Early musings on Thursday's team

I doubt Tam Buff will play as he's no left winger. If he was to play it would have to be in behind the lone striker, but he is far more attack minded than any other midfielder we have and whilst he may cause the opposition greater problems he would not provide the solidity in the midfield that Walter is after.

With Tam Buff playing it would be more 4-2-2-1-1, like a variation on 4-4-1-1 e.g

Alexander

Whits Weir CC Papac

Hemdani Dailly

Davis_________Novo

Buffel

Cousin

Rather than our traditional 4-5-1 of

Alexander

Whits Weir CC Papac

Hemdani Dailly

Davis Buffel Novo

Cousin

A slight difference but a difference none the less. We would have less players right in the engine room and even if Buffel played a more disciplined, deeper role he is not the same player as a Davis, a Thomson or a Fergie and would not help us to dominate this area (I know, we don't do this anyway).

From a tactics and formation point of view and for what he brings to the game with his individual attributes I just cannot see Walter starting him.

Personally I would in the "4-2-2-1-1" type formation I suggest above. :box:

Not team news but the full game will be shown on STV\ITV. It will also be streamed on the STV website for those who can't get to a telly. As usual it probably won't be available outside the UK though.

We are down to the bare bones. I agree with SA there maybe a chance Novo starts on the left.

Is there a chance in Furman or Faye even coming into the thoughts to pack up the midfield??

For me its the same as SA:

___________________Alexander____________________

Whittaker_____Weir__________Carlos__________Papac

____________Hemdani_______Dailly________________

_____Davis___________Buffel____________Novo_____

____________________Cousin_____________________

please no buffel, i'd rather play faye thats's how badly I rate him for us.......

____________Alexander_____________

___Broadfoot _Weir _Cuellar_ Papac___

_Novo_Dailly_Davis_Hemdani_Whittaker_

__________Cousin/Darcheville_________

:D

I would like to see something like this. Cousin is defo bench material. He just doesn't do any chasing/running. Darch and Novo for 70 minutes at least will chase them down, and then the other to come on for the last 20. If needed bring Cousin in but TBH I would rather not have him in.

___________________Alexander____________________

Broadfoot_____Weir__________Carlos__________Papac

____________Hemdani_______Dailly________________

_____Davis___________Buffel____________Whittaker_____

____________________Novo/Darch_____________________

please no buffel, i'd rather play faye thats's how badly I rate him for us.......

____________Alexander_____________

___Broadfoot _Weir _Cuellar_ Papac___

_Novo_Dailly_Davis_Hemdani_Whittaker_

__________Cousin/Darcheville_________

:D

Don't get me wrong, if we had anything approaching a full squad then he wouldn't be anywhere near my thoughts. But the other option is playing several players out of position, many of whom will not be the standard solid midfielders Walter likes to pack his midfield with. Instead we'll have wide/winger types and strikers playing out of position.

With a squad decimated due to injury and suspension, the central midfield and left midfield positions particularly of concern, then whatever we do it will be a gamble and the gamble I would make is to play Buffel as the advanced central midfielder supporting the lone striker.

Back in Eck's last season it was mainly due to Buffel's intelligent play that Lovenkrands looked so good in Europe. Maybe this sort of game would suit him.

As I stated from the beginning though, best he can hope for is the bench.