I agree

Some fair points made by Cammy above too, though, but in my experience most people down south just mock and belittle Scottish football, and i have no time for those people whatsoever

Honestly Jim, I think it depends on OUR attitude - if you go onto a forum like that Tim did, post what he wrote, in the tone he wrote it, off course you are going to get ripped - you really wouldn't exspect anything else would you?

The West Brom forum is more hostile to Wolves, Birmingham and Villa fans than it is to Scottish posters, but if you went on and saide 'West Brom are pants, Rangers are the greatest club in the world, WBA play in a shit league' what response would you expect?

Put it this way, if a Arsenal fan came on here and spoke about his team whilst also praising Rangers and showing knowledge about the club he is going to be welcomed. If he came on and said that Arsenal were the greatest thing since sliced-bread and that we were all jumped up Scots, he'd get ripped.

As I have said, I have written for a Chelsea fanzine, I am a member of a WBA forum and I have been invited to England games thro friends and work colleagues and have yet to be met by anyone who disrespects Scotland and Scottish football - in fact, most want tickets to see Rangers.

Cammy F

Colshy, I only tend to scoff at anyone English belittling or disregarding Scotland or Scottish football etc. And I hear or read it almost every day.

You just have to look at that Portsmouth site to see the anti-Scottish sentiment and disparagement of Scottish football. Those posts are typical of what I have to put up with all the time.

yes i`m not saying it`s not evident down south too. because it is!

i`m merely pointing out that cammy is correct in the point he makes about people on this forum having a go at anything that stands for england.

i admit i wind yous up about the whole affair, and yous wind me up back, but sometimes there are a few faces on here that take it just too far.

but, i think this argument has been gone over already in a previous post and it didn`t have much of a good ending!

I'm sorry wija, but your post makes absolutely no sense to me.

How am I Timmy in disguise? Please explain. Is it because I think both Rangers and Celtic are bigger than Portsmouth with bigger stadiums and more supporters? Is because I quite enjoy supporting a big team in a small league rather than fighting relegation every year in a big league?

Unreasonably calling a fellow Rangers fan a Timmy in my eyes is pretty pathetic and says more about the person doing the name calling. What are you - the witchfinder general? I'd rather you actual put some effort into discussing the points you disagree with especially as you haven't comprehended even the foggiest about what I'm on about.

And if you don't agree with me that the Old Firm are bigger than the likes of Portsmouth, then maybe you're the Englishman in disguise...

I honestly dont know where this forum would be without Calscot. I couldnt agree more.

I had a debate about a year ago in a thread about a foreigner visiting to ibrox wearing "ANY" football top to a game and a senior poster came out state away with "Gribz is a Tim poster" - ive never had time for that person since (its not who u think it is BTW) simply because IMO it proved that that person is narrow minded - are anyone who doesnt agree with other rangers fans automatically Tims now? proving that some Glasgow mentallity states there are only 2 choices in Scotland - rangers or celtic!

Personally i never clicked on the link to hear the Tim rant but from Calscots view i agree straight away that Celtic are a bigger club than Portsmouth by a country mile.

I certainly dont like Celtic but did anyone else not feel a sense of Scottish pride when they went down to Liverpool and Blackburn and played 2 premiership giants off the park.? If anything it said - " Rangers and Celtic could stand there own in England - ending the debate and be-littleing we get down there"

I certainly dont like Celtic but did anyone else not feel a sense of Scottish pride when they went down to Liverpool and Blackburn and played 2 premiership giants off the park.? If anything it said - " Rangers and Celtic could stand there own in England - ending the debate and be-littleing we get down there"

No, because as a Rangers fan, I want them humped every game they play. Should we feel pride in England winning the world cup as it shows British football up in a good light and stops other belittling us? Plus, when have Craprtic ever classed themselves as 'Scottish'?

The tone in which the Tim posted his bile on the Pompy fans website meant that he was going to get ripped - if a fan of another club posted a post like that on here, he would rightly get ripped.

Craptic and Rangers are 'bigger' clubs than Portsmouth, but since we do not play in the same league as them it is hard to judge. Would you say that Rangers and Craptic are bigger clubs than Madrid, Milan, Barca etc? We have won mopre trophies than them, so are we 'bigger' than them? It's impossible to make a like for like comperison.

As I have said, my own personal experience with English football fans is that they are knowledgalble about Scottish football and in the main, don't mind Scotland doing well and most, if not all, express an interest in coming to see Rangers. If that is belittling us, long may it continue.

When I had a season ticket in the main stand, there were 4 guys from Manchester who sat in the rown in front of me - they travelled up for every home game, including mid-week. They were born and bred in Manchester and found following Man U too expensive. They went to The Towers to watch Craptic one game and received abuse for being English - the next week, they came up to Ibrox and couldn't believe the reception they got and how cheap it was to watch Rangers (in comparison to Old Trafford) and promptly bought 4 season tickets. 3 of them were Catholic but all 4 loved watching Rangers and as far as I know, they are still there. There are many other English fans who travel week-in week-out to see Rangers, hardly belittling us are they?

