Fergie Back Next Month

by Lindsay Herron

RANGERS boss Walter Smith has revealed that skipper Barry Ferguson could be back in action next month.

Smith believes that Ferguson could be only a few weeks away from returning and the Dundee United game at Ibrox on October 18 could be a realistic target.

Walter SmithFerguson has not featured at all this season having had ankle surgery in July but all things being equal he could be leading the side out in the middle of next month.

He is working hard with the medical team at Murray Park having completely recovered from the operation.

Smith said: "Barry should be back within three to four weeks depending how things go and that will be good for us, of course.

"Gradually we are getting all of the injured players back and that is going to be beneficial.

"I think Kyle Lafferty will be fit for the Motherwell match on Sunday. He missed the international matches with Northern Ireland and then had to sit out the Kilmarnock game.

"But we think he will be available again this weekend.

"Lee McCulloch is also on the mend and Chris Burke is close to full fitness while Stevie Smith is recovering from his ankle probem so we are gradually getting everyone back,"

This has been debated ad nauseum but a 4-5-1 works very well with the right players. It is only a 4-5-1 when not in possession but a 4-3-3 with the proper personnel.

A central midfield of Mendes, Fergie and Thomson is appealing and then with 2 wide players such as Beasley/Aaron and Novo/AN Other would actually work really well.

I would give Mendes more of a free role and have Fergie and Thomson doing the sweeping.

I don't think 4-5-1 is as defensive as it appears.

That said - the problem then becomes the "1" - we don't have anyone who seems natural for that role (not since Cousin left).

So maybe 4-4-2 is the right way to go but we sure have plenty of options these days, far more than we had last season

This has been debated ad nauseum but a 4-5-1 works very well with the right players. It is only a 4-5-1 when not in possession but a 4-3-3 with the proper personnel.

A central midfield of Mendes, Fergie and Thomson is appealing and then with 2 wide players such as Beasley/Aaron and Novo/AN Other would actually work really well.

I would give Mendes more of a free role and have Fergie and Thomson doing the sweeping.

I don't think 4-5-1 is as defensive as it appears.

That said - the problem then becomes the "1" - we don't have anyone who seems natural for that role (not since Cousin left).

So maybe 4-4-2 is the right way to go but we sure have plenty of options these days, far more than we had last season

A point I have tried to raise previously. And with Cousin gone, who only played the "big" games, it becomes even more pertinent!

Whilst that may allow for our best options in midfield, i think it leaves us with an impotent attack.

A point I have tried to raise previously. And with Cousin gone, who only played the "big" games, it becomes even more pertinent!

Whilst that may allow for our best options in midfield, i think it leaves us with an impotent attack.

I would like to see big Lafferty given a shot at the role. I think he posseses all the attributes to be a success at it.

If Smith is to play 451/433 I would play :

Davis Mendes Fergie Thomson Aaron/Beasley/Novo

I know in an ideal world this formation should be played with two natural pacey wide players but I don't want to see any of the 4 dropped. Playing this way would see Davis take up the roll he did against celtic by covering big Kirky and coming in more central whilst attacking. I think we would be reliant on big kirky providing the width on the right hand side.

Agree with Craig that if we play 4-5-1 then we have to have proper players in the wide positions. Id give Lafferty, Velicka, Novo and Miller a try to see if they play the forward role alone.

But we have started this season well with a 4-4-2. To go to Parkhead and destroy them shows the difference of having real midfielders. Id like to see 2 of the strikers ive mentioned a try together.

Im not convinced I want Ferguson back in the team yet. He surely cant walk back into a winning side - why brake whats not already broken!! For years we have needed a real midfield that can play 4-4-2 and now we have it, why bring back a inconsistant player who has only gave us a handful of good games in about 2 years ahead of Thomson who has a long future ahead of him. And id have Mendes ahead of Ferguson becuase he gives us more going forward.

That said if Ferguson is fully fit and plays well then he should be in the team when he gets his chance...just as long as he doesnt start tackling Mendes like he did to Hemdani.

The thing about having Davis in the team is he is perfect in a 4-4-2 whether it be centre or right (not wide right) but he doesnt suit the right side position in a 4-5-1 as there are already 2 other central players.