Same Old Deficiencies

Are our old deficiencies fated to come back and haunt us, or even worse, stop us reclaiming our SPL title this season? After thumping 5 past ICT at Ibrox, we allow Dundee United to roll up to Ibrox, dictate the pace of the game and were lucky to come out of the game with a point. It wasn�t just the disappointing score we appeared to fall back into our old bad habits. Walter still insists playing a very narrow game with no natural width. When things are going against us, especially against a big, physical team, we revert to the route one philosophy which doesn�t suit our game and more importantly, our players. Against teams like DUFC, the high ball is food and drink, and this tactic nullifies the positives that Kris Boyd brings to the game.

I thought that after the away victories at Torbett Towers and Easter Road, Walter had found a formula to defeat physical teams. Play the ball on the deck, play around the big lumps of centre-halves and carve them open. However, against DUFC, we continually lumped high balls up the park, Boyd was continually out-jumped and possession reverted back to DUFC (who used it well if truth be told).

We are calling out for a couple of wide players to be introduced into the team. Beasley and Aaron being the first names that spring to mind. No doubt Walter will reintroduce the likes of Adam, McCulloch & the departing Burke before we see Beasley and Aaron.

Then we rolled along to Rugby Park on Sunday and after a strange first half where we never really played that well, but were extremely unlucky not to go into the break 3 or 4 goals to the good (after hitting both posts, the bar, missing a penalty and having a stonewaller tuned down) we turned it around in the 2nd half scoring 4 decent goals. Again, we were denied another stonewaller when Combe clattered Broadfoot, only for the Mason In The Black to wrongly book Kirk for diving. So once again, we are consistently inconsistent and going to games now you never know what Rangers team are going to turn up.

The referee had a terrible game missing 2 clear-cut penalties which would have resulted in Combe being red-carded (a yellow for each offence, although the trip on Boyd could have merited a straight red). Added to the weekly refereeing decisions going Celtcs way (Motherwell having a goal chopped off and Clarkston being controversially sent off) it once again appears that years of intimidation is paying dividends for the MOPES. Hopefully these blatant refereeing errors won�t decided the destination of this years title. In saying that, surely the MOPES have used up all of their lucky breaks (aye right, it appears that the Masons In The Black will continue to bail them out if and when necessary).

The MOPES Are Offended Again

If it isnââ?¬â?¢t a jovial song regarding their faux-irishness that even tickled the funny bone of the Irish, it appears that the serial offendees have found something else to be offended about. This time, itââ?¬â?¢s the terrible combination of silence, remembrance and the poppy. The MOPES were foaming at the mouth given that the SPL instructed all clubs to wear an emblazoned poppy on their shirts to commemorate the 90th anniversary of remembrance. Some were so offended that they leafleted fellow fans asking them to walk-out of Parkhead on Saturday as some sort of ââ?¬Ë?anti-Britishââ?¬â?¢ stance. Now, this is something that has always confused me. What do the MOPES do when demonstrating against ââ?¬Ë?Britainââ?¬â?¢ and ââ?¬Ë?Britishnessââ?¬â?¢? Do they look in the mirror, point and boo at themselves?

Anyway, this demonstration added to the fact that the club decided on a minutes applause instead of silence (and we all know the real reason why this decision was taken, they knew that sections of their fanbase wouldn�t observe a silence remembering those who gave their lives), this was a real slap in the face of the War Dead, the brace soldiers still serving this country in foreign fields and the families of those who have lost loved ones during conflict. The reason for them being offended, well, it is some perverse sense of their faux-irishness.

It is also worth noting here that the incidences of Celtc fans singing sectarian, offensive and terrorist supporting songs has been on the increase from the start of the season. Whilst the agenda driven media continue to focus on the famine song, the MOPES are free to indulge in their dirge supporting an outlawed terrorist organisation. They are free to sing ââ?¬Ë?soon there will be no protestants at allââ?¬â?¢. They are free to use the term HUN with impunity. No one in the media will challenge them. No politician will challenge them and certainly, no one from the SPL will dare utter a word of condemnation.

In all honesty, I expected nothing more from the MOPES but in shunning the War Dead, maybe, just maybe the rest of the UK will get a glimpse into the warped psyche of the average MOPE.

Thomson�s Injury

Kevin Thomson�s injury looked a bad one at the time, and today, Rangers have stated that he could be out for 8 months. This is a terrible blow to Thomson who was just starting to settle into the team and prove his worth and transfer fee. His enforced and prolonged absence has left a void in our midfield that must be filled and filled successfully.

It is probably come too early for the returning Barry Ferguson as he doesn�t have the necessary match fitness. So, this could lead to a reshuffle in the midfield with Steve Davis being brought into the centre alongside Pedro Mendes. We also have the option of introducing Edu as he has impressed in a number of reserve games this season and looked a decent player on his debut earlier in the season.

