Celtic star Aiden McGeady caught up in street clash

I agree with this, but there is also a growing mentality whereby people think because someone is a celebrity that they don't like, they can treat them like shit - and do stuff like attacking them or vandalising their property.

It's more-so in the younger generations but not surprising when you see parents take their kids along to the games and proceed to abuse opposition players on the park. The youngsters are taught to abuse players from a young age and will therefore be primed to take it further.

There is also the mentality in society today, where the guy who attacked McGeady will actually get a load of Kudos when he boasts about it, when really he should be frowned upon and derided.

We can't complain about Celtic fans' behaviour if ours do the same and I'm gutted someone let the side down. I thought we were people because we didn't lower ourselves to that sort of thing.

Today, WATP has a very hollow ring to it.

My feelings exactly.

I agree with this, but there is also a growing mentality whereby people think because someone is a celebrity that they don't like, they can treat them like shit - and do stuff like attacking them or vandalising their property.

It's more-so in the younger generations but not surprising when you see parents take their kids along to the games and proceed to abuse opposition players on the park. The youngsters are taught to abuse players from a young age and will therefore be primed to take it further.

There is also the mentality in society today, where the guy who attacked McGeady will actually get a load of Kudos when he boasts about it, when really he should be frowned upon and derided.

We can't complain about Celtic fans' behaviour if ours do the same and I'm gutted someone let the side down. I thought we were people because we didn't lower ourselves to that sort of thing.

Today, WATP has a very hollow ring to it.

Agreed, and hence why I said they deserve unwanted media attention. They don't necessarily deserve abuse from Joe public just because they are a celebrity.

I went to Easter Road for the opening game of last season where Hibs played the Sheep, went with the wife and mother-in-law and was astounded to see 7 and 8 yr olds all around us effing and blinding at the sheep players..... and they were with their parents. Shocking behaviour which can only bode badly for the future.

Where was that reported?

I like the way we've all just assumed McGeady is the innocent party.

In another paper I read a report which attempted to give both sides of the story. In that report McGeady's pal defended him. Another party suggested McGeady was the perpetrator rather than the victim.

Now the report was inconclusive and you'd need to await the outcome of any investigation, but it did not reflect well on McGeady.

He sounds as if he wrongly attacked a guy who was in a group that were giving the players "banter". Now the verbal abuse may have gone beyond banter, but it is suggested that the "victim" was telling his mates to tone it down when McGeady head butted him and punched him a few times.

As with the piece quoted earleir by a Mr O'Hare :rolleyes: it may not be the whole truth, so lets not jump the gun.

McGeady has a reputation for cowardly assaults on the field (he injured Burke last year with one such example), at least he does for me, so it would be in keeping with his character.

We shouldn't jump the gun, true. But I still condemn the way some people think that it's big to noise up a "celebrity" and I wouldn't be surprised if it went further.

Plenty of our players have had their cars or homes vandalised, so I condemn any Rangers fan that does the same to our opposition.

We shouldn't jump the gun, true. But I still condemn the way some people think that it's big to noise up a "celebrity" and I wouldn't be surprised if it went further.

Plenty of our players have had their cars or homes vandalised, so I condemn any Rangers fan that does the same to our opposition.

Can't disagree with that.

"He was not wearing any football colours but cops believe the confrontation was triggered by the Old Firm game."

Typical Timmy Mhedia reporting there. They must have been attacking him because he was a C****c supporter.

Agree 100% mate. We need to start educating that you are accountable for your actions when wearing a scarf or a replica shirt!

Accountable for your actions at all times, irrespective of whether you are wearing football colours. At least in my view.

Accountable for your actions at all times, irrespective of whether you are wearing football colours. At least in my view.

Yes, but being pished on a Friday and having a punch up is not anything to do with Rangers or the support of them, and I feel that this is just another stat that the Mhedia are trying to label Rangers fans as a disgrace when someone, who was not wearing any football regalia was done over. As for the lads arrested were they wearing any football atire?

Lest we forget not many outside C****c like McGeady the turncoat traitor.

I've met many people in my life I don't like, who have made decisions I disagree with but have never felt the need to abuse them or to assault them. It's not a problem with Rangers fans, Celtic fans or any other fans, it's a problem with our society today. The punishments meted out by our courts are laughable to the point where there is no deterrent for the sort of behaviour that has becomne commonplace. McGeady should be able to go where he wants, when he wants without fear of any sort of abuse and certainly not of assault.