Ibrox stars not for sale if Rangers clinch SPL title and Champions League spot

Rangers will remove the 'For Sale' sign from four of their biggest names if they clinch the SPL title and �£15million Champions League bounty.

In another major boost for Ibrox fans, after Saturday's 1-0 victory over Celtic put their team two points ahead in the championship race with three games left, Sportsmail can reveal that Steven Davis, top scorer Kris Boyd, Pedro Mendes and Madjid Bougherra will be retained if wages are saved elsewhere.

Boozegate pair Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor will still be sold if the right offers come in, but the capture of the league crown is now vital if Walter Smith's key men are to have a future in Govan.

Last night, Bougherra fuelled the feelgood factor by vowing to remain at Rangers next season - and is anxious for David Weir to do the same to preserve their defensive partnership.

The 26-year-old Algerian was among a number of star players linked with summer sales after Boyd's January transfer to Birmingham collapsed.

City boss and ex-Ibrox manager Alex McLeish was an interested spectator on Saturday, but any pursuit of players may be in vain if his cash-strapped former club claim their first title for four years and beat Celtic to the automatic Champions League revenue.

'From what I see of these lads, the determination is there and I am confident they can handle the situation,' he said.

'The period when we were seven points behind is one that comes to mind. With the consistency Celtic had shown, it looked pretty difficult for us.

'The defeat in December was a huge disappointment because I felt that, for 70 minutes, we played the best we had done in any Old Firm game since I returned to the club. Now we must close it out.'

Walter Smith

Boss Walter Smith will need a star-studded team to compete in the Champions League

After Hibs, Aberdeen visit Ibrox on Saturday lunchtime, with the final fixture at Tannadice on Sunday, May 24.

'I've said often enough that other games can have a massive influence,' said Smith.

'Anyone who saw us at Easter Road the other week will know what a difficult game Hibs gave us. Aberdeen have to come here and Tannadice has always been a hard place for us.

'So they are difficult games - and Celtic face them, too. But we are in a good position. We have to show we can handle it.'

Meanwhile, Bougherra, the �2.5m signing from Charlton, insisted that staying at Rangers will see him continue to improve under Weir's tuition.

The Scotland centre-back turned 39 yesterday, but Bougherra urged him to carry on into his 40s and hopes an extension to the veteran's contract will be agreed.

'I have learned so much playing with David,' he said. 'Everyone on the staff wants him to stay.

'The way he trains and plays shows what a great professional he is. I don't know if I could do the same at 39. I'll probably be back in Algeria with my family at that age, putting my feet up.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1180290/Ibrox-stars-sale-Rangers-clinch-SPL-title-Champions-League-spot.html

Winning this title will save us in the short-term. On the other hand, Celtic have an opportunity to dominate for the next 4/5 years if they win it. I honestly believe if they win 4IAR the financial - and therefore footballing - gulf between us and them will be unbridgeable for that long. Perhaps we'll only appreciate the significance of Saturday's result in a few years' time.

What Norris said...

We must win this title. And, even if we do, we must NOT use the win to paper over the cracks any longer.

Wouldn't it be great to rebuild the club from a position of relative success via regaining the SPL and guaranteed European football.

The truth of your post there Norris is a bitter pill to swallow. It is by no means a given, but should they win this league (now looking much less likely than had they gotten a result at the weekend) we may have struggled to compete for a number of years. We would likely weaken our team season on season to balance the books whilst they would be in a position to strengthen. Making them stronger relative to us each year, probably winning the league and the vicious cycle continuing. :(

I've been pretty skeptical of all the "Bougherra will go, FACT" posts as well as for others, especially if we win the league.

Players that can make up the numbers for exit are:

MacGregor

Weir

Dailly

Smith

Ferguson

Beasley

Adam

Gow

And then there's the possiblity of Webster and Boyd (as a salable asset).

That makes 10 and should be enough.

I've been pretty skeptical of all the "Bougherra will go, FACT" posts as well as for others, especially if we win the league.

MacGregor

Weir

Dailly

Smith

Ferguson

Beasley

Adam

Gow

Don't disagree with most of the list but I would like to see Smith given a wee bit more of a chance than 5 games. Also should be moved to LB.

As for the rest of the list aye, fine, but how poor is our record of moving on the players we actually want rid of? We're terrible at it!

MacGregor

Weir

Dailly

Smith

Ferguson

Beasley

Adam

Gow

Plus Hemdani who bar Ferguson is the highest earner.

MacGregor

Weir

Dailly

Smith

Ferguson

Beasley

Adam

Gow

Not a bad list of dead wood there. I reckon we'd survive on the playing front without those (I'd actually keep Weir if anything). Unfortunately if we don't win the league it'll be the highest earners who'll be in the biggest danger.