According to the Mail, he's been told they'll listen to any reasonable offers for him, but its the usual story while being a non-story with no direct quotes.

I know he's had his critics, but he can't be faulted for his work-rate, enthusiasm, fitness etc and has been one of those who does put in extra work on the training pitch. I also think he has improved a lot since he's been here, but I can't see him becoming a permanent fixture in the first team, so would he want to hang around if he's only going to be used as a backup player?

I'm sure its not all about finances and we could work a deal out if we really wanted him to stay. Maybe he'll move elsewhere and find his level while getting a regular game at centre half. Whatever happens, I'd wish him all the best as quite a few of our players could learn a bit form his attitude if nothing else.

Kirk Broadfoot is poised to follow axed Rangers skipper Barry Ferguson out of the Ibrox door in a summer exodus.

Confirmation came last night that Ferguson may have played his final game for the club after suffering a torn calf muscle in Tuesday�s reserve game. And Sportsmail can reveal that shattered Broadfoot has also been told he can leave following the collapse of protracted talks on a new contract.

Currently one of the lowest-paid first-team players at the club on �£3,000-a-week, the Scotland defender was hopeful of earning a rise by extending his deal beyond the 12 months which currently remain.

In the aftermath of his late red card in the Co-operative Insurance Cup Final defeat to Celtic, however, the Ibrox club called an abrupt halt to discussions. Desperate to cut their squad wage bill in the face of crippling levels of debt, Rangers have since informed Broadfoot�s representatives that they will listen to any reasonable offer for the defender�s services this summer.

A source close to the player said: ââ?¬Ë?Kirk wants to stay at Rangers because he is a fan of the club. All he wants is a new contract, but, suddenly, he has been told he can go for financial reasons.

The news will provoke a shudder amongst other players in the Rangers squad close to the end of their current deals, including Kris Boyd, Ferguson, Nacho Novo, Lee McCulloch, David Weir, Brahim Hemdani and Christian Dailly.

Out injured since the Hampden final, the former St Mirren captain had exceeded expectations, establishing himself as a first pick for manager Walter Smith and scoring on his Scotland debut in Iceland.

Smith has already been informed, however, that he needs to trim the squad substantially before making any moves into the transfer market this close season.

Clubs south of the border have now been alerted to Broadfootââ?¬â?¢s availability and, like Ferguson, he may already have played his final game for the club ââ?¬â? subject to injury. The former Scotland captain lasted just two minutes of the 0-0 draw with Hearts reserves in his first appearance since the fallout from ââ?¬Ë?Boozegateââ?¬â?¢.

And medical experts yesterday uncovered a small tear in Ferguson�s calf which entails an absence of four to six weeks. His first-team status already in doubt even before the injury, the 31-year-old now faces a lengthy lay-off to follow the two-week suspension imposed on him and goalkeeper Allan McGregor.

Ferguson now joins a lengthy list of injured players in the Ibrox treatment room, with Kevin Thomson, Broadfoot, Lee McCulloch, Kyle Lafferty and Sasa Papac all missing for the Homecoming Scottish Cup semi-final against St Mirren at Hampden on Saturday.

Kirk Broadfoot is going nowhere, says Rangers assistant manager Ally McCoist

ALLY McCOIST has hit out at claims Kirk Broadfoot could leave Rangers - and says he hopes the defender signs another contract at Ibrox.

Reports today claimed the versatile stopper will be allowed to move on after a round of contract talks broke down, as Rangers look to bring their wage bill down during the summer.

But McCoist insists he'd like to see the 24-year-old stay at Ibrox.

Broadfoot joined the Light Blues from Paisley in July 2007, making 66 appearances so far - a haul which includes last season's UEFA Cup final.

The player is currently fighting to regain his fitness ahead of the title run-in.

But even if he misses the remainder of the campaign, assistant manager McCoist expects to see Broadfoot playing in a Rangers jersey again.

McCoist said: "I've got to be honest - I've not read a newspaper today and one of the other lads said to me about the story.

"As far as I'm concerned, Kirk's advisors will hopefully sit down with our people and something can get ironed out.

"Somebody said to me that he has been asked to leave but that's news to me. I don't think that's the case at all, absolutely not.

"If it is, I certainly don't know about it and in my opinion, I'm very hopeful we can get the situation sorted."

Apr 23 2009

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/rangers/2009/04/23/kirk-broadfoot-is-going-nowhere-says-rangers-assistant-manager-ally-mccoist-86908-21300524/

Hopefully paper BS then. Don't see it makes sense to move on a versatile defender who is only a relatively low wage.

I would agree..... but IF we can rely on the paper talk (which has been ongoing for months) then the wage is partly the reason for this. Was it not that he was looking for a wage increase due to 1) consistent performances and 2) he is now an internationalist ?

The "relatively low wage" is his current wage - it is his wage expectations going forward that may be why this story has come to light. I am not saying the big man is being greedy though, just that it could be a cause for the story.

He has only recently bought a new house near where my Mum stays - and they don't come cheap......

I would agree..... but IF we can rely on the paper talk (which has been ongoing for months) then the wage is partly the reason for this. Was it not that he was looking for a wage increase due to 1) consistent performances and 2) he is now an internationalist ?

The "relatively low wage" is his current wage - it is his wage expectations going forward that may be why this story has come to light. I am not saying the big man is being greedy though, just that it could be a cause for the story.

True. I don't know what his demands were, but it is rumoured he's on �£3k/week and requesting �£10k. Although as I say unsure on the truth of this. Supposedly though, that would put him in line with the likes of Whittaker whom he had been performing better than.

He has only recently bought a new house near where my Mum stays - and they don't come cheap......

How many people in your mum's area are on �£3k a week (That's just his wage to, sure there's bonuses and other extras) or more? :whistle:

He was on a modest wage by footballers standards. Not in the real world.