by Lindsay Herron

RICHARD GOUGH has insisted that Davie Weir should stay at Rangers for another year - because he is such a steadying influence.

Weir will be be 39 on Sunday but Gough, who played to the same age as Davie's defensive partner at Everton, reckons age is no barrier.

David WeirThe 9 in a row skipper feels Weir can still be a key man and he hopes a deal can be struck.

Gough, back in Scotland to promote Setanta's coverage of Saturday's Old Firm game, said: "The last two or three weeks have been unsettling for the club and I think Davie Weir has been a steadying influence.

"I am going up to Murray Park tomorrow to see the lads so I will have a chat with him then.

"I would love to see him do another season if he feels capable of doing so.

"I finished with Everton when I was 39 but I felt I could have played for another year. I stopped for family reasons.

"I suppose only he and Walter Smith can decide if he will stay but I hope it happens.

"I think he has really helped Bougherra settle in - much in the same way - I hope - that I helped Davie 10 years ago at Everton.

"Davie is a settling influence on any player because he is calm and he reads the game very well."

Too slow. If he does stay it should only be as cover, perhaps as the 4th choice centre half.

Saying that, he played bloody well against Hearts.

I sort of agree, but to be fair I think he has been our most consistent player all season and maybe could/should have won the POTY, IMO

I sort of agree, but to be fair I think he has been our most consistent player all season and maybe could/should have won the POTY, IMO

Also to be fair, he's had some stinking performances where his lack of pace has really been shown up.

Also to be fair, he's had some stinking performances where his lack of pace has really been shown up.

I suppose we should not be depending on a 39 year old, a younger CB is what we need, still think he has been steady all season

Fuck sake, agree again.....

The influence he must give to the kids must be invaluable.

What would you be like as a 16 year old kid walking past a 39 yr old Gough or somenoe else?