I wasnt talking about transfer fee Cammy. I was talking about wages. But that said even those transfer fees would not be even close to that amount in this day and age. Just how much do you think that the Captain of England and a world class CB at that would sell for these days ? Not even close to the amount above, even inflation-adjusted.

Thing is that the transfer fee for those type of players you mention would be FAR HIGHER in this day and age - fees which we simply couldn't compete with. Likewise with wages - for players of that calibre we simply can't compete in this day and age.

I know what you are saying Cammy but the landscape of football has far changed since those days.

No, Souness signed Trevor Steven twice making a tidy profit from Marseille.

Agree Gav, Gary Stevens was excellent. Mnay people forget about Roberts though because of all the other signings. Not sure who got Fleck but I though he was outsanding for us.

Fleck came through the youth ranks at Rangers. Decent player as well.

Cammy F

I wasnt talking about transfer fee Cammy. I was talking about wages. But that said even those transfer fees would not be even close to that amount in this day and age. Just how much do you think that the Captain of England and a world class CB at that would sell for these days ? Not even close to the amount above, even inflation-adjusted.

Thing is that the transfer fee for those type of players you mention would be FAR HIGHER in this day and age - fees which we simply couldn't compete with. Likewise with wages - for players of that calibre we simply can't compete in this day and age.

I know what you are saying Cammy but the landscape of football has far changed since those days.

I agree, but the thing is, who would have thought that the captain of England and a world class centre half would even consider signing for Rangers and that we'd get him for �£1M pounds? I bet many in football laughed when Graeme Souness claimed that he'd deliver Terry Butcher to Rangers (including those in England who coveted the England captain).

If you watch Souness on SKY, even now, people listen and are captivated by him. He has a presence, people actually listen to what he says (and he talks a lot of sense, and still knows football inside out). Butcher says this in his book - as soon as he spoke to Souness, he knew that he'd end up at Ibrox. Not many people say 'no' to Souness.

There are very few people in football who have what Souness has and thats why I am very suprised that he isn't currently involved with a club. Having Souness as a figurehead could make a club - he has an aura, and his love for Rangers still burns deep - I see no downside of asking Souness to contribute to Rangers in some capacity. For me it would be as a figurehead with the likes of Wilkins or The Laudrups as coaches.

Cammy F

I agree, but the thing is, who would have thought that the captain of England and a world class centre half would even consider signing for Rangers and that we'd get him for �£1M pounds? I bet many in football laughed when Graeme Souness claimed that he'd deliver Terry Butcher to Rangers (including those in England who coveted the England captain).

If you watch Souness on SKY, even now, people listen and are captivated by him. He has a presence, people actually listen to what he says (and he talks a lot of sense, and still knows football inside out). Butcher says this in his book - as soon as he spoke to Souness, he knew that he'd end up at Ibrox. Not many people say 'no' to Souness.

There are very few people in football who have what Souness has and thats why I am very suprised that he isn't currently involved with a club. Having Souness as a figurehead could make a club - he has an aura, and his love for Rangers still burns deep - I see no downside of asking Souness to contribute to Rangers in some capacity. For me it would be as a figurehead with the likes of Wilkins or The Laudrups as coaches.

Cammy F

I don't disagree with any of what you say Cammy. But even though few say "no" to Souness - the calibre of player we would attract still wouldn't be the upper echelons due to finance. That was the point I was making - procuring England's captain all those years ago was easier than it is today for a club like Rangers - no doubt thout it really was a coup de gras at the time. But times most certainly have changed.

I would like to see Souness involved if, for nothing else, to re-instill a passion that playing for Rangers is one of, if not the, greatest honour a pl ayer will have during their entire career - and we don't have many in our current squad who are like that, our captain at times included !

I don't disagree with any of what you say Cammy. But even though few say "no" to Souness - the calibre of player we would attract still wouldn't be the upper echelons due to finance. That was the point I was making - procuring England's captain all those years ago was easier than it is today for a club like Rangers - no doubt thout it really was a coup de gras at the time. But times most certainly have changed.

I would like to see Souness involved if, for nothing else, to re-instill a passion that playing for Rangers is one of, if not the, greatest honour a pl ayer will have during their entire career - and we don't have many in our current squad who are like that, our captain at times included !

That won't change no matter who our manager is / was. PLG proved that, the onely real target he managed to sign was Clement, and we all thought that a man of his calibre and standing in French football would attract better players.

In typing the above, I have actually had a rethink - maybe it was Bain / Murray who are / were to blame for PLG not getting his desired targets, I suppose we'll never know.

I just feel that with the likes of Souness as a figurehead, we'd have a better chance of attracting a better quality of player. It's not going to be the 'upper echelons' but it may be better quality that players from Hibs, Kilmarnock and St Mirren.

Cammy F

Some really good exchanges. However, what kind of players he could attract or what money he'd have to do it may be less important right now that what a manager such as Souness would do with the players he did have and what he could do to unite the club again. Can you remember how it actually felt when you heard Graeme Souness had been made manager or Rangers. I do and I'd like to feel that way again.

Whoever it might be, I think one important caveat is necessary. It won't happen while Murray still owns the club. The man we need in the manager's chair will not work under Murray, that much I'll guarantee.

Some really good exchanges. However, what kind of players he could attract or what money he'd have to do it may be less important right now that what a manager such as Souness would do with the players he did have and what he could do to unite the club again. Can you remember how it actually felt when you heard Graeme Souness had been made manager or Rangers. I do and I'd like to feel that way again.

Whoever it might be, I think one important caveat is necessary. It won't happen while Murray still owns the club. The man we need in the manager's chair will not work under Murray, that much I'll guarantee.

Agreed, but Murray and Souness' freindship MAY be enough to rekindle SDm's passion for making Rangers a success again - all hypithetical at the moment tho and can't see SDM replacing Smith with anyone except Ally McCoist at the moment.

Cammy F