation in most drinking establishments that we visited. I have to say that some were more interested that others though!

Well, imagine my disappointment when I awoke (rather hung over I may add) to a text on Sunday morning from Rangers telling me that my season ticket would not be increased next season and that Rangers were giving away free tickets to the Sporting away leg.

Now, donââ?¬â?¢t get me wrong, both are significant gestures by the club (I just hope that the hardy lot that follow follow Rangers all over Europe get first dibs at the Sporting tickets ââ?¬â?? I am not sure this will happen as 2 guys from our RSC who have 8 points with the TC were refused tickets for Bremen but guys with two points were successful.). The most significant part of the season ticket announcement is the decrease in prices for children. This is a wonderful gesture by the club as the children that go to games now (for as little as Ã?£7 per game as of next season) are the future of the club. For once, Rangers have actually gotten this correct.

Anyway, I actually believed for one drunken moment that I would wake up on Sunday morning to the announcement that SDM had sold Rangers to someone who actually cares about us and who would invest in the club with a long-term goal. It was a brief and fleeting moment, but nice whilst it lasted. At least it wasnââ?¬â?¢t more ââ?¬Ë?moonbeamsââ?¬â?¢Ã¢â?¬Â¦..

The Dublin Loyal

For every decision that our board gets right, they get another 10 wrong. One such example was the banning of the Dublin Loyal banner from Ibrox. I have just reading on another forum that the Dublin Loyal met with the club today regarding the atrocious decision to ban their banner. Sadly, but predictably, Rangers are standing by their initial decision to ban this banner. However, the guys from The Dublin Loyal have stated that the campaign to have this ridiculous ban overturned will continue and will distribute leaflets at the game on Saturday.

I have said this for over 5 years, I really despair at the idiots that are currently running our club ââ?¬â?? as Frankie and the RST state, it is time we, the fans get representation on the board to ensure decisions like the above are rectified in a quick and efficient manner. Come on Rangers, overturn this decision now.

Cammy F ââ?¬â?? Support The Dublin Loyal - We Are The Peopleââ?¬Â¦.

Cammy, you would leave Thomson out after his great performance against Hibs?

Agree Bluedell Thomson makes up for the weakness of Ferguson. Even though it is well known i will be glad to see the back of fergie, this is not the game to drop him. I will be curios to see how Davis and Thomson would play but not at this moment in time.

Calm Before The Storm

Once again, we did just enough to secure the three points against Hibs on Saturday and whilst the performance wasn�t entirely convincing, we are at the stage of the season where results are far more important than performances.

Walter Smith�s team selection will also be crucial as I firmly believe that if we attack Celtc from the start, take our chances and nullify them we will emerge victorious. Given that, I would start with the 11 below and will try to explain my thinking in their selection :

Alan McGregor ââ?¬â?? A no-brainer ââ?¬â?? Scotland and Rangers best keeper at the moment.

Kirk Broadfoot ââ?¬â?? has silenced his critics with some very decent and consistent performances.

David Weir ââ?¬â?? All the experience in the world and appears to have put a shaky spell behind him.

Carlos Cuellar ââ?¬â?? Simply outstanding ââ?¬â?? Player of the year by a country mile.

Sasa Papac ââ?¬â?? Unspectacular, but very consistent in a position that is not his own

Christian Dailly ââ?¬â?? A perfect guard for the back four and has plenty of experience. Also a threat from set-pieces.

Stevie Davis ââ?¬â?? Been a great loan signing and will be busting a gut to be unleashed against the HHââ?¬â?¢s.

Barry Ferguson ââ?¬â?? on his day the best player in Scotland by a country mile. Need his leadership qualities, drive and determination to shine on Saturday.

Nacho Novo ââ?¬â?? His pace, trickery and directness will trouble Celtcs back line ââ?¬â?? has a fantastic knack of scoring in Old Firm games.

JCD ââ?¬â?? Again, his pace and power will upset the Celtc defence and he knows where the goals are

Now, the wide left position is the hardest to chose. In my opinion we have three options and all three have their own merits for starting the game :

Lee McCulloch ââ?¬â?? his strength and power will upset their back line ââ?¬â?? dangerous from set-pieces and gives 110%

Charlie Adam ââ?¬â?? not everyoneââ?¬â?¢s cup of tea, but undoubtedly our best deliverer of set-pieces. An area that can win you Old Firm games

Stevie Naismyth ââ?¬â?? Pace and trickery would unsettle their defence

So there you have it, but no matter what team WS picks (I can see him going along the same lines as the Bremen game at Ibrox where he�ll pick an 11 not to get beaten first and foremost), we as fans must get right behind them from the first minute to the last. As a wee prologue, here is a video of the day we turned Parkhead into a sea of Red, White & Blue -

�.

Agreed that this is the time in the season when its just results that matter and the kind of football goes out the window, especially with the amount of games we have to play.

Im almost with you 100% on the team for the OF. Although have to say Id have given Papac a bit more credit - I think for a centre half he has been brilliant at LB recently - and a definate for the game on Saturday.

I also think Davis will be deployed out wide again and Thomson will play - meaning probably Novo sitting on the bench. But Nacho has a great record against Celtic so he may start.

The back 4 and Mcgregor is a gimmie so they not need be discussed.

The midfield - Ferguson and Davis will play for sure and either Dailly and/or Thomson - depending if Novo gets the nod. Also depends on Daillys broken toe - but then Hemdani cant be overlooked.

But isnt it refreshing to have so much options of strength - I use to have little confidence in OF games until WS came back due to the lightweight of our midfield and weaker defenders.

Cant wait for the game, where i firmly believe we will be in touching distance of the title after it. We are by far the better team.

The build up has started, can't wait for Saturday :D

I think you have got the defence spot on there Cammy

The midfield though , i think will be 5 men in there, Davis out on the right and Novo out on the left. With the 3 central midfielder of Ferguson, Thomson and Dailly ( that's if Ferguson and Dailly have recovered :) )

Up front i could see Walter starting McCulloch, due to his physical prescence up there, but Darche can create a chance out of nothing with a quick turn. I would like to see Dache, get behind the Celtic defence with his pace

About the announcement, i was really pruod of the club making these gestures to the fans. Sir David Murray said there will be another announcement in May, which looks like it's going to be the announcement of the new stadium and the complex which will surround it. He said that only 20% of it's revenue will come from football, so this is a major thing. It also looks like Walter will get at least 10 million to spend this summer.

Yes Sir David has said he would like out the club, but he is still enjoying to be here, looking towards the future of Rangers, yes the new stadium etc etc will attract a buyer, but Sir David is waiting for the right man for the job

I would play exactly the same team as we did on Saturday against Hibs...

I'm still unsure about Davis on the right and McCulloch has been poor lately but I think they'd give us the best balance and solid outlook to nullify Celtic and win the game physically.

Cammy, you would leave Thomson out after his great performance against Hibs?

Yes I would - KT did play well on Saturday, but I feel that the 11 I posted above give us more flexability and will cause Celtc problems.

It's a hard decision as to who to leave out especially when it comes to OF games - I just feel that a midfield 3 of Fergie, Dailly and Davis is better suited to the OF game as I feel that Nacho MUST be deployed wide right as he has a great record against Celtc.

Hey, its all about opinions tho :)

Cammy F

I feel that Nacho MUST be deployed wide right as he has a great record against Celtc.

Absolutely! If he plays left I'll be baffled. Im not convinced with Davis wide right, but I am if he is in the centre.