If Walter decides on Davis and Mendes in the centre, then he must think about playing at least one genuine wide player in the midfield. However, I can see Thomson�s injury hastening the return of McCulloch and or Adam to the starting eleven. In saying that, the worst thing Walter could do is rush Ferguson back into the starting eleven. Ferguson is without a doubt an asset to the team, but only when fully (match) fit.

Kenny Miller

Well the initial furore that surrounded the rumours, then conformation that Kenny Miller had resigned for Rangers has died down. Whilst not every Rangers fan will welcome Kenny Miller back into the fold (for varying reason, most justified if Iââ?¬â?¢m honest), Iââ?¬â?¢ve always been of the opinion that if a player is wearing the Rangers jersey he deserves nothing less than my support. I didnââ?¬â?¢t want Kenny Miller back simply because I didnââ?¬â?¢t rate him as a player. I didnââ?¬â?¢t see what he could bring to Rangers and I definitely didnââ?¬â?¢t see him improving the team. Well, he has proven me and a few others like me wrong. Not only has he scored 6 goals, he has contributed to the team, his created numerous goals and appears to have stricken up a decent partnership with Kris Boyd. I still believe that the best partnership we had was Miller and Cousin, but Cousin was more of an enigma (lazy B*******!) than Kris Boyd ââ?¬â?? brilliant one moment, garbage the next.

Another point especially prevalent to Kenny Miller�s detractors is that Kenny Miller didn�t sign Kenny Miller for Rangers. The management team decided that he could bring something to our team, and on the early showings, they were correct.

Cammy F ââ?¬â?? Support The Dublin Loyal - WATP

I wouldn't worry about losing the league again Cammy. It's obvious Rangers fans are going to be extra on edge after what happened at the end of last season, but for me your summary is a good one, but it's not completely down to Rangers results that we will win the league.

Celtic are on a roll of unbelievable good fortune which started with the postponement of the old firm game last new year. If it had've been played then, i honestly feel the league flag would be flying over Ibrox right now.

Then, they staged a remarkable comeback based on Rangers losing ground in the league due to their european campaign. Any other season and again, we would be title holders. But we now know the team had their eye on lifting the UEFA cup more than the league championship.

Now, they(celtic) are still grinding out results, but it's November and they've been doing it for 2 months now.

There's no way in this world that they can continue to do that, especially with 11 first team players out.

They are now getting a taste of what we had to endure last season and as a result i fully expect Celtic to start dropping points rapidly before xmas.

Imo Rangers have learnt tons since this time last season, and i fully expect them to capitalise on their errors from then.

If they don't then changes will be ready.

Don't normally disagree with much in your rants.

That said Beasley should be the furthest name from the team sheet out of any first team player. Absolute impostor this season. It's not that he's played badly, but the fact that is tried to avoid any responsibility when playing this season that has really pissed me off.

Great post Cammy, and i had the same thoughts as you over Kenny Miller. I just did not think he was good enough. I also stand corrected on that one

I still don't think he's good enough. Put another way, I think we should have brought in better quality than KM. Credit where credit's due though, he's trying harder to succeed in playing some decent football than he's ever tried in his whole career.

Nice rant Cammy. :thup:

Great read mate.

Particularly agree with this part:

So once again, we are consistently inconsistent and going to games now you never know what Rangers team are going to turn up.

Also agree with S_A that Beasley is struggling to get a game because when he has played he's been awful. Really had a chance to make a claim for the left-sided midfield role but did nothing when played.

:(

I wouldn't worry about losing the league again Cammy. It's obvious Rangers fans are going to be extra on edge after what happened at the end of last season, but for me your summary is a good one, but it's not completely down to Rangers results that we will win the league.

Celtic are on a roll of unbelievable good fortune which started with the postponement of the old firm game last new year. If it had've been played then, i honestly feel the league flag would be flying over Ibrox right now.

Then, they staged a remarkable comeback based on Rangers losing ground in the league due to their european campaign. Any other season and again, we would be title holders. But we now know the team had their eye on lifting the UEFA cup more than the league championship.

Now, they(celtic) are still grinding out results, but it's November and they've been doing it for 2 months now.

There's no way in this world that they can continue to do that, especially with 11 first team players out.

They are now getting a taste of what we had to endure last season and as a result i fully expect Celtic to start dropping points rapidly before xmas.

Imo Rangers have learnt tons since this time last season, and i fully expect them to capitalise on their errors from then.

If they don't then changes will be ready.

What changes will those be then? Charlie Adam? Chris Burke? Lee McCulloch, The Invisible Velicka?