Rangers must axe Barry Ferguson before they blow chance of winning title

Mar 17 2009 By James Traynor

WALTER SMITH has a decision to make and he needs to make it quickly.

It might already be too late but if Rangers are to have any chance of winning the SPL he has to act ruthlessly and he has to act now.

Frankly, the manager's choice should be an easy one because the evidence is damning. It isn't the up-and-down form of Steven Whittaker or David Weir's lack of mobility Rangers' fans should be fretting about. And forget the tiresome debate about Kris Boyd.

These players are not the real problem and with all the intensity of aprison spotlight during a jail break, Rangers need to turn the focus of attention on one player, and one player only.

Barry Ferguson. The biggest under-achiever in the Rangers squad has to be benched.

The captain has brought nothing to the side since his return from a spell south of the Border and he is now more of a hindrance than a benefit to the team.

As a skipper Rangers would be better with Captain Jack Sparrow. At least he's crafty enough not to lose the pieces of silver no matter the odds against him.

This will sound like blasphemy to some because Ferguson is the Ibrox club's captain and everybody knows he'd be a season ticket-holder if he hadn't made it as a pro.

He is a Rangers man through and through but he's not a leader of Rangers men and this club is heading towards the world's end.

He looks much better than he actually is with his puffed-out chest and his bristling indignation when things don't go Rangers' or his way.

He shouts a lot and often points like a cop on rush-hour traffic duty.

Sadly, he is Rangers' all-action zero and it is time for people inside Ibrox not just to admit the truth but to act on it.

Rangers have gone backwards since Ferguson returned and although he cannot be held responsible - other than taking �£25,000 a week in wages - for the club's financial meltdown you would have thought he, of all the players on the books, would have been setting the correct example in difficult times.

After all, he was rescued from the south to give Rangers direction and impetus. He was seen as the one man who could drag the side towards league titles but he's been part of only one championship triumph.

He rejoined in the January of season 2004-05 and AlexMcLeish's Rangers went on to win the title.

That was the last one as Celtic threaten now to make it four in a row and you have to ask what Ferguson has actually achieved in that time.

Apart from make life tougher than it might have been for Paul Le Guen.

This isn't to suggest Ferguson was responsible for the Frenchman's Scottish nightmare but he could have helped more by making sure all players were behind the manager.

Instead, splits developed within the camp and Le Guen realised his gamble in taking over from McLeish had failed.

When the going is rough and faith is dwindling a club needs an onfield leader to work on the pysche of the squad pulling the factions together and making sure they're united in the cause of winning. But with Ferguson this club lost under Le Guen and they continue to lose while the same man continues to wear the armband in the centre of midfield.

Without his captain Le Guen had no chance and now, perversely, Smith has little chance with him.

Unfortunate coincidence?

His apologists - and he isn't short of them - will say yes but Ferguson and Rangers' failure in the championship are linked because he has not been able to drive his team through tough games and he hasn't dominated opponents never mind matches.

But since we mentioned coincidence, how about this: Why is it Rangers were a better, more skilful and free-flowing team when he was injured?

And why is it that players like Kirk Broadfoot, Steven Whittaker, and even Pedro Mendes looked better when the captain wasn't around?

Could it be he has a stifling effect on others or that one or two retreat into their shells when Ferguson is on the pitch moaning at everyone?

He is supposed to be the midfield general and it's because of that myth Smith has been playing Steve Davis on the right of midfield when he is at his best in the centre. He wants to play there and now is the time for Smith to shuffle him inside to his real position.

There's nothing to lose and everything to gain because Smith has kept faith with Ferguson and allowed him ample opportunity to prove he is the man. It's clear now he isn't and because Rangers are running out of time and matches they must do something radical.

There is no time left for Ferguson to prove himself worthy of a start in the centre of midfield and the team would lose nothing if Smith left him out. Those players who appear to shrink in stature when he's about might again become emboldened in his absence and it isn't as though Smith is without alternatives to play on the right.

Nacho Novo is fit again and if nothing else Rangers would benefit from his running, passion, and fierce desire to be a winner. Also, you just know the little Spaniard still believes it's a privilege to wear the jersey and his is exactly the attitude Rangers want right now.

There's also Steven Naismith, who could play wide right, and that would free up Novo to go straight through the middle with Kenny Miller, although he looks as though he has lost confidence, Kyle Lafferty or Boyd.

And because drastic times call for drastic measures why not let John Fleck play his preferred position just off the strikers, although that would leave a gap to be filled on the left.

