Unashamedly stolen from another forum, but with the points being made on "Chick Young's" Famine thread I found this particularly interesting and would definitely support it myself if it appeared all/most fans would and it was a viable option (unfortunately neither is probably the case):

radical idea in response to the attacks on our fans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right before you read on, may I point out that this isn't my idea but a suggestion made by an Aberdeen-supporting mate of mine who as a neutral, happens to think that there is currently a media agenda against Rangers supporters and that we are being slandered. He also thinks that if Rangers as a club, don't take a stronger stance with the media and SFA soon, then we are going to end up being heavily fined and docked points.

His radical suggestion is that Rangers should refuse tickets for all SPL away games, and instead beamback the matches from Ibrox. In return, Rangers should also ban all away fans from Ibrox. The point being to call the bluff of the media and opposition supporters to see how offended they really are by us, i.e. (1) if we no longer have opposition fans mixing with Rangers fans at the games the media would have much less to write about or base their radio/TV discussions on - result being that the media will ultimately lose out financially; (2) no Rangers fans at away games - obvious result being that the other SPL clubs will lose out financially

Does anyone think that something as radical as this may eventually need to happen? What are the general thoughts on this idea?

(Personally, I think that such an idea would still be unworkable because there will always be Rangers fans who want to be given the opportunity to support the team no matter where they are playing and what the circumstances might be.)

The bottom line is the song is banned and its against the law.

So the big question is : what the hell are the police and stewards doing at the matches when the songs are being sung?

Answer is absolutely nothing.

If these lot started doing their jobs and actually arresting people and turfing them out of the ground then you might see the song fade away.

I'll repeat part of Calscot's post from theb other thread.

The biggest problem that the authorities have to realise, and the reason why attempts to get the fans to stop singing the song are in vain, is that Rangers fans KNOW they are not being sectarian, racist or bigoted; they KNOW that they are doing nothing wrong; they feel patronised, persecuted and insulted - and that only makes them extremely defiant.

No, it's not.

it cant be. no law is even theoretically being broken. if it has, its a stupid law. its our ethical duty to ignore stupid laws.

its a crap song - but it annoys idiots, so it works for me. :D

Yeah, it would be nice if the issue was on a song that we cared about, but it's not, but we've still got to defend the right of our fellow supporters to sing it.

that is the thing - and, annoying as it is, you know that a lot of people singing it actually are bigotted pains in the arse. but the song isnt. so without falling away into the insanity of judging intentions, i'll quite happily defend their right to sing it.

but, honestly, i've grown disillusioned with democracy - as soon as you give the rabble a voice they use it, and they're generally such idiots. papers are the collective representation of the rabble. its so laughable they think they're on the grand, noble, moral crusade of their time - these same people who would be too scared to walk down maryhill road at night incase a ned stabbed them to death think that the hypersensibilities of the pseudo-irish is what needs defending. yaar.

No, it's not.

yes it is. It is regarded by the police the and the club as racist chanting and as racisim is regarded as unlawful then it is against the law. We all know the consequences of singing it so the mugs who do have to stop.

The song is NOT banned and it is NOT against the law.

Those premises are merely assumed by people who are so conditioned by viewpoints from certain quarters that don't know any better. It would take a brave and irrational judge to convict anyone of racism for singing those words.

It would take a great stretch to prove that it's racist or sectarian in any way.

I'm sure if a test case achieved a conviction the police would have no choice but to arrest people who sing "Go home, you Huns" and many other contentious ditties.

So the big question is : what the hell are the police and stewards doing at the matches when the songs are being sung?

Answer is absolutely nothing.

If these lot started doing their jobs and actually arresting people and turfing them out of the ground then you might see the song fade away.

If even our so-called thinking fans are prepared to indulge in such blatant self-deception as you then there really is no hope for the Rangers or our long heritage. If you are capable of defending nonsense with such apparent commitment and inventing laws and morality as you go then what do we do with the truth? Is there even any room for it in your new reality?

I'm so depressed at the ease with which you seem to swallow propaganda and regurgitate it as fact. Our enemies pose no threat compared to our friends.

Edited by maineflyer