I still think that this is an area, both sides, where we need strengthening. I noticed that Juan Pablo Sorin has been released by hamburg - getting on a bit, but a proper left back and someone with a wealth of experience. The other one I noticed is Moritz Volz at Fulham -Ipswich have apparently had a half million pound bid accepted. Both players I think would enhance the squad and probably even the first team. Anyone any other notions of full backs we could have a look at?

I still think that this is an area, both sides, where we need strengthening. I noticed that Juan Pablo Sorin has been released by hamburg - getting on a bit, but a proper left back and someone with a wealth of experience. The other one I noticed is Moritz Volz at Fulham -Ipswich have apparently had a half million pound bid accepted. Both players I think would enhance the squad and probably even the first team. Anyone any other notions of full backs we could have a look at?

Hutton ? :fish:

Naismith at Sheff Utd ? Never was overly keen on him but knows the Scottish game well enough.

Hutton ? :fish:

Naismith at Sheff Utd ? Never was overly keen on him but knows the Scottish game well enough.

I liked Naysmith at Hearts, and when he first went to Everton, but has been bothered by injuries and the last couple of times I've seen him, he doesn't look the player he was.

Wiltshire FC Twente. Australian so no language barrier. The guy is possibly as good as getting forward as Hutton was,and has a third lung. Just signed a new contract so he won't come cheap.

I know i keep on about FCTwente players but they were the best football playing team in Holland for the last 2 years.

We definatly need cover. Id say RB was needed first as if Papac gets injured Whittaker can switch to LB or we may even get S Smith in for a few games. But if Whittaker gets injured then our answer will be Broadfoot or Dailly - nightmare!!!

Suggestions above would be good buys BTW

We definatly need cover. Id say RB was needed first as if Papac gets injured Whittaker can switch to LB or we may even get S Smith in for a few games. But if Whittaker gets injured then our answer will be Broadfoot or Dailly - nightmare!!!

Suggestions above would be good buys BTW

They would be good buys but both are left backs and as you say, it's right back where we need to look first. Sadly can't think of anyone, except Stevenson the Hamilton right back looks promising - too inexperienced at the moment.

I think Whittaker needs a good run of games at right back to show us that he can offer the quality required.

At left back, Papac certainly isn't the most most glamorous player in the world but he certainly offers reliability and consistency. He also seems to be improving his runs forward.

As it stands we may need full backs but they are not priority.

They would be good buys but both are left backs and as you say, it's right back where we need to look first. Sadly can't think of anyone, except Stevenson the Hamilton right back looks promising - too inexperienced at the moment.

Wiltshire plays RB although he is like a winger at times.

Wiltshire plays RB although he is like a winger at times.

It's been a while since we signed anyone fron the Netherlands, surprising for a club who can boast Numan and the de Boers among their ex players. I too think there is value for money there but WS seems to have a blind spot for the country. Could this be because of the disparity in wages between Scotland and the Netherlands?

For left back Papac has been doing a reliable if unexciting job and seems to be getting better all the time at the role and is coming forward more.

We also still have Stevie Smith to come back and hopefully he can emulate Hutton after his injury.

So to me the left side is ok.

On the right we need Whittaker to get a run to recapture his Hibs form. At the time I thought we took him too early as he still seemed rough around the edges at Easter road and seemed far better at going forward than defending. That made many people think he'd make a good winger with defensive qualities and I think that's what role he could have initially been bought for.

However, with the sale of Hutton and his disappointing form on the wing, his destiny seems to be the right back slot, but he is yet to show he is of the required standard in that position.

It's a bit damning for him that Broadfoot, who is generally considered a middling centre half, is preferred to former Hibs man.

That brings me to Broadfoot and to many he's not really shown that he can play more than a bit part in the squad. To his credit he works hard in what is not his natural position but his pace is not great, he's a bit rash in the tackle and his distribution and crosses make many fans think that they could do a better job. Maybe, he's just not of the required standard for Rangers - as a first or even second choice anyway.

Then we have Dailly who looked reasonably good in January but now looks like he should go down the divisions or retire.

However, Mo Johnson said last night that Edu can play right back (although he's better in midfield) so the way WS sometimes picks his team, perhaps he'll slot in there...

So while it's a position lacking in quality, it's not lacking in quantity.

The trouble is that despite having plenty of players, central defence looks less solid. Brougherra is a definite first choice and looks quality; however, Weir doesn't look like he can last the pace of playing every week. I fancy Wier as good cover but would like a better first choice.

We have backup in Broadfoot, Dailly and Papac but that's not really comforting unless the latter can show the same consistency there as he has at full back.

Edu again can fill in at central defence but I think it's too important a role to put a midfielder into - including Hemdani, whom I expect to leave in any case.

So to me, a quality centre half is a priory over a full back. I would be happy for the cheque book to be closed if we brought a decent one in.