Accommodating the right players for the correct times is always difficult but by sticking with what is regarded more or less as the norm Rangers are losing the title to Celtic. Bold changes could be Smith's only salvation.

It's easy to sit on the outside as a neutral observer but it is obvious Rangers need a shake-up and binning Ferguson just might be the start of a revival.

If you weigh up his contribution since coming back to Ibrox nothing much would be lost. But just look at what might be gained. It might even be his own reinvention.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/rangers/2009/03/17/rangers-must-axe-barry-ferguson-before-they-blow-chance-of-winning-title-86908-21204544/

Ferguson is worthy of criticism but Mendes and Davis have been equally bad (or even worse of late).

The shouting at other players thing is a red herring. I'd be more annoyed if this didn't happen and if players can't accept criticism on the park, then they shouldn't be playing for Rangers.

The whole team needs a shake up. Let's start by dropping Mendes or Ferguson (preferably the latter) and playing Edu or Davis in central midfield. Then let's play proper wide players - Beasley, Aaron or Novo.

Finally let's have two players up front that can link the play and score goals. Lafferty and Naismith sound good to me.

That bandit Taylor has been reading my posts.;)

i don't think i need to give my view on this one as it is what i have been saying for years. Oh yeh we should remember Brave Barry is fighting on with an injury. Is he not?:rolleyes:

Frankie how can Mendes play good football with Fergie,Davis and McCulloch on the same line or behind him and only Kenny Miller in a forward position to pass to.

I have always said give Rangers a good player and we will ruin him. Smith is better than most at doing it.

I don't deny we are stifling Mendes' creativity with a lack of complementing players.

However, the lad himself is not doing enough generally. He attempts the 'world cup' pass too often, doesn't get forward enough (when was the last time he was in the opposition box) and his work-rate off the ball is poor (in attack and defence).

I've heard the same excuses given for Ferguson's poor displays - i.e. we don't have the attacking players for him to pass to. Partly true but that doesn't explain the generic lack of quality.

Let's play Edu or Davis beside Mendes and utilise wide men and attackers in their preferred roles.

I don't deny we are stifling Mendes' creativity with a lack of complementing players.

However, the lad himself is not doing enough generally. He attempts the 'world cup' pass too often, doesn't get forward enough (when was the last time he was in the opposition box) and his work-rate off the ball is poor (in attack and defence).

I've heard the same excuses given for Ferguson's poor displays - i.e. we don't have the attacking players for him to pass to. Partly true but that doesn't explain the generic lack of quality.

Let's play Edu or Davis beside Mendes and utilise wide men and attackers in their preferred roles.

I totally agree with you on your last sentence that we have to play attackers in their proper positions. The whole problem lies on how the team is set up. Three holding players in midfield is stifling for everyone. A 4-5-1 has to break quickly into 4-3-3 otherwise it is a total waste of time. Unless you are hoping for a break rather than making it happen.

Ferguson is worthy of criticism but Mendes and Davis have been equally bad (or even worse of late).

The shouting at other players thing is a red herring. I'd be more annoyed if this didn't happen and if players can't accept criticism on the park, then they shouldn't be playing for Rangers.

The whole team needs a shake up. Let's start by dropping Mendes or Ferguson (preferably the latter) and playing Edu or Davis in central midfield. Then let's play proper wide players - Beasley, Aaron or Novo.

Finally let's have two players up front that can link the play and score goals. Lafferty and Naismith sound good to me.

Shouting and criticism should be given and taken but how do you feel when a player continually shouts at you for his mistakes? It can really annoy you and your anger can remove some focus in your game.

I know it's happened to me and I not normally prone to violence but I remember I was pretty close to punching one of my team mates for continually doing that.

Players must be played in their correct positions, or you will not get 100%, I don't mean effort. That goes for defenders as well as midfielders and attackers. As for Fergie, there is no chance of WS dropping him, unfortunately.

I know it's happened to me and I not normally prone to violence but I remember I was pretty close to punching one of my team mates for continually doing that.

Shame on you :devil:

Shouting and criticism should be given and taken but how do you feel when a player continually shouts at you for his mistakes? It can really annoy you and your anger can remove some focus in your game.

Of course criticism should be tempered when necessary but I don't even see Ferguson moaning all that often.

In fact, I don't think he does it enough.

The only player I see moan during games is Allan McGregor.

We need more leaders prepared to take responsibility for their own game and others. Not complaints about the minimal few that do.