Violence In Manchester

Guest True Mancunian

Guest True Mancunian

We welcomed the Gers fans with open arms to our city. We, despite some media warnings, were happy to have you here. We were happy for the council to use our taxes to erect screens for you to watch free of charge, pay for Police overtime too. All at short notice when it was realised it would be Rangers in the final. (And something the council has never approved for any games for our teams here, you were lucky!)

It was a lovely sunny day, great party atmosphere.......and then you lost the game. Best team on the night won. Disappointed, but hey, I would love that my beloved Man City could get so far in that cup!

But no, the Gers fans then have to revert to the stereotype of drunk violent Scot that the media warned us about.

Women and kids terrified as you rioted down Market Street. Mayhem and fighting, as you turned first on each other, and then the Police. (No angels I know, but you gave them their excuse they wanted)

I got punched in the face for the simple reason that I was 'a Manc bas*ard', who apparently had 'no f*cking right to be there', at a train station in my own city.......

Don't come back here Rangers, you are not welcome again.

I am deeply sorry for the people who behaved like this mate.These people are nothing more than thugs..no supporter behaves like this.

Assistant Chief Constable Justine Curran said: "Today has been a largely peaceful day in Manchester, full of carnival and celebration, and well over 100,000 people have been in the city and behaved themselves.

"But I'm really disappointed that has been spoiled by pockets of disorder that have broken out in the city centre.

"A minority of thugs have overshadowed what should have been a great occasion.

I was at Alberts Square, and had a very good day, outwith the actual match. At the end I wandered up to Piccaddily, where the fighting was, and it was a complete embarrassment what was going on. Was like a war, with police running around and choppers hovering. Fucking disgusted at it.

Let me apologise for the idiots that always seem to pop up when we travel.

I will never condone such lunacy.

Looking at the facts though - TV screen where 25,000 fans were going to watch the game broke. They couldn't fix it, they have been drinking all day and indeed encouraged to to create a happy atmosphere... OK, idiots started throwing bottles and cans, and again this cannot be condoned. But to actually expect no idiots to start causing a rucus is naive at best.

Also, the GMP are an extremely hands on force, always have been. Drunken people do not accept people being hands on, especially in uniform. Even more so when there team has lost a major final.

Now I will state again that I do not condone any of these idiots, and I hope that the scum who stabbed the Russian fan are banged up.

But Manchesters people have been great (this from people who were there), unfortunately the officials etc who have stated " we have hosted sporting events before, we know it all..." As for GMP, they are totally inept at handling any kind of event like last nights.

I am sorry True Mancunian.

Thats disgusting behaviour from those who were fighting. They certainly arent part of the Rangers family.

I feel terrible for any innocent man, women or child who was effected by such behaviour. Unfortuantly every club has a bad element amoungst the support.

Guest True Mancunian

I appreciate your replies as genuine fans, but it is that 'minority' that will be remembered here by most now. Sadly.

And yeah, the screen in Piccadilly broke, but the engineer called to fix it was having bottles hurled at him and had to retreat. He could have fixed it if given chance, apparently.

My final point also, is that to be fair to the council, it was only when it was Rangers that made the Final ,that they had to put into place the screens and security etc to cope with fans arriving without tickets. The City of Manchester Stadium, and surrounding areas and approaches are well organised and specifically designed for such numbers. The city centre isn't.

As such it was as well organised as was reasonably possible, as those in Albert Square testify to. The technical fault on the screen in Picadilly was an unfortunate occurance, but no excuse for what followed.

Just in work in the city centre now, and it looks like a war zone in Piccadilly, and with respect to the real Gers fans who are ashamed by it, your name is mud with people here who simply feel our hospitality was thrown back in our faces.

But there is nothing new about the '' MINORITY''causing trouble,this is our 19th European game this season,so surely we can't be condemned for this one day of NEDS causing trouble.Instead of highlighting the Neds and letting them win,you have to be honest and say that the real Rangers fans suffer more than anybody with this sort of behaviour.I just wish every one of them could be thrown in jail,and you'll also find that these idiots NEVER normally go to games.Unforunately we all get tarred with the same brush,which is wrong,but that is the way the people of the UK see things,especially the media.Don't go damning all Rangers fans,because that will only make you look as bad as them.And remember ALL football clubs experience this,NOT JUST RANGERS FC

I was at Manchester last night... The party mood was excellent all day, great weather.

If a TV breaks 10 minutes into a game and people have came down to watch "the game of their lifetime" and not getting to see it. Then obviously they aint going to be in an accepting mood.

Obviously the level isn't acceptable, but how can the council have the TV running all day then cut out during the game. Theres a failure from them right there.

P.S. i spoke to a police officer on the way home and they were saying it was Mancunians also who were involved in the rioting with police.

We are all ashamed of what went on but i've no doubt that the idiots starting the trouble probably have never even been to Ibrox in their life. The final being in Manchester made it easy for any tom dick and harry to travel down ,claim to be rangers 'fans' and have an excuse for a party.

IF True Mancunian is what he says he is then fair enough. I have every sympathy . But i feel its a bit pathetic to come on here and give it the 'your not welcome' patter. The blame doesnt lie with anyone in these forums!!

Wouldnt surprise me if this guy was infact a Timposter getting a dig in.

We are all ashamed of what went on but i've no doubt that the idiots starting the trouble probably have never even been to Ibrox in their life. The final being in Manchester made it easy for any tom dick and harry to travel down ,claim to be rangers 'fans' and have an excuse for a party.

IF True Mancunian is what he says he is then fair enough. I have every sympathy . But i feel its a bit pathetic to come on here and give it the 'your not welcome' patter. The blame doesnt lie with anyone in these forums!!

Wouldnt surprise me if this guy was infact a Timposter getting a dig in.

Was thinking that myself mate