Tell me something mate how come when a statement such as the above is made, which to be honest is quite groundbreaking for the trust and should in all honesty have created quite a bit of debate is basically being ignored on this site.

Now when you consider that their are quite a few posters with thousands of posts on here, also ones who don't post at all, and whenever I come on the board, [if it would stop loggin me out after about 10-15mins], their are only a handful on at most , I wonder in what direction the board is going as it seems pretty useless putting a thread up and waiting a couple of days for a few posts in reply.

No having a go, but as you seem one of sensible ones just asking a question cheers. :D :D

Not sure how it is being ignored. The subject (if not the actual statement above) has been discussed numerous times so I think people are possible tired of it somewhat.

With regards to the Trust statement, I think it's one they needed to make and I certainly don't think it's all that ground-breaking in content. I'm also a wee bit concerned with the tone of the recent ones and don't feel they lend much credibility to our point of view with certain parts of their claims.

Indeed, having been offline for the last week I'd be interested to know if the statement was featured in the media at all?

I also note you seem a bit frustrated with the nature of this forum. Gersnet isn't the busiest of places but we never have been nor profess to be. However, what we offer is good, objective debate where all points of views are welcomed. Sure, some subjects may not get the attention they may merit while others may get too much. Such is the nature of the beast and it's not as if there aren't other forums to satisfy if you feel this place doesn't in particular issues.

I myself use all the major forums so I can take a full part in most debates. I'm sure plenty more of the membership do so as well and Gersnet are more than comfortable that we're a small but interesting part of the Rangers online community.

I'm glad to find out your login problem was fixed in my absence. BMCK is certainly the man to contact with such queries! :drink:

This open letter should have been split into two. The "olive branch" to Rangers officials should have been done in a separate release as it dilutes the attempted message regarding the Famine song and the biased media reporting.

Agreed. It's as if it's a points scoring exercise rather than focusing on the main issue.

A more concise statement without the digs ar Murray and Bain would have been a lot more effective, particularly when Bain has, for once, clarified the club's position on it.

While the RST does have a great record on anti-racism actions, I don't think that this release was the correct time to stress them.

A more concise and readable statement would have been more effective IMHO, but good to see that it was released nevertheless.

personally im more than happy with the level and standard of debate on this site. Most users in here are constructive when a post is written and have a general grasp of the English language which makes the debate all the more interesting, which is more than i can say for a few other sites i have visited.

Far too often on other sites your post is lost in mountain of replies, some accurate while others just go off on a tangent. Im glad to say that happens very rarely in here.

Maybe this site isnt used as much by others you have visited JMS but it doesnt mean that the level of debate is of a lesser quality. In fact in my experience its better. So feel free to post as we all like to hear other sopporters views and opinions of Rangers Football Club.

That is why were here after all.

Welcome statement from the RST.

If anyone is interested, below is an extract from the Irish Independant newspaper regarding the famine song :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/co...y-1491629.html

UM, SLIGHT DISCONNECT, ANYONE?

Two scenarios -- two different results. Rangers fans are reported to the police, politicians go mental and everyone is upset after they sing, to the tune of Sloop John B, "The famine's over; why don't you go home." It's quite funny and, in the context of the poisonous atmosphere between the clubs, verging on the affectionate. Spurs fans, on the other hand, have a chant about Sol Campbell which makes out that he is mental, has HIV and should be lynched.

So, one chant about an event that happened over 100 years ago becomes a political hot potato, while another one which manages to evoke slavery, is racist and homophobic and threatening, is treated as little more than an unpleasant example of fan passions.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Cammy F

Good find Cammy. Certainly puts things into a bit of perspective. You just need to look at countries like Croatia and Spain who have particularly bad problems with racism to realise that the famine song isn't as bad as its made out. That said, I would rather we just got stuck into them for being paranoid and shite!

Seen a bbc report on youtube and couldn't believe the lack of impartiality.

For a start they interviewed a Celtic supporter but not a Rangers supporter and unbelievably decided to put their own interpretation of what the song is about rather than ask those who sing it for an explanation.

When a song contains only two lines, I think you really have to know what the singers mean rather than just making it up themselves.

They said it was to malign the sufferers of the potato famine which is just not true and is totally taking it out of context.

They portrayed it as racist whereas, if they would use their so called journalistic skills to find out the true meaning of it, they'd realise the only race it ridicules is the race of Plastic Paddies - and I don't think there's a court in the land that would convict against that.

Seen a bbc report on youtube and couldn't believe the lack of impartiality.

For a start they interviewed a Celtic supporter but not a Rangers supporter and unbelievably decided to put their own interpretation of what the song is about rather than ask those who sing it for an explanation.

When a song contains only two lines, I think you really have to know what the singers mean rather than just making it up themselves.

They said it was to malign the sufferers of the potato famine which is just not true and is totally taking it out of context.

They portrayed it as racist whereas, if they would use their so called journalistic skills to find out the true meaning of it, they'd realise the only race it ridicules is the race of Plastic Paddies - and I don't think there's a court in the land that would convict against that.

Despite a clear sense of why the BBC in Scotland is determined to maintain this agenda, I'm still amazed that there is sufficient political vacuum between here and London to allow it to continue.

The RST was entirely right to issue that statement. It just should have been issued sooner and, like several others, I definitely think it could have been better constructed.