Early musings on Thursday's team

I know it's pretty bad that Burke and Naismith were crocked yesterday. However, the eight changes to the first team resulted in two of our fringe players being injured rather than two of our mainstays.

So the changes kind of paid off.

Pity that MacGregor, Adam and McCulloch are already out as well as Fergie and Thomson suspended.

Some will be pleased at the omission of a few of these but our stuttering results in the cup with second string teams have shown that we miss our top players when they are not there.

Who does that leave us?

Our goalkeeping solution is obvious and our usual solid defence probably picks itself. The three central midfield players will also be picked by default. Up front it's a straight choice between two. So that just leaves the wings where we're short.

Players missing from there are Burke, Adam, Naismith, McCulloch and Beasley - which is pretty unlucky. Davis is also missing as he'll be taking over Bazza's role. However we still have Novo and Whittaker that can fill these positions and the question is as they are both right footed, is which side to play them on?

I'd go for Novo on the right as Whittaker seems to be reasonably comfortable on the left.

To me the team almost by default has to look something like:

___________Alexander___________

___Broadfoot Weir Cuellar Papac___

Novo Dailly Davis Hemdani Whittaker

________Cousin/Darcheville_______

__________Alexander_________

Broadfoot__Cuellar__Weir__Papac

Whittaker_Davis_Hemdani_Daily_Novo

_________Darchville___________

Cousin for me is probably the better striker but I don't think we can take the gamble on whether he can be arsed or not on the night.

I've stayed away from papers and rangers forums etc since Wednesday night. Can anyone fill me in on the extent of McGregors injury ?

_________Alexander_______

Whittaker__CC__Weir__Papac

Novo__Dailly__Hemdani__Davis

________Buffel_______

______Darcheville_____

thats the team id go for. but we would have to keep the ball on the ground. its no use punting the ball up to novo and darcheville as the win very little. i know we can pass the ball and keep posession, we did to sporting on their own turf. having novo and buffel on the flanks gives us a bit of pace, width and guile, something that has been evidently lacking in the side of late.

Cousin for me is probably the better striker but I don't think we can take the gamble on whether he can be arsed or not.

Its a terrible thing to say about a Rangers player but also very very true.

Or Buffel left-mid with Whittaker at right back?

Agreed. TBs showing in the SC semi showed that he may have something still to offer.

Granted, the standard of the opposition is a tad different. Nevertheless, his experience at this level could be vital.

Guest Birkenhead
_________Alexander_______

Whittaker__CC__Weir__Papac

Novo__Dailly__Hemdani__Davis

________Buffel_______

______Darcheville_____

That'll do me

Can't argue with Calscot's team selection - given the palyers available to WS, the players chosen by Calscot look certain to start. Only possible change is playing SW wide right and Buffel wide left.

Cammy F