Barry Ferguson made his debuut as a 16 year old in season 94\95 but it was when Dick Advocaat arrived in season 1998/1999 that he became a regular member of the team. In 2001\2002 he became the youngest ever Rangers Captain at the age of 23. In his first season under his leadership Fergie led Rangers to a cup double but rumours were already ripe that Dick Advocaat had lost the dressing room and that there was a Dutch-Scottish divide. Dick Advocaat was promoted to technical manager and Alex McLeish took over the managerial reigns. In 2002\2003 Fergie captained Rangers to a Scottish treble of the two cups and the league championship. He was named player of the year and became a cult hero to some supporters. He has never captained a league winning team since.

At the start of season 2003\04 he left Ibrox to join Blackburn in which some supporters think he committed a cardinal sin and see him as a turncoat, while other supporters think he was pushed unwillingly out the door to ease the financial pressures, Rangers were under at that time.

During a tormented time at Blackburn in which he claimed to be homesick, he suffered a serious injury,when he fractured a knee cap. Admitting he had made a mistake in leaving Rangers and after much negotiation Barry returned to Rangers just before the transfer window shut in January 2005. He played his part in helping Rangers led by captain Fernando Ricksen, lift the SPL trophy with virtually the last kick of the ball in what was called helicopter Sunday.

At the beginning of season 2005\06 Barry was reinstated as Captain which again split the Rangers support in pro and anti Fergie groups. As Rangers League chances quickly diminished again rumours of dressing room troubles reared their head and Alex McLeish was informed he would be leaving at the end of the season. A great run in the Champions League, where Rangers reached the knock-out stages gave McLeish a great add on to his CV, and the supporters hope for the new season under paul le Guen.

Rangers had a great start to the season under PLG which was without an injured Barry Ferguson. Some would say we played the best football in years.

When Fergie was fit, PLG reinstated him in the team and quickly results started to go pear shaped. Again dressing room drama's were hitting the media. Players not wanting to follow special diets. Players not wanting to train twice a day. PLG dropped Barry Ferguson saying he was undermining his authority. David Murray chose to back Fergie and possibly keep the majority of fans happy and let Paul le Guen walk away on mutual agreement.

Enter Walter Smith, who has been brought back in to steady the ship. He supposedly warns Fergie to toe the line. Fergie is pushed into a more forward attacking position, playing behind the lone striker in a 4-5-1 formation. With only a handful of good performances again this season and Rangers losing an almost unassailable lead, Barry is once again portrayed as captain courageous playing through the pain barrier for the love of his team.

Rangers supporters again seem split on the Barry Ferguson enigma.

Is he the super captain he portrays or is he the dressing room snake in the grass PLG tried to oust?

Is he a team player or is he on a one man ego trip?

Is Barry Ferguson unmissable as many supporters believe or is he actually a negative catalyst on the team?

Is Barry Ferguson the world class player some people believe he is or the mediocre player other supporters see him as?

That he has a Rangers heart is beyond question but does that give him an endless claim to a starting place no matter how he performs?

Personally i think he does have the best for Rangers at heart but in that lies his pitfall. I believe he thinks he is Rangers knight in shining armour and the weight of the club lies on his shoulders. I also do not think we got the same player back from Blackburn that left us eighteen months earlier.

Barry Ferguson is not unmissable and certainly not bigger than Rangers football club. I am under no disillusion that he will be replaced in this transfer window but it must be time to evaluate his true worth to the team and have a replacement waiting in the wings.

Is that your own piece Pete?

Its spot on and shows how up and down it has been for him and the club.

Giving him the captaincy back so soon was a huge mistake IMO, he needed to earn it first but was handed it too soon.

I agree we were playing superb stuff under PLG when he was injured but IIRC the same thing happened during McLeish's reign when he was injured.

But there is no doubt that pre injury he was a better player. He had De Boer to compliement him plus the likes of Albertz before that.

I dont think he thinks he is Mr Rangers and bigger than the club but I do think he carrys far too much responsibility and I dont like his attitude on the pitch towards other players when he blames them for everything, even his own mistakes. On occasion he should have easily put an arm round a player rather than mouth off to him.

This thing about playing with an injury carrys no weight IMO.

As ive said before, this coming season is huge for Ferguson. If he is anything like last year he has to be dropped and give someone else a chance, he cant be played on reputation and on the hope he will come good every week. In saying that if we get him firing on all cylinders then its all good for the team.

But I still dont know where to play him. Id rather see him play a deeper role than a more forward one anyway.

His attitude of wanting to take every corner kick, every free kick and every throw in has a negative affect on the team. He thinks he's Mr Rangers. Basically he needs a reality check and the sooner it happens the better.

In season 02/03 he took most set pieces and ended up with 17 goals!

He is well of the pace now though. Contraversial maybe, but I think if he had better players around him, it would bring out the class he has. At the moment he isn't going anywhere

I don't always copy and paste.:P All my own work. Well Fergie had a hand in it as well.

The pool that he captained to the treble included:

Klos Ricksen Moore Amoruso Numan McCann Flo Barry Ferguson Arteta Konterman Lovenkrands Arveladze R de Boer Latapy Muscat Mo Ross Malcolm S Hughes Dodds Caniggia Mols Nerlinger Hutton MacLean S Thompson Bonnissel

The team would mostly have been:

Klos

Ricksen Moore Amoruso Numan Barry Ferguson Arteta R de Boer Arveladze

Caniggia Lovenkrands.

To be honest to Barry it is not his fault we do not have players of this standing at Ibrox today and as he received all player of the year awards i think it is unfair to say it was all due to R. de boer and Co.

What i will say looking at the players in front of him, R de Boer Arveladze Mols and Caniggia shows me the importance to have more than one player up front who can control a ball.

What i will say looking at the players in front of him, R de Boer Arveladze Mols and Caniggia shows me the importance to have more than one player up front who can control a ball.

I would agree but also add to that.... players who have MOVEMENT - every one of those players gave great movement, into channels to take balls, pulling defenders away etc - something that only JCD really does for us up front right now.

I would agree but also add to that.... players who have MOVEMENT - every one of those players gave great movement, into channels to take balls, pulling defenders away etc - something that only JCD really does for us up front right now.

Yup i agree totally Craig. AZ showed that over the last two seasons, with Arveladze up front they were almost, and should have been champions. Last season without him they were fighting in the bottom places.

In season 02/03 he took most set pieces and ended up with 17 goals!

He is well of the pace now though. Contraversial maybe, but I think if he had better players around him, it would bring out the class he has. At the moment he isn't going anywhere

My thoughts exactly.

Ferguson ,in my opinion , has been surrounded by mostly average players for the past 3 seasons. Some less than average even. I realy dont know what more we can expect from Barry when we've been playing some very poor football for 3 seasons and a dull 4-5-1 formation in more recent times. If we had a bit of movement or creativity in our team then we will get the best out of Barry.

Brilliant peice Pete.

IMO, Ferguson was outstanding whilst surrounded by very good players but it was RDB who brought out the best in Ferguson. De Boer seemed to know exactly when Fergie was about to burst from the midfield and they linked up brilliantly.

RDB has never been replaced at Ibrox and I believe that Ferguson, more than most has suffered for this lack of creativity ahead of him.

Cammy F