Pedro Mendes Performance

I'm not sure if it's just me, but i thought KT played with a bit more freedom on saturday. He looked well at ease with Pedro in there beside him.

He seemed to want to get involved in the last third a lot more than usual.

Not sure if it was the pedro influence or Watty has told him to get more involved offensively. Whatever the reason, he looked more like the player we bought from the hibees. Energetic and influential.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but i thought KT played with a bit more freedom on saturday. He looked well at ease with Pedro in there beside him.

He seemed to want to get involved in the last third a lot more than usual.

Not sure if it was the pedro influence or Watty has told him to get more involved offensively. Whatever the reason, he looked more like the player we bought from the hibees. Energetic and influential.

Absolutely no question - he had a midfielder beside him who he knew he could rely on. It was glaring that he felt he didnt have to be as restricted as he had been in previous games when he was the only natural CM playing.

And it was a joy to watch him picking the ball up and making those forward runs - he and Mendes seemed to inter-change the forward runs excellently.

Just watched the game there. Thomson was MOM IMO. Boyd was a glaring weak link as ever and I don't really like the look of Velicka now I've seen him a few times. Maybe we should sign a couple of strikers;)

Ok, I bite. Boyd is a goal scorer & not an all-rounder, so he's always gonna look like a week link or whatever you want to call it when he's not getting the right service & scoring goals. When he IS, he's the hero & a MOM candidate. There's no doubt in my mind that Boyd's goals will help secure the SPL this season. :devil:

Mendes was still MOTM for me but Thomson ran him close - to be honest I dont care who got it - the bigger thing, for me at least, is we had TWO midfielders vying for MOTM and those two midfielders looked like they had been playing together for YEARS.

I look at Boyd perhaps slightly differently from others. He didn't score granted but he DID get himself into the position to give himself a chance on a few occasions (in the first half when he tried to lov the keeper then in the 2nd when he was one on one). He at least gets himself in the right place at the right time which will invariably mean that chances will present themself to him.

Velicka on the other hand did very very little too and IIRC only found himself with one half chance - yet, again, we find ourselves giving Boyd the hard time.

I am neither pro nor anti Boyd - he just brings goals to the team and I can see the argument on both sides. But I felt, in the 2nd half at least, that he put a shift in and put more pressure on the Hearts defenders and did more defensive running than I have seen him doing for a long time.

At the very least, it looked to me like he was TRYING to be more of a team member, which is what WS and AM wanted of him was it not ?

I agree with BTBBilly, a 4-3-3 would be our best bet.

Id have Thomson to do the graft and tackling then Mendes and Davis to do the creating in the centre. Then 2 wide players and 1 striker.

As many strikers as we have, absolutly NONE of them have shown any good form. Lafferty has started games ok but faded later, Velicka was good preseason but was poor against Falkirk until he scored, and everyone knows I think Boyd makes the team weaker. But its still early days, WS needs to decide who to play with and give it a bash, unfortunaetly he seems to be going with Boyd and Velicka which is a bad option.