Calscot, Martin Bain is full control of transfer fees and wages - that is HIS job.

I'm sorry but in my opinion, a manager with a wage budget would find it very hard to choose a squad properly without have knowledge or any control over what the wages would be. It's like trying to send someone to do your shopping on a budget without knowing how much anything costs.

Imagine Bain was crap and ended up giving Sionko 60 grand a week and then telling the manager there was no more money left...

It is a well known fact that David Murray REFUSED to sack Ricksen after he thro a Rangers director into a swimming pool - the only reason - MONEY.

I'll take that for granted but it would have cost nothing to let him go after his contract expired so how do yo explain that? Your point is irrelevant to why Ricksen is still here on a HIGHER wage.

If PLG has control of players wages and transfer budgets, why hasn't he signed Beckham, Zidane, Michael Owen etc?

What an easy question to answer. He has a budget, if he signed Beckham (presuming he would come and we got him for say 3M), his 100 grand a week wage demands would mean PLG could not sign any more players. Beckham instead of 6 or 7 new players? It's pretty obvious.

Unless you don't understand that PLG cannot control how much total budget he has and he also cannot control how much a player wants...

It's pretty plain to see that the players PLG has gone for are good players on lowish wages, that's nothing to do with Bain negotiation skills, that's knowing the market in the first place. You wouldn't allow someone to do the bidding for you at an auction without telling them the maximum you would spend on an item.

Matin Bain and David Murray set the wage budget, the manager has to fit his players into that - the manager supplies Bain with a list of players and Bain tries to sign them and fit them into the wage structure - nothing to do with the manager.

I still think the manager chooses which point of the wage structure the player fits into and can veto any extraordinary demands.

I would still say that the manager sets the limits and Bain does the negotiation.

I'm sorry, Cammy, I really don't know what I've done except rebut your points with what I think are reasonable counterpoints.

But fair enough, if you don't want to discuss it, no problem.

I'll clarify, what I meant was I don't want another post developing into a 20 page 'counter-point' and 'counter-arguement'. Both of us have made our points clearly and neither is going to change our opinions. Lets let other posters have their say on this matter.

And for what its worth, we are well shot of FR - having been saying the same for 2-3 seasons now - they guy is trouble and is neither a right back nor a midfield player.

Cammy F

And for what its worth, we are well shot of FR - having been saying the same for 2-3 seasons now - they guy is trouble and is neither a right back nor a midfield player.

There's two points where I completely agree with you 100%. :thup:

Maybe I'm confused with the exact timing, but I thought the reason Ricksen was offered a new, well paid contract is because the season it was expiring, he was one of our best players by a long way? Therefore it made sense to keep him as if he played like that the next season, we could either sell him on or it would seem like a reasonable wage to be paying for someone that good. We all know what happened next though.

Can't say I'm surprised he's been told he can leave, he really has no-one to blame but himself. Although if half the stories in the press were true, surely the club should have got him in to rehab or counselling a few seasons ago?

I wouldnt have minded either way but am not surprised by PLG's decision. Had Ricksen stayed then it would not have sent out the right message to what is a relatively young squad. Because of the standards of discipline that the manager has dictated that everyone must follow then it's just not possible to accomodate a senior squad player and former captain who cant behave himself and set the required example.

What a lot of utter shite .

Ricksen should be allowed to stay .

He's a cracking player.

Severly disappointed at this decision.

Ricksen is a disgrace...

He has had loads of chances and time after time he has let the club down.

After his comments about "not being able to work under a manager like that"...well the writing was on the wall!!

:thup: ...cya Nando