Burley building team without Boyd

Guest Jum Spence

Sounds fair enough. Boyd made his decision and both need to get on with it. Burley will miss Boyd much more than the other way round however.

In fact, my bet is that burley won't be manager of Scotland for as long as most people think. He's surprised me, I thought he knew what he was doing but so far he's shown himself to be from the Walter Smith school of management.

Can't disagree with any of that...

Does anyone else now feel a bit alienated from the Scotland Squad? I felt that under Vogts and I'm feeling it again under Burley. It doesn't seem quite like my team anymore... And I'm not getting excited about any of the games.

Does anyone else now feel a bit alienated from the Scotland Squad? I felt that under Vogts and I'm feeling it again under Burley. It doesn't seem quite like my team anymore... And I'm not getting excited about any of the games.

It's a fair question and an uncomfortable one to answer for me. I come from the generation who made the pilgimage to Wembley every second year and saw the national team as hugely important - something that sat comfortably beside supporting Rangers.

All that has certainly changed for me but I'm less sure exactly when it happened. I think it was the Andy Roxburgh/ Craig Brown era and had much to do with the Graeme Souness revolution at Rangers. Suddenly Rangers were the biggest show in town by far and teh SFSA didn't particularly like it, especially when Souness showed himself intent on taking on anyone who straying into his crosshairs. Roxburgh's treatment of Richard Gough, continued by Craig Brown, was typical of the growing rift between Ibrox and Hampden.

I cringed at Rangers fans openly wearing England gear (most of them were never English) but it was just another expression of the gulf between the SFA and Rangers.

I do feel completely alienated from the SFA and hence the national team and that really pisses me off. I used to scoff at the idea but I'm becoming persuaded that there is indeed an anti-Rangers element emerging in the football authorities in Scotland and somewhere down the line there is going to be a real confrontation - probably when Rangers eventually rise again from the current mess and confidence returns to Ibrox boardroom.

I'm still a Scotland supporter obviously but I have the same feeling of alienation you mention.

It's probably an unfair generalisation but I don't feel welcome as a Rangers fan to support Scotland nowadays. We're now the black sheep of the family so it's only natural that some of us feel like outcasts in our own country.

Yeah I can see the pattern of heading back to the same as Vogts days. And I just cant see it getting better under Burley. He has shot himself in the foot a few times by handing out bizarre caps along with a few strange decisions. Taking Butcher and Pressley on as his No.2 and 3 havent helped 1 bit.

I was probably 60/40 in Burleys favour when he took the job but im certainly around 20/80 against now.

His team makes the Craig Brown days look marvellous. Looking back I was never a Brown fan but the squads he had were superb and he didnt have too bad a record for us!

Maybe start another thread in footie chat about Burley.

I'm still a Scotland supporter obviously but I have the same feeling of alienation you mention.

It's probably an unfair generalisation but I don't feel welcome as a Rangers fan to support Scotland nowadays. We're now the black sheep of the family so it's only natural that some of us feel like outcasts in our own country.

It's quite ironic as Rangers fans used to make up the vast majority of the support - which was mostly due to being the biggest support in the first place coupled with the second biggest support choosing Ireland instead.

A strange tradition of ignoring good Rangers players while picking lesser players from other teams, as well as being continually shafted by the SFA has dramatically waned many Rangers fans interest in the Scotland team.

I still support Scotland, but somehow feel Burley has ripped a lot of the "Scottishness" out of it that we had under WS and Eck.

We've gone from jumped up, hard working, hard tackling, well organised, never say die Jocks who punch well above our weight, to just another below average team from a very small country with no real appeal whatsoever.

The famous, traditional Scottish pride was back for a while but now it's disappeared again and without skill and ability to replace it, it's about as interesting as watching a St Mirren v Hamilton game - made in Scotland but not exactly capturing one's imagination.

It's a fair question and an uncomfortable one to answer for me. I come from the generation who made the pilgimage to Wembley every second year and saw the national team as hugely important - something that sat comfortably beside supporting Rangers.

All that has certainly changed for me but I'm less sure exactly when it happened. I think it was the Andy Roxburgh/ Craig Brown era and had much to do with the Graeme Souness revolution at Rangers. Suddenly Rangers were the biggest show in town by far and teh SFSA didn't particularly like it, especially when Souness showed himself intent on taking on anyone who straying into his crosshairs. Roxburgh's treatment of Richard Gough, continued by Craig Brown, was typical of the growing rift between Ibrox and Hampden.

I have similar feelings. I went to Wembley a couple of times and was in Cardiff when Stein died and went to a lot of games at Hampden.

I lost a lot of enthusiasm due to Roxburgh, and even more with Craig Brown, due to the way that Rangers players were treated. How John Brown never got a cap was beyond me.

It's a real shame as it would be nice to care more about our national team, but I have had no wish to go to a Scotland game for many years, and often don't bother watching their games on the TV. I still want them to win, but not with any degree of passion.

The boy who went to bed in tears because we lost against to Peru is long gone.

The boy who went to bed in tears because we lost against to Peru is long gone.

Lol! me and my mates all went out and played a game of world cup after that game!

I was nine at the time. I also remember how the game had suddenly lost its appeal after that defeat.

But the passion has been well and truly drained from the game since then. Both at club level and international level.