Cammy F

No, because as a Rangers fan, I want them humped every game they play. Should we feel pride in England winning the world cup as it shows British football up in a good light and stops other belittling us? Plus, when have Craprtic ever classed themselves as 'Scottish'?

Thing is Cammy, you are probably surrounded by Celtic fans who slag off Rangers and so of course you want them to lose.

I'm surrounded by Englishmen slagging off Scottish football and so I like Celtic to lose in Scotland but I like it when they win against English teams. I also like them doing reasonable in Europe as it raises our coefficient which helps Rangers to qualify for the CL and also raises the profile of Scottish football which makes it easier for us to attract good players (however I stop liking it once they start getting to quarter finals - that's just too much).

The tone in which the Tim posted his bile on the Pompy fans website meant that he was going to get ripped - if a fan of another club posted a post like that on here, he would rightly get ripped.

Totally agree but there are ways of ripping. But the bottom line is that the guy had a point and I think it's obvious that he was replying to an a attack on Celtic and the SPL by Pompey fans.

Craptic and Rangers are 'bigger' clubs than Portsmouth, but since we do not play in the same league as them it is hard to judge. Would you say that Rangers and Craptic are bigger clubs than Madrid, Milan, Barca etc? We have won mopre trophies than them, so are we 'bigger' than them? It's impossible to make a like for like comperison.

I definitely think Madrid, Milan and Barca are bigger than us at this moment and wouldn't argue against it. We may have been bigger than them in the past though.

As I have said, my own personal experience with English football fans is that they are knowledgalble about Scottish football and in the main, don't mind Scotland doing well and most, if not all, express an interest in coming to see Rangers. If that is belittling us, long may it continue.

I find the great majority of Englishmen very ignorant on Scottish football. It's not that surprising though, when you read their newspapers. The likes of the Mail for example, rarely even have a single column inch on Scottish football (although they sometimes have a full page on the, not even British, Irish national team). They once even neglected to print the score from the Scottish cup final.

Football focus also rarely has more than a few seconds on Scottish football - although it used to have a few minutes when the Saint was around.

Man U emphasised the point when they sang "Who the fucking hell are you?", when our most exciting young talent, Chris Burke came on. Shame on them too as they are a club who have much success from blooding young players.

When I had a season ticket in the main stand, there were 4 guys from Manchester who sat in the rown in front of me - they travelled up for every home game, including mid-week. They were born and bred in Manchester and found following Man U too expensive. They went to The Towers to watch Craptic one game and received abuse for being English - the next week, they came up to Ibrox and couldn't believe the reception they got and how cheap it was to watch Rangers (in comparison to Old Trafford) and promptly bought 4 season tickets. 3 of them were Catholic but all 4 loved watching Rangers and as far as I know, they are still there. There are many other English fans who travel week-in week-out to see Rangers, hardly belittling us are they?

You'll always find exceptions, as any nation is not all the same. My last experience of talking to Englishman who had been to an SPL game (without the old firm) was that in his opionion it was like a couple of pub teams and even he could get a game...

PS I'd like to add that I've met some Englishmen with good knowledge of Scottish football, although they usually have some connection first.

But to independently gain much knowledge of the SPL, an Englishman has to really go out of his way to get the information (made easier by the internet) - and why would he with 20 teams in the premier to keep up with pluss another 72 in the lower divisions?

You'll always find exceptions, as any nation is not all the same. My last experience of talking to Englishman who had been to an SPL game (without the old firm) was that in his opionion it was like a couple of pub teams and even he could get a game...

He wasn't at the Hibs v Aberdeen game on Saturday was he calscot ??

I swear that even I could have got a game at the back forr Aberdeen on Saturday - the standard was very poor - I am sure I will be treated to better from the Gers on Saturday

In all honesty, that is hard to argue with. I have been to see West Brom on numerous occassions, especially when they were in the championship - most of their games are like watching pub teams - its not a great standard, but as a 'fan' you kind of ignore that and try and support your team.

I can only go on what I have encountered - visiting Leeds, Birmingham, London, Wycombe, Sheffield etc regularly, I have had no problems with people talking about Scottish football. One thing that I will say, when I was last in Sheffield, I was invited to the local derby and have found one derby that is more 'hate-filled' than the OF - the town centre was a no-go area from the whole weekend - Mon The Wednesday...

Cammy F

The standard can look dreadful but the level is still pretty high with both sides making each other look bad, and is it any worse than games like West Brom v Portsmouth? I've seen quite a few dire EPL matches as well as crap Rangers games and European games.