Kirks Yellow Card Should be Rescinded

WALTER SMITH has called on the football authorities to use their powers to rescind yellow cards issued wrongly to players charged with simulation.

Everyone abhors Walter Smithcheating in football - and rightly so. Players who are subsequently shown to have dived to gain an advantage should be punished.

The most famous recent example of this was the two-match ban handed out by UEFA to Saulius Mikoliunas when he dived to win a penalty against Scotland last year.

Smith feels this logic should be a two-way street and those players cautioned for simulation but later proved to be innocent should have their booking taken away.

This, of course, stems from the incident on Sunday when Rangers suffered on two counts.

Kirk Broadfoot made a superb run into the Kilmarnock box to collect a Steve Davis pass and was brought down by Alan Combe.

It should have been a penalty and, potentially, a yellow card for Combe.

Instead, Eddie Smith awarded a goal kick and booking Broadfoot for diving.

Smith said: "I think the referees have a difficult job. I actually felt that even allowing for the fact that he hadn't been clipped - and he clearly he was - there was no way he was trying to win a penalty.Kirk Broadfoot at Rugby Park

"When you see the incident again, the goalkeeper does catch Kirk. If people are going to be pulled up by the SFA for simulation then we should be able to appeal against the yellow card in this instance.

"You should be able to rescind a yellow card if it shown to be the case that Kirk was clearly not simulating.

"The other aspect is that it could have been an important stage of the game.

"If people are going to make a fuss about diving then leeway should be given to those who are wrongly punished for it.

"The officials are all wired up these days so the linesman has a certain responsibility in all of this as well. He wasn't far from the incident and he probably had a clearer view than the referee.

"So we have to look at that situation. In my view if you are going to be punished after the fact for diving then you should have a yellow card rescinded if it's proved that you were not diving."

Fair comment from the manager but I agree with Gav...

In saying that I remember a good few years back that Numan was sent off for a second booking against Sturm Graz and we got that rescinded despite the rules saying we couldn't.

You want the SFA to admit that the rule is a complete and utter farce?

skin another reefer mate.

Totally disagree that the rule is a farce, if we want to cut out diving then the refs have to give yellow cards. Preferably i would like to see an immediate replay so the ref can be sure before he gives it though.

Totally disagree that the rule is a farce, if we want to cut out diving then the refs have to give yellow cards. Preferably i would like to see an immediate replay so the ref can be sure before he gives it though.

Good point Pete, but it's just another reason that video replays should be introduced to make our game fairer.

I think the rules only allow appeals for sending offs and the subsequent ban. Yellow cards aren't deemed important enough to bother about.

I'm totally convinced we need TV replays like in rugby and possibly Hawkeye technology like in tennis - which could have been better placed to decide whether the ball was over the line at the Celtic game.

If these sports can go modern why can't the game that has the biggest financial repercussions?

If people are worried about stopping the game too often, we could easily have the 3 challenge rule like in tennis.

I completey and utterly agree with the last poster.

It's so obvious to the fans that video replays are needed yet the big beeks continue to worry about how it will change our game.

They think that big taking away some of the controversy that football will change for the worse.

But Calscot is correct, and the 3 challenge rule should be incorporated within the video replay to make it run smoother. Very good idea Calscot.

I think video evidence would improve the spectacle of games actually.

The tennis and rugby system shows perfectly that such judgements can help the game's integrity while assisting officials in what is a difficult task.

Worth an article that subject... ;)