Celtic star Aiden McGeady caught up in street clash

Apr 29 2008 By Paul O'Hare

CELTIC star Aiden McGeady was caught up in a street brawl just hours after Sunday's Old Firm match.

The winger clashed with Rangers fans after being taunted as he left a nightclub with team-mate Scott McDonald, 24.

McGeady, 22, was targeted by the yobs who squared up to him and chanted: "If you hate Aiden McGeady clap your hands".

One onlooker said: "They were right in his face and very threatening."

Seconds later, the Republic of Ireland international was attacked. McGeady is said to have defended himself and the bust-up was over in seconds.

McDonald was not involved in the scuffle.

The two players had been celebrating their team's 3-2 win over Rangers when trouble flared outside Bamboo in Glasgow.

Hours earlier, Australian McDonald scored two goals and was brought down for Celtic's penalty clincher.

But it was McGeady who was singled out by the drunken louts.

Police were called to the city centre nightclub around 3.30am yesterday but no complaint was made.

A Celtic spokesman said: "The players made the club aware of this incident on Monday. Aiden has made it clear he'd be more than happy to co-operate with the police as both players were undoubtedly the aggrieved parties in this unfortunate incident."

Midfielder McGeady was last week named Scotland's player of the year and young player of the year by his fellow professionals.

But one Parkhead season ticket holder who witnessed the fracas was critical of the star.

He said: "Nobody deserves what happened to Aiden and he did his best to avoid the confrontation.

"But I don't think it was too clever going out after a Celtic v Rangers game, especially after his team had won.

"It's a sad indictment of Glasgow but players are best lying low after an Old Firm match."

The incident came just 24 hours after Motherwell captain Paul Quinn was attacked in Wishaw, Lanarkshire. He suffered a broken jaw and is out for the rest of season.

Meanwhile, a Celtic fan has died after being attacked in Govan, Glasgow. Patrick McBride, 51, was assaulted by a gang around 9.30pm on Sunday.

It's believed the Gorbals man suffered a heart attack.

He was not wearing any football colours but cops believe the confrontation was triggered by the Old Firm game.

Three men, all aged 21, were arrested in connection with the incident and are expected at Glasgow Sheriff Court today.

There were six other arrests linked to the Old Firm match, mainly for minor offences.

I hoped we were above this sort of Bullshit.

Meanwhile, a Celtic fan has died after being attacked in Govan, Glasgow. Patrick McBride, 51, was assaulted by a gang around 9.30pm on Sunday.

It's believed the Gorbals man suffered a heart attack.

He was not wearing any football colours but cops believe the confrontation was triggered by the Old Firm game.

Pretty quick to blame football and ignore the ned culture destroying our country...

The one's who attacked McGeady bring shame on the rest of us. It's crap that just because you're a footballer that you can't go out for a drink and enjoy yourself.

The second incident sounds like they are just making it up. The guy was a Celtic fan so it must be about football. Most guys support some team, so does that mean that any fracas is about football?

I've been attacked when I was younger, I'm a Rangers fan, does that mean it must have been Celtic fans attacking me? Unless they have real evidence they should leave the conclusions open and the reporters should not report mere speculation.

Maybe he was attacked by fellow Celtic fans for saying that Boruc is a twat...

See, it's easy to just make it up.

It is wrong that players have to deal with that sort of crap. BUT they are handsomely paid to be in the public eye. If its encroaching on their family that is unacceptable, but being asked for photo's or getting a song sung at them after a boozy night out? part and parcel of being a public figure IMO. Take the bad with the good if you chose that lifestyle!

It is wrong that players have to deal with that sort of crap. BUT they are handsomely paid to be in the public eye. If its encroaching on their family that is unacceptable, but being asked for photo's or getting a song sung at them after a boozy night out? part and parcel of being a public figure IMO. Take the bad with the good if you chose that lifestyle!

Can't disagree more about the 2nd part of your post Andrew. Regardless of them being paid handsomely and regardless of them being in the public eye no-one signs up to be accosted in the street and threatened - this turned into a fisticuffs and, if the reports are to be believed, then McGeady was innocent in all manner.

It shouldn't matter what someone gets paid and it shouldn't matter that someone is in the public eye - after the leave "work" they should be entitled to live a normal life, which includes going out to have a drink.

Doesn't matter what my personal thoughts on McGeady are, we should all be allowed to go out and have a drink in peace - some banter is acceptable, threatening behaviour without being provoked ? No way.

No-one should be assaulted. Regardless of who they are, or even in some trying circumstances what they have said.

I just feel its hypocritical of those celebrities who think they are special and demand to be treated as such, and then complain and ask to be treated as normal. However I am not saying this is what has happened in this case. And as regard to footballers, they are paid ambassadors of their clubs, dealing with the fans is part of the job, and if privacy is what they are looking for then they should chose discrete locations (as I would do if I was looking for a quiet night!).

Its more a celebrity thing as opposed to this specific case, they can't have their cake and eat it as they say! Maybe thats part of whats wrong in this society which sensationalises everything and celebrities are idolised to religious proportions.

No-one should be assaulted. Regardless of who they are, or even in some trying circumstances what they have said.

I just feel its hypocritical of those celebrities who think they are special and demand to be treated as such, and then complain and ask to be treated as normal. However I am not saying this is what has happened in this case. And as regard to footballers, they are paid ambassadors of their clubs, dealing with the fans is part of the job, and if privacy is what they are looking for then they should chose discrete locations (as I would do if I was looking for a quiet night!).

Its more a celebrity thing as opposed to this specific case, they can't have their cake and eat it as they say! Maybe thats part of whats wrong in this society which sensationalises everything and celebrities are idolised to religious proportions.

I definitely agree with the "celebrity" thing. Those that want and seek celebrity status but then demand privacy are hypocrites and deserve any unwanted media attention.

I definitely agree with that.

I definitely agree with the "celebrity" thing. Those that want and seek celebrity status but then demand privacy are hypocrites and deserve any unwanted media attention.

I definitely agree with that.

I agree with this, but there is also a growing mentality whereby people think because someone is a celebrity that they don't like, they can treat them like shit - and do stuff like attacking them or vandalising their property.

It's more-so in the younger generations but not surprising when you see parents take their kids along to the games and proceed to abuse opposition players on the park. The youngsters are taught to abuse players from a young age and will therefore be primed to take it further.

There is also the mentality in society today, where the guy who attacked McGeady will actually get a load of Kudos when he boasts about it, when really he should be frowned upon and derided.

We can't complain about Celtic fans' behaviour if ours do the same and I'm gutted someone let the side down. I thought we were people because we didn't lower ourselves to that sort of thing.

Today, WATP has a very hollow ring to it.