Edu Granted Work Permit

Not sure I agree BD.

If we play with a midfield 3 (or is that 5) with Mendes, Beasley, Novo, Davis etc etc then I think we would need the workhorse type that Thomson is.

Also, I don't think it is too much of a surprise that Thomson had one of his best games in a long time last week whilst playing beside Mendes - he was breaking up play but getting forward much more too. I have to admit that I like Thomson as a player.

One thing though - you said that you hoped Edu would replace Thomson - Edu is a defensive midfielder so not sure that he would bring the creativity that you desire.

Thomson is a Stuart McCall type player - quiet, unsung, hard-working and effective. At 2 mill I reckon we got a much better deal than Celtic did for Brown (watched him on TV against St Mirren and he was no better than Thomson IMO)

If you are playing him in a midfield 5 as you suggest then OK, but last season he was played in a midfield with himself, Davis, Adam, Fergie and McCulloch and there was no creativity and no pace anywhere.

Perhaps if we start playing with flair players then my view may change.

Although Edu is defensive, it doesn't mean he can't have creativity, although I don't know anything about him.

I agree that brown will come into his own this season, but for what we payed for thomson we had the better deal and the more I see of him the more I rate him.

He works hard as stated above and he plays alot better with good players around him. Going to be hard to pick the midfield this season. Good change.

Do you think Edu is replacing Hemdani as the defensive midfielder ?

I reckon that now Brown has his personal issues behind him he will be a lot better player this seeason.

Going by his performance midweek, it's not looking that way. Was a huge fan before he moved to Celtic and was gutted we never got him - but havent seen anything since to justify that. Thompson on the other hand played really well on wednesday and, although not been completley consistent, has been a good signing for us. Think he'll work well with Davis and Mendes. At the same time, delighted that Edu got his permit and looking forward to seeing him.

If you are playing him in a midfield 5 as you suggest then OK, but last season he was played in a midfield with himself, Davis, Adam, Fergie and McCulloch and there was no creativity and no pace anywhere.

That's because having Adam and McCulloch in midfield is like playing with 9 men :D.

Hopefully with us now having plenty of options, those two along with Dailly will get nowhere near the midfield this season ...except maybe the reserves.

Going by his performance midweek, it's not looking that way. Was a huge fan before he moved to Celtic and was gutted we never got him - but havent seen anything since to justify that. Thompson on the other hand played really well on wednesday and, although not been completley consistent, has been a good signing for us. Think he'll work well with Davis and Mendes. At the same time, delighted that Edu got his permit and looking forward to seeing him.

Didn't see the game, and I'd love Thomson to make me eat my words.

Guest PortGlasgow

///WARNING///just in from the pub/////

Completely disagree Bluedell, Thomson is an absolute stalwart in def midfield. I dont understand why anyone cant see the contribution he makes when were not in possession.

Cant wait to see Edu in action, I've watched MLS before and always remember Toronto being absolute gash so will be interesting to see how he does in the SPL.