Walter's ill-informed outburst riles the decent, web-savvy fan

Bloody catholics,we are Protestants and fiercely proud of it.

carldelle

Do you actually know what you are protesting about. Martin Luther did. 90%+? of so called protestants have no idea today it is just a flag to rally round.

Do you actually know what you are protesting about. Martin Luther did. 90%+? of so called protestants have no idea today it is just a flag to rally round.

You don't need to be protesting against anything to be a Protestant.

But perhaps you need to actually attend church and apply the teachings of the religion and even at a basic level, live your life by the tenets of new testament. Don't see many people doing that these days...

Plastic proddies?

You don't need to be protesting against anything to be a Protestant.

Surely the people who choose to call themselves staunch protestants should know a bit about the history of the religion they have chosen to follow? Otherwise it is just a flag to rally round in my eyes.

Plastic proddies?

Mate, that about sums it up, but it's a very complex situation now & not one that we can take lightly. Do I want to influenced by the Vatican? Do you? Being Protestant doesn't have anything at all to do with going to church. It has to do with not wanting to be dictated to by the Catholic religion/Vatican. FWIW though... there's very few churches in our PC Scotland that would openly 'protest' against the catholic church or any of it's beliefs.

Mark

But perhaps you need to actually attend church and apply the teachings of the religion and even at a basic level, live your life by the tenets of new testament.

Agreed.

Surely the people who choose to call themselves staunch protestants should know a bit about the history of the religion they have chosen to follow? Otherwise it is just a flag to rally round in my eyes.

Not necessarily. Calscot's point is far more important IMO.

Being Protestant doesn't have anything at all to do with going to church. It has to do with not wanting to be dictated to by the Catholic religion/Vatican.

I'm sorry, but that's bollocks.

Edit: A vast majority of people who go to Church each Sunday don't think twice about the RC religion.

Edited by Bluedell

I'm sorry, but that's bollocks.

Edit: A vast majority of people who go to Church each Sunday don't think twice about the RC religion.

Ok, I didn't put that very well since I was pissed when I wrote it, but no matter since I know exactly what a Protestant is & don't see any need to argue about the definition of it if we all know exactly what it means. I don't believe that people need to turn up at Sunday service at all to be justified or able to call themselves a Protestant though.

Part of the definition of being a Protestant means that you can worship anywhere and don't need a religious leader to do so - so you could say attending church is not compulsory. They believe a man can connect directly to God through prayers, reading the bible and good deeds.

However there is a difference to someone who follows the bible, worships God and Christ and tries to achieve enlightenment on Earth leading to salvation in heaven - to someone who hates Catholicism.

The vast majority of people who call themselves Protestant in Scotland, do so erroneously and would definitely not be recognised as such by the likes of Calvin, Luther or Knox.

I think "Proddie" is a more apt word for them, but which means something completely different.