Exclusive: SPL in talks over plans to send Celtic to Fir Park for third time - but Ra

Feb 27 2009 By Keith Jackson

SPL bosses have held secret talks about the nightmare scenario of sending Celtic to Fir Park for a THIRD time this season as the title race goes down to the wire.

Record Sport can reveal the proposal would also see championship rivals Rangers playing Mark McGhee's men at Ibrox three times - and avoid returning to Motherwell's dreaded pitch in the run-in.

The potential fixture farce will almost certainly explode if Well can fend off challenges from Hibs and Hamilton to stay in the top six at the split.

Motherwell edged into sixth place last weekend with a 1-1 draw at home to Celtic on a playing surface which is so badly damaged Record Sport columnist Mark Hateley called for the authorities to shut Fir Park down immediately on health and safety grounds.

If the the current top six of Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Dundee United, Aberdeen and Motherwell all make the final cut the SPL will have to make drastic changes to the card.

Top-flight bosses Lex Gold and Iain Blair have discussed contingency plans and have drawn up two alternatives - neither of which will go down well with Celtic or their fans.

If the Hoops are not forced to go to Fir Park for a third time they will almost certainly face a third trip to face Hearts, with the Tynecastle men playing Rangers at Ibrox three times.

Ensure That would be necessary to ensure as many top-flight teams as possible play 19 home and 19 away fixtures over the season.

In previous years Rangers have had to go to Aberdeen and Dundee United three times to make up for this anomaly - but Celtic have neverbeenadverselyaffected.

However, that will change this time should Motherwell make the top six.

As is stands, Rangers will have played 16 home games at the split with Celtic on 17.

Celtic would then be due to play two away games at Ibrox and Pittodrie, with three further home clashes against Dundee United, Hearts and Motherwell.

Rangers would face Celtic and Aberdeen at home with away days at Tannadice, Tynecastle and Fir Park.

But that would mean Celtic had 20 home games compared to the Ibrox side's 18, which is why the SPL would intervene by switching two of the games to send Gordon Strachan's men to Fir Park or Tynecastle.

Dundee United could also benefit as they would be in line to be the only team in the top six to play 20 home games and 18 away.

Last night SPL chief Iain Blair confirmed talks have taken place to thrash out a rearranged fixture list.

He told Record Sport: "Yes, we are aware of the potential problems. Our only objective is to come up with the fairest set of fixtures possible."

How the split fixtures would work:

RANGERS

Home: Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts or Motherwell.

Away: Hearts or Motherwell, Dundee Utd.

CELTIC

Home: Dundee Utd, Hearts or Motherwell.

Away: Hearts or Motherwell, Rangers, Aberdeen.

DUNDEE UTD

Home: Aberdeen, Motherwell, Rangers.

Away: Celtic, Hearts.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/2009/02/27/exclusive-spl-in-talks-over-plans-to-send-celtic-to-fir-park-for-third-time-but-rangers-would-avoid-pitch-nightmare-86908-21156598/

Here we go. It's not as if both teams would be playing on the same surface, is it. Obviously the post-split arrangements are primarily about how they affect ra sellick.

This just illustrates the complete farce of the 'split' in any case. teams should play each other equally home and away during a season. End of. The current arrangement is cringeworthy and embarrasses our game.

"Come on Lex, this just isn't fair. Where's the integrity in this?"

"I see where you're coming from Peter. Let me see what I can do."

"Hello, is that the Record. Lex Gold here. I need a word with the sports editor."

"Keith, can you come up to my office, I've got a wee job for you."

Edited by maineflyer

Here we go.

The EXACT first words I just muttered to myself.

I can see the split coming round and, oh, what do you know, Celtic with a home fixture against Motherwell. As I've said in other threads, after last season Liewell will have some dirty tricks up his sleeve if the bheasts can't regain top spot.

SPL making a rod for their own back?

How can they have Celtic play 20 at home and us 20 away.

If they have to go back to Fir Park, so what. As the article states, we've been fucked over twice in the past. It's their turn. And no doubt they'd win the game anyway.

This is where it starts. The Dhims will be in a window licking frenzy with this - "Pure dead furking cheatz an that "

It is the way the split happens and the Phress are scaremongering and are going to ensure Rangers get the 3 away due to pressure from Liewell and the mhedia coverage.

Fcuking disgrace!

I guess i had the foresight to see this when I made the "post-split" thread.

The SPL are in the shit over this because they HAVE to send the Tims somewhere post split to even out the home & away games. I just hope Motherwell retain their top 6 spot now to make it a horrid scenario for the SPL.

Incompetents to the last anyway !

The SPL continue to dig holes for themselves reference ra Sellik.

Lawwell will have leaked this, debate in both print and broadcast media, build up momentum that will ensure a conclusion of vicTIMhood, and the usual suspects will make the usual reinforcing statements ie Bitter Martin's infamous, "this championship has been tainted wkith the stench of cheating". It's well rehearsed and everyone knows their part and lines.

Next season, Sellik should be away from home on Remembrance Sunday weekend. However, the whole world and its' dug knows ra GFITW cannot be trusted to pay respect. Result, ra Sellik are guaranteed a home game where they can applaud the deaths of hundreds of thousands of men and women who laid down their lives for all our freedoms.

I guess i had the foresight to see this when I made the "post-split" thread.

The SPL are in the shit over this because they HAVE to send the Tims somewhere post split to even out the home & away games. I just hope Motherwell retain their top 6 spot now to make it a horrid scenario for the SPL.

Incompetents to the last anyway !

I didn't see them struggling with their conscience much when they sent us to Pittodrie again in previous seasons.

And where were the claims of a "tainted" title last year. Only when we win anything do they like to complain about such issues. :rolleyes:

Hopefully there will be plenty of complaints come May. :devil:

the usual suspects will make the usual reinforcing statements ie Bitter Martin's infamous, "this championship has been tainted wkith the stench of cheating".

When was this? Because if it was uttered at any point during 2007/08 then colossal doesn't do justice to the magnitude of the irony.