Internet 'bigots'.

Guest Briton

Hi all. Thought I'd better start a thread as that nagging notice is not going to go away otherwise. ;)

There's been a lot of talk about this subject lately and a lot of people are a p****d off at being labelled a faceless bigot because they use the Internet. Personally I haven't felt insulted, as I felt Smith and Murray were talking of a minority, but there's no doubt they could have handled things better.

It got me thinking. If they are so worried about it, is it not possible for the club to become pro-active and go after some of these people if the are damaging the reputation of the club? From my knowledge of the technicalities of how the Internet works (and I did invent it :)) most people are not as anonymous as they might think and it might make some think twice about what they are doing in the name of Rangers FC.

Not sure if it would be productive or not.

Glad the notices feature annoyed a lurker enough for them to get involved... :D;)

You make a valid point mate actually. If SDM (and Smith or anyone else) is serious about doing something then, yes there is provision for them to pursue these 'faceless' people.

Perhaps not individual posters per se but certainly the owners/hosts of the site.

For example, if someone on here were to continually abuse people of a certain creed/colour (or shall we say make unfounded claims about a certain football club owner), without removal/challenge; then if the club do feel it's a problem, then I guess they could look into it.

I'd be astonished if they were successful or had the money to employ people to do so but in the very worst cases such a stance may have merit.

Until that happens, the rest of us are viewed with suspicion and the words remain empty and ill thought out rhetoric.

Freedom of speech....

The fact that the people who are apparently "offended" are the worst offenders who claim the oppressed tag in every walk of life.

I see where you are coming from but why should a Rangers fan not be allowed to sing a song that is NOT racist or bigotted but is a "poke" at the fans who sing a song about the very Famine we are being reviled over.

Of course it is fine to sing about the death of 66 people at Ibrox during an OF game, that is just the Craic don't you know.

Edited by Wija
Mong spelling

Freedom of speech....

The fact that the people who are apparently "offended" are the worst offenders who claim the oppressed tag in every walk of life.

I see where you are coming from but why should a Rangers fan not be allowed to sing a song that is NOT racist or bigotted but is a "poke" at the fans who sing a song about the very Famine we are being reviled over.

Of course it is fine to sing about the death of 66 people at Ibrox during an OF game, that is just the Craic don't you know.

But I don't think the original version of famine song was the source of SDM/Smith's annoyance.

More the subsequent YouTube versions and other stuff which does appear on occasion from time to time elsewhere. Unfortunately, because they haven't specified we have no way of knowing what they mean, so what results is more division which the media etc take advantage of.

Glad the notices feature annoyed a lurker enough for them to get involved... :D;)

You make a valid point mate actually. If SDM (and Smith or anyone else) is serious about doing something then, yes there is provision for them to pursue these 'faceless' people.

Perhaps not individual posters per se but certainly the owners/hosts of the site.

For example, if someone on here were to continually abuse people of a certain creed/colour (or shall we say make unfounded claims about a certain football club owner), without removal/challenge; then if the club do feel it's a problem, then I guess they could look into it.

I'd be astonished if they were successful or had the money to employ people to do so but in the very worst cases such a stance may have merit.

Until that happens, the rest of us are viewed with suspicion and the words remain empty and ill thought out rhetoric.

I use Usenet newsgroups to discuss Rangers issues and I know some there have been reported to their ISP's by other posters (both Tims and Bears have done the reporting according to what I have read) and have apparently lost their accounts. Not something I would do but it goes to show that people are not as invunerable as they think when posting on the internet.

i work in it unfortunately, and i have no idea why people htink they are anonymous at all. the police, for instance, could find out who any internet person is, who posted anywhere, at any time. its mad.

glad we pestered you into posting briton :D

I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately. I've posted quite a bit of stuff that could get me into trouble under certain circumstances (politics/religious issues I mean).

We tend to think that living in a liberal secular democracy we can exercise our right to free speech with impunity, but things may not always be that way. It could conceivably come back and bite me on the arse. The fact that most of my 'output' has been on the Internet has given me a false sense of anonimity I'd say.

You'd never believe I've often accused others of being paranoid. ;)

As a lot of you gersneters know, I have posted a lot of videos from the Rangers web site,however all the videos that I have posted through youtube have been removed from youtube,over 60 videos,due to copy rights. I have never tried to upload any since so I don't know if I can continue. I will have to wait until I am at home as trying to download anything takes all day on my work computer. Slightly off topic.

While fully justified and constructive in itself, I can't help reflecting that this debate lends unwarranted credence to the recent girning nonsense from Smith and Murray.

That we are concerned about Rangers taking legal action against its own fans paints such a picture that we should be breaking down the doors of Ibrox in utter disgust. If Murray's contempt for the ordinary fan has reached such pass as this then he might as well just declare open warfare upon us.

If Smith spent more of his energies trying to develop some of the undubted young talent we have at the club instead of undermining it in public statements that they aren't good enough then he just might be doing the job he's paid so handsomely for. And if Murray made some effort to unite the club rather than actively divide it, we just might believe we had a chairman and owner who gave a damn.

As it is, they have conspired to bring this shaky house of cards that much closer to collapse.

Edited by maineflyer