HIGHLAND hero Kris Boyd does not believe Barry Ferguson will be tempted on a return to the Premiership after Newcastle declared a public interest in the Rangers skipper.

Boyd, who scored twice in yesterday's 3-0 win at Inverness, feels Ferguson would prefer to remain at Rangers,

Barry FergusonBoyd said: "We know in this market everyone has his price and whatever happens happens - that's the way football is

"But I'm sure Barry wants to stay here and play his football with Rangers.

"He has left the club once before and didn't particularly enjoy his time down south. Now he's enjoying it and he's back to being the player he once was.

"We don't want to lose him and I'm sure the manager won't want to lose him either because he's such a huge influence on the team."

Walter Smith was disappointed with Joe Kinnear's public comments about Ferguson and Newcastle have also been linked with a move for Madjid Bougherra.

However, Boyd insists that speculation did not affect Rangers in a poor first half in the Highlands.

He said: "Inverness made it difficult for us in the first half and all credit to them for doing so. They've been struggling recently but still came out and had a go. When we got in at half time we had a chat and basically knew we had to do better.

"The message at the break was that a few of us would be coming off if we didn't improve in the first 15 minutes after the break. And it was a great goal from Pedro that set Kris Boyd and Kirk Broadfoot celebrateus up to go on and win."

Boyd's double takes him to 20 goals for the season which has thrilled him but he knows that continuing to cut into Celtic's SPL lead is the key.

He said: "I'm obviously delighted with the number of goals I've scored so far but the bottom line is we are still five points behind Celtic which isn't good.

"We need to go again when the league resumes after the Scottish Cup and get ourselves back within touching distance of Celtic.

"I was pleased with my goals but at the other end Allan McGregor was just as important. He made world-class saves and the one just prior to our second goal proved how important he is to our team."

Its a tough one. At times when he was injured we were thinking we missed him. He comes back and hasnt dominated 1 game yet. His best days are clearly behind him and i cant remember the last time he ran the show in a game.

Like Gav, either way is fine but he shouldnt be immune to being subbed or dropped in games. At the moment Davis would be my first pick in the centre of the park with Mendes or Ferguson.

Guest FollowThe People

Where does this piece come from?

The message at the break was that a few of us would be coming off if we didn't improve in the first 15 minutes after the break. And it was a great goal from Pedro that set Kris Boyd and Kirk Broadfoot celebrateus up to go on and win."

I doubt Ferguson will be going anywhere.

As for Boyd, he may have scored two late goals but he was abysmal yesterday IMO.

Guest FollowThe People
Which player are you then?? :D

It's so poorly written it's unintelligible.

It's supposed to be Boyd being quoted then mentions his name and that of Broadfoot in the quote.

Guest FollowThe People
Its a tough one. At times when he was injured we were thinking we missed him. He comes back and hasnt dominated 1 game yet. His best days are clearly behind him and i cant remember the last time he ran the show in a game.

Like Gav, either way is fine but he shouldnt be immune to being subbed or dropped in games. At the moment Davis would be my first pick in the centre of the park with Mendes or Ferguson.

Therein lies the problem with Barry Ferguson.

Unless he has 'Ran the show', meaning he has to control the entire game all by himself, which in fairness he has often done in the past, he is considered to have played poorly.

He isn't allowed to just have played well like other players, he has to 'Run the show' or he's crap.

No middle ground for you Barry my boy.

Therein lies the problem with Barry Ferguson.

Unless he has 'Ran the show', meaning he has to control the entire game all by himself, which in fairness he has often done in the past, he is considered to have played poorly.

He isn't allowed to just have played well like other players, he has to 'Run the show' or he's crap.

No middle ground for you Barry my boy.

Thats actually a good counter argument. However BF hasnt even got involved in games where anyone has stood up and said "BF played a few good passes today or he did this....etc..". He has been more invisible than visible.

He used to run the show pretty much 1 in 4 games and the others he would play well, now he has 1 good game in 8 without running the show.

Guest FollowThe People
Thats actually a good counter argument. However BF hasnt even got involved in games where anyone has stood up and said "BF played a few good passes today or he did this....etc..". He has been more invisible than visible.

He used to run the show pretty much 1 in 4 games and the others he would play well, now he has 1 good game in 8 without running the show.

Well we can only judge from since coming back from injury, unless you want to go back further than that?

I thought he Mendes and Davis all played well against the filth and Ferguson himself was the only one out of the three to play an incisive defence splitting pass to a Rangers striker to send him in on goal, in the first instance Boyd wasted the chance, Miller was fouled by Caldwell and Novo failed to control the pass.

Apart from those passes his distribution and defensive work was good and when they were ahead and playing on the counter, it was Ferguson who tracked McDonald all the way down the left touchline when they broke.

I think his game has improved in the past couple of games now that he's had a few with Mendes, although I'd concede Mendes has been the better of the two.

If you're going back to last season, he played as an auxulliary striker being asked to run off the ball in the hope a lone striker or our midfield could find him, they rarely could which necessitated him having to come deeper as he was being starved of the ball.

Not a role preferred by someone who all his career has played with the ball at his feet, but he still chipped in with some stunning goals, two volleys at Inverness,a good finish against the filth and another against Stuttgart, an overhead kick against Hearts at Hampden, another volley against Gretna.

I don't think he's been as bad as painted by some but he seems to have become a hated figure by some and will never be judged as any other player is.

He could be our best player in any given game but you'd still hear people say he was the worst player on the park.

When you point out his statistics during said game the response you usually get is ,'When is the last time he ran a game?'

Since his return from injury I can't recall a game where he has played better than average. we've had the excuse about him needing games to get his match sharpness and fitness back to what it should be but how many games has he played and how many more games does he need?