ALLY McCOIST has told Kenny Miller he only has to look at one man for proof he can win over Rangers fans - Mo Johnston!

There was outrage among a section of the Ibrox support when Johnston crossed the bitter Old Firm divide in 1989 to sign for Gers after becoming a Celtic hero.

But a memorable late winner at home to the Hoops endeared him to his new club's fans.

McCoist played alongside Johnston so knows more than most what Miller, who also played for Celtic, faces.

And Walter Smith's assistant says anyone who doubts the Scotland striker's ability to play for the club is talking rubbish.

McCoist said: "I can still remember Mo scoring an Old Firm winner after 88 minutes - Chris Morris went to close him down and he drilled the ball past big Pat Bonner.

"Mo was more of a scorer than Kenny but they're similar in their work ethic which should endear him to the players and fans.

"The one thing wee Mo did was work his socks off. If you do that people will make allowances in other areas and Kenny will be the same.

"The Old Firm is a tough place to play, there's a graveyard full of strikers who didn't succeed. It's about how you handle it and I have no problems with Kenny's attitude and desire.

"He's good enough to play for Rangers and anyone who says otherwise is talking nonsense.

"Fans are maybe having a go because he played with Celtic and some are blinkered that way.

"But Kenny has shown his bravery by taking the more difficult option - it would have been easy to spend the next three years elsewhere."

McCoist worked with Miller for the national team and rates him the country's best all-round striker.

He said: "Kris Boyd has goals, James McFadden has great talent and a spark but you'd have Kenny starting in your team before anyone.

"It probably stinks of hypocrisy me saying it but intelligent people know there's more to Kenny than goals.

"He's a far better player than his scoring record shows.

"If you have someone like Boyd who can score for fun that might be the perfect foil.

"Kenny is totally unselfish but I'd look to improve his attempts on goal and make him a bit greedier. I hope fans give him a fair crack of the whip."

Sorry i can't say Mo Johnston and Kenny Miller in the one sentence.

The thing I disagree with is having Miller in th team ahead of McFadden. McFadden has that something extra that he would have to be in the team.

I see where McCoist is coming from though, I have always though Miller is a decent player. I think he is going to be more suited for us this time round.

McFadden, Miller, Sebo, etc etc

Which of them will put the ball in the net more than Boyd? ;)

Rhetorical question really as the answer is none of them....

but miller and sebo work bloody hard m8 and faddy can show some touches of magic every 10 games or so.;)