Blackburn Rovers in �£3m bid to nick Steven Davis from Rangers

BLACKBURN last night attempted to sabotage Steven Davis' move to Rangers by tabling a s3million bid for the Fulham star.

New Ewood Park boss Paul Ince wants to make the talented midfielder his first signing for his new club but the offer was rejected straight away by the Londoners.

Manager Roy Hodgson, who led the Craven Cottage side to Premier League survival last season, is refusing to let the 23-year-old leave for anything less than s4m and has already rejected two bids from Ibrox.

The Northern Ireland star returned south for training this week, hoping Walter Smith would meet Fulham's valuation.

Rangers are looking to increase their initial bid of s3m but they are not prepared to add another s1m on top of that.

But the news of Blackburn's interest is certain to worry the Ibrox boss and the Rangers fans, who are desperate to see the classy player return next season after being a big hit on loan for the second half of the season.

Davis played a big part in Rangers' quadruple quest which finished in disappointment, with the consolation of the Scottish and CIS Cups.

His contribution has been noted by Ince, who replaced Mark Hughes this summer, but the player is desperate to return to the club he supported as a boy.

Ince said: "I'd like to bring in one or two new acquisitions because that would help to freshen things up, which I feel is important.

"I've been making plenty of phone calls and following up various leads but, at this moment in time, there's nothing concrete to report."

But Ince is believed to be ready to increase his initial bid to worry Rangers.

Ibrox boss Smith added: "Talks with Fulham about Steven are ongoing.

"That is something we have been doing and will continue to do over the next few days.

"We're always looking around and there are one or two positions where I would hope to strengthen.

"The squad has improved with the players we have brought in so far and hopefully that stands us in good stead.

"With regards to our strikers, it is obvious to suggest people might move on when you sign a few first but we want good competition in the team.

"We could afford to lose a few players but if we do that, our overall squad won't be affected too greatly."

Meanwhile, Stevie Smith last night confessed he could quit Rangers next summer if he fails to win his first-team place back.

The 22-year-old defender was a frustrated spectator as his team-mates battled it out for trophies on four fronts towards the end of last season.

The Bellshill boy, out of contract in the summer of 2010, was out of action for 15 months with recurring pelvic and hernia problems before coming back against Partick Thistle in the Scottish Cup in March.

But Smith has set himself the challenge of winning his place back.

He said: "I am not getting any younger and I feel I am at the age where I want to push on.

I want to become a regular again and if it doesn't happen then I will have to review my situation at the end of the season so it is such a big year for me."

Meanwhile, goalkeeper Allan McGregor has been cleared to resume full training.

The Rangers No.1 missed the UEFA Cup Final in Manchester and the Scottish Cup Final as well as the Ibrox club's hectic league run-in last season after damaging his ankle against Celtic in April.

He has also recovered from knee surgery.

Ibrox boss Smith said: "Allan has been given permission to step up his training and I would hope that within the next week, he will be back in among the rest of the players on a full-time basis.

"I'm sure he'll be ready to resume playing when we go to over to Holland and Germany."

I hope we don't sign him on the basis of 500.000 after 50 games. We know after 49 games he will never play again.

I hope we don't sign him on the basis of 500.000 after 50 games. We know after 49 games he will never play again.

surely even Bain couldn't be that stupid :D

It is a worry though. As soon as prem teams show serious interest (they DID only bid �£3 mill) in Davis, our chance of getting him is fading fast.

surely even Bain couldn't be that stupid :D

It is a worry though. As soon as prem teams show serious interest (they DID only bid �£3 mill) in Davis, our chance of getting him is fading fast.

Unfortunately through Sky they have a lot more money to spend than we do.

sad but true.

He isnt worth �£4m as a right winger and it's not likely he will get a place in the centre ahead of BF or KT and now BH is staying with us, it's even more unlikely. If we need a RW (which we do) then get one who plays there naturally.

He isnt worth �£4m as a right winger and it's not likely he will get a place in the centre ahead of BF or KT and now BH is staying with us, it's even more unlikely. If we need a RW (which we do) then get one who plays there naturally.

Seems our best option is to stick Beasley on the right, BF and Thomson in MF, maybe Lafferty on the left and wait until someone suitable for CM/RW is available