Barry and Edu sounds fine in theory; presumably that means Edu is the sitting MF and Barry would be free to attack and support like he did in the season he got 15 goals. I'm just not sure BF can do that any more..:(

I don't think Barry can do what he used to either but we need someone to hold the ball and both him and Edu are the best we have at that IMO but I don't know if either are good enough to go forward all the time. Edu likes to get forward but more at set pieces, a threat no one else gives us from midfield. Mendes or Davis don't really get forward enough and at present I would pick Davis before Mendes for the central midfield role seeing as Barry's troubles and injury have ended his season and maybe Rangers career.

We really need a good left or right midfielder or both to help the midfield out.........Davis is crap on the right and Smith although he has done OK is not the answer on the left.

Wont be suprised to see Ferguson start but i reckon Edu would miss out and he has been playing well just now , I agree that Mendes and Davis were very very poor against Hearts.

Especially Davis ? he couldnt cross a road and couldnt score in a brothel as he had a couple of chances his shooting is below powder puff not good enough

and i wouldnt play him on Saturday.

Mendes doesnt do enough in games for me he pops up with the odd bit of magic but not enough to fill a Jersey week in week out

i would go with Edu and Ferguson in the middle if i had the choice

How we miss Kevin Thomson right now.

But with Walters magic wand he can make any player play in any position so who knows what to expect end of the day as long as we get the 3 points thats all that matters on Saturday.

:rfc:

The problem Ferguson causes on the pitch is imbalance and thats a huge important factor in a team. You dont know if he will be holding or attacking now, so the guy next to him struggles also.

I think people expect too much of Mendes, they want him to go past 3 players and score. His game isnt so much like that but he is a clever player and he has missed having Thomson next to him.

I cant stress how much we should play Davis in the centre, he would be a different player altogether.

As i mentioned on another thread, half of our outfield team was guys out of position!! - Thats terrible and has to have an effect on the team and individual performances.

Its time WS got the basics right and went with a proper balanced team. The midfield is important so either go for a flat balance 4 with 2 wingers or go for a diamond. But the likes of S Smith shouldnt be playing LM when we are crying out for a winger to get to the line and get a ball in.

The problem Ferguson causes on the pitch is imbalance and thats a huge important factor in a team. You dont know if he will be holding or attacking now, so the guy next to him struggles also.

I think people expect too much of Mendes, they want him to go past 3 players and score. His game isnt so much like that but he is a clever player and he has missed having Thomson next to him.

I cant stress how much we should play Davis in the centre, he would be a different player altogether.

As i mentioned on another thread, half of our outfield team was guys out of position!! - Thats terrible and has to have an effect on the team and individual performances.

Its time WS got the basics right and went with a proper balanced team. The midfield is important so either go for a flat balance 4 with 2 wingers or go for a diamond. But the likes of S Smith shouldnt be playing LM when we are crying out for a winger to get to the line and get a ball in.

The same thing could be said about BF

I remember watching Frings and Ballack as a central pair for Germany in recent years and they had the balance perfect. Whilst Ballack was the one who got forward more with Frings holding, when one went forward the other was able to sit in and cover. So i'm not sure you can blame Fergie fully. Midfield players should be able to contribute to the attack and the defence. Unless of course the managers tactics dictate one must only sit in, say like the Makelele role at Chelsea.

I'm not advocating a return for Fergie. Just pointing out a more fluent midfield where the (usually) 2 central players can read the game well and cover each other would be more effective.

The same thing could be said about BF

Id disagree, ive never thought Ferguson was a player who could go past 3 men on a run then score. His best days were when he sat in centre of the park and picked the ball up and was slightly creative in finding the likes of De Boer. He cant dicate the game near to the same level now and resorts to blasting team mates for his own errors. Ive said all season Ferguson (and Weir) should have been used much more sparingly to get the best out of them.

And i dont think Ferguson has missed having Thomson either, Thomson came onto a good game when Ferguson was injured. The last player to get the best out of Ferguson was probably Hemdani.

Id disagree, ive never thought Ferguson was a player who could go past 3 men on a run then score. His best days were when he sat in centre of the park and picked the ball up and was slightly creative in finding the likes of De Boer. He cant dicate the game near to the same level now and resorts to blasting team mates for his own errors. Ive said all season Ferguson (and Weir) should have been used much more sparingly to get the best out of them.

And i dont think Ferguson has missed having Thomson either, Thomson came onto a good game when Ferguson was injured. The last player to get the best out of Ferguson was probably Hemdani.

I'm not saying BF should come back into the team here. Just wondering why some players get away with things and BF doesn't, I also don't believe grown men and professionals can be put off their game because of someone moaning, and if that is true then players in other teams can also put them off, bottom line is some fans will only be happy if Fergusons head is on a pole

Mendes hasn't dicatated anything much since he's been here. I expect/expect a lot more from him and any player playing for us in that role. His game yesterday was the usual flicks with the outside of his foot, 90% never came off, he doesn't seem to want the ball and rarely takes more than 1 touch or runs at players which I expect him to do at least a few times during the game. He is a luxury player we cannot afford to have IMO but we don't have any good backup so he has to play. How him and Davis were up for POTY baffled me!!!

In all honesty, I'd have a FIT Barry Ferguson in against the MOPES ahead of ANY of our current midfield players. Mendes, Davis, Edu and Smith aren't the answer and as I said in the Hearts match report, continuing with this four will LOOSE us the SPL title - Edu in the centre isn't teh concern, its the 'wide' players that are the major concern.

Against the MOPES you require 2 or 3 'battlers' in the centre and 2 genuine wide players to get at their full-backs. You also require someone up front who is willing to battle and has pace (rules out Boyd AND Velicka).

Mendes was SHOCKING in the CIS Cup Final against the MOPES where he didn't appear to be up for the battle. Davis is being wasted wide right and we STILL haven't found an answer to the left wing position.

Walter Smith got the ballance correct in the first OF game of the season, but has failed since. He must redescover the winning formula for Saturdays crunch game.

Cammy F

Edited by CammyF

How fit and match-sharp will he be though after being away from the first team for the last while?

There's also the fact that we've been winning games without him and it would be a real kick in the teeth for guys like Edu who've played well recently to suddenly be dropped for a "big game". I know the midfield hasn't exactly been firing on all cylinders, but it was never really doing that all season, so why should we change things now? A good performance in a match like this could be the making of Edu.