Burke Returns In Style

CHRIS BURKE marked his return to competitive action with a goal as Rangers Reserves produced a stunning display to beat Aberdeen 1-0 at Glebe Park in Brechin.

Aaron Niguez, RangersThe winger hit the net in the 57th minute with a well-taken finish.

John Fleck fired in a terrific 25-yard shot which the keeper could only parry and Burke was there to take his chance confidently with a left foot strike from the edge of the box.

The match was a typically fiesty encounter with Aberdeen fielding several first-team players including Zander Diamond, Lee Mair, Jeffrey De Visscher, Stuart Duff, Chris Maguire and Michael Paton amongst others.

But Tommy Wilson's new-look team handled the situation brilliantly to record their third clean sheet from their opening three league games of the new campaign.

The coach was understandably delighted after the final whistle.

He said: "Under the circumstances this was an excellent result for us.

"Aberdeen named a very strong team with a lot of first-team players while we had a few younger lads join us because of the like of Dean Furman, Paul Emslie, Alan Lowing and Scott Gallacher going out on loan. John Fleck

"We had to make a lot of changes to our system so from that point of view I am really pleased.

"I thought Graeme Smith came in to the team in goals and was excellent.

"He marshalled our defence throughout the 90 minutes and it was great to see wee Burkey score the winner.

"He has joined us for training on several occasions now and worked ever so hard so he deserved that today.

"Coming up to Brechin is never easy but this result will give all the boys a lot of confidence going forward."

RANGERS (4-2-3-1): G. Smith; Little, Harvey, McMillan, McLachlan; Fleck, Shinnie; Efrem, Aaron (Forbes 70), Burke; Loy

When Aaron signed I said we would barely see him and others shot me down saying Valencia will want to see him playing first team footbal and that he is good enough to be in the team. Yet we havent seen a sniff of him in the first team which disappoints me. I would let the guy lose on the left as Beasley is inconsistant and Adam and McCulloch are plain average.

As for Burke il give him 3 games before he is injured again and being blown off the ball by defenders. 12k a week and he returns with a good reserve performance!! It will need a lot more than that to convince me he should be near the team which is flying with quality like Mendes.

When Aaron signed I said we would barely see him and others shot me down saying Valencia will want to see him playing first team footbal and that he is good enough to be in the team. Yet we havent seen a sniff of him in the first team which disappoints me. I would let the guy lose on the left as Beasley is inconsistant and Adam and McCulloch are plain average.

As for Burke il give him 3 games before he is injured again and being blown off the ball by defenders. 12k a week and he returns with a good reserve performance!! It will need a lot more than that to convince me he should be near the team which is flying with quality like Mendes.

Congratulations you have won the most positive post of the year award. Please keep those positive posts coming on Gersnet 501 medium wave. Come on to F*** Gribz cheer up!!!

Congratulations you have won the most positive post of the year award. Please keep those positive posts coming on Gersnet 501 medium wave. Come on to F*** Gribz cheer up!!!

Where did that come from old man??? Rather than being miserable i was stating a point that id like to see Aaron feature in the first team.

As for Burke this guy should have been punted a few years ago...just when the first team is clicking ever so well (which makes me really cheery BTW)...we get the likes of Burke and Ferguson returning which some seem to think is fantastic. Im sorry but Ferguson should win his place back rather than being an auto select and Burke would only be used in emergencies.

Where did that come from old man??? Rather than being miserable i was stating a point that id like to see Aaron feature in the first team.

As for Burke this guy should have been punted a few years ago...just when the first team is clicking ever so well (which makes me really cheery BTW)...we get the likes of Burke and Ferguson returning which some seem to think is fantastic. Im sorry but Ferguson should win his place back rather than being an auto select and Burke would only be used in emergencies.

I totally agree. Buke looked a very promising talent when he was comming through but he has been blighted with injury and his form has always been eratic at best. Its his lack of consistency that is his downfall.

I would love to see The likes of fleck and Aaron getting a shot at the big time but as we all know walter hasnt got the balls or the mettle to do it.

Burke's a player I rate really highly & would love to have seen do better in his career, but unfortunately for him fitness statistics can't be questioned when it comes to value for money on a player cashing large wage packets. He's maybe been unlucky with injuries due to bad tackles, but not as unlucky as the club who pay for his medical treatment & rehabilitation year in, year out. The sad thing for me is that he had the potential for a great footballing career & to make RFC a LOT of money on a transfer, but I really can't see either of those happening now. I'd move him on with best wishes (so to speak).

Sorry Gribz it was actually meant as humour.Your post did seem a bit negative but i should have added a Smiley as i was laughing while writing my post.

Sorry Gribz it was actually meant as humour.Your post did seem a bit negative but i should have added a Smiley as i was laughing while writing my post.

Thats ok...i maybe thought you had had a bad morning not getting your fulser's in :thup:;) .........actually I thought u would be the first to agree with me regarding Ferguson.

But back on point and as Gisabeer says, id rather see Fleck and Aaron play