Milan give Smith taste for Europe

Guest Jum Spence

Rangers manager Walter Smith says the friendly against AC Milan at Ibrox has whetted his appetite for an extended run in Europe next season.

More...

Please Walter, stop making a complete arse of yourself and stop patronising the fans as if we were entirely clueless.

Are you the same manager who said after being knocked out by Kaunas that you had "seen it coming" but had done nothing about it. Pity your appetite hadn't been whetted then, eh? Clown.

I heard Smith saying that we wanted Europe "of whatever sort" next season.

Sorry Walter, I want us to win the league this season and you must be more positive than that.

Second place will get us european football :devil:

Second place will get us european football :devil:

Unfortunately, I think that is exactly the mentality within the ranks at Ibrox and it all comes from the lack of ambition displayed by the leadership, both in the dressing room and the boardroom.:(

Unfortunately, I think that is exactly the mentality within the ranks at Ibrox and it all comes from the lack of ambition displayed by the leadership, both in the dressing room and the boardroom.:(
n

I challenge that. Exactly when has that been the case? Certainly not in the last season and a half. Yeah a club which was two games away from the quadruple is really settling to be mediocre.

Treating any second place as an abject failure is no sort of leadership at all. It's the kind of leadership that makes people give up when the going gets a bit tough. If you don't have much chance of winning then why bother?

This is the kind of negativity in the stands that is killing our club and making Ibrox a fraught and depressing place.

Traditionally, a decent draw with AC Milan would be a reason for celebration, even in a friendly. But now that tradition has gone and instead we have a generation of fans who just can never be pleased and will look for the tarnished side of the coin on every occasion and only need the slightest of promptings to have a good old moan.

I think I'd rather forget about Rangers than spending every waking moment having a go at the club I "support". I usually leave that to the sad fans of other clubs.

To be fair though a statement which says "I want European football of any sort" is a very defeatist attitude.

You could say that it is hedging. You could say that it is simply stating we want European football.

Personally I would have thought it a far more positive statement to be saying something along the lines of "I fully expect Milan to be in the CL next season and I have high ambitions that we will be there beside them and I have players with the ability to accomplish that".

Look at what Smith actually said with my version and I think it is pretty fair to say that the players would get a much bigger confidence boost by the latter statement. Regardless of whether we actually DO have the players to achieve it (I think we do) they should be hearing these things from their manager.

It seems that we have gone from being leaders in Scottish football with an air of confidence to being prone to what amounts to nothing more than defeatist, almost politically correct statements.

Please Walter, stop making a complete arse of yourself and stop patronising the fans as if we were entirely clueless.

Are you the same manager who said after being knocked out by Kaunas that you had "seen it coming" but had done nothing about it. Pity your appetite hadn't been whetted then, eh? Clown.

This makes my skin crawl. How stupid does he and the other players think us fans are? Does he think we don't want european football?

Another absolute joke of a comment and it's becoming very tiresome, very fast!

Walter's PR does seem to have become pretty pathetic since the summer.

OK Mr Uberfan, you need to curb that negative talk - it's that kind of negativity in the stands that is killing our club and making Ibrox a fraught and depressing place.:whistle: