are we going to get a creative midfielder?

im quite sure walter smith all but promised a creative midfielder at the end of last season, as it was so apparent it was needed. but now everyone's started talking about our new first 11 - do we think that we're going to go with pretty much what we have?

are there creative midfielders in mind that perhaps we dont know about yet?

I genuinely hope we sign at least one more midfielder...

The return of Beasley will ease concerns in that regard but we definitely need a central and/or right-sided player to compliment them.

I'm also unsure Davis is the answer.

There's a long way to go so it's a bit of wait and see. McCoist mentioned about looking for a midfielder in his interview but maybe decisions can't be properly made until it is known that we have a deal or not with Davis.

The 3M on the table would certainly make a difference about what other midfielders we could look at.

There always seems to be a lot more movement at the end of the transfer window when clubs start to panic or time just runs out for alternative buyers or targets.

We just sold one ;)

A lot may depend on what happens with Davis.

As much as we need someone with that creative spark, if we do get one it means we have to change our system. Right now we can change our system from 4-5-1 to 4-3-3 without much problem but if we take a creative guy in the this is normally to play a central role behind the strikers. So fitting this player plus Thomson and Ferguson (assuming those 2 are starters) will mean 3 central midfielders.

I guess we just have to hope WS has someone up his sleeve.

Part of me thinks he isnt going to go after a luxury type player or he would have kept Buffel. I think he will go for a more reserved 4-3-3 with a central trio of Thomson, Ferguson then 1 from Dailly, Hemdani or Davis and allow the forward 3 to be more free.

A creative player need not play through the middle. A quality RM/Winger would do nicely. If you have two decent wingers and strikers who can find the back of the net with ease you don't really need a no.10.

You can only play 4-5-1\4-3-3 if Beasley, Novo or an inform Burke play. Having Whittaker or Adam on the wing means your 4-5-1 remains a 4-5-1. There is no point in paying 3mill+ for Davis and sticking him on the wing imo.

I think we should knock the Davis deal on the head and find an alternative attacking midfielder for the 3M.

However Davis does match the profile of players we are looking for - promising young, British players whose values could rise.

You can only play 4-5-1\4-3-3 if Beasley, Novo or an inform Burke play. Having Whittaker or Adam on the wing means your 4-5-1 remains a 4-5-1. There is no point in paying 3mill+ for Davis and sticking him on the wing imo.

Agreed and that is where I felt we came unstuck last year. The 4-5-1/4-3-3 worked well when you had proper wingers who could damage defences - it was no surprise that we were at our best with Beasley and Novo/Burke playing the wings as they were proper wingers.

With Adam and Whittaker it is definitely more of a 4-5-1 with very little support for the striker.