No, that's not the case at all. You can have a TV, computer etc in your house as long as you're not watching TV programmes on it.

Shroomz is right; I don't have a TV. It's only tv-as-it-happens from somewhere that you need a license for. If you have broadband - no, but if you have a TV card in your computer, aye. When I said I didn't need one they didn't believe me, they send an inspector out. Mental.

Edited by bmck

Shroomz is right; I don't have a TV. It's only tv-as-it-happens from somewhere that you need a license for. If you have broadband - no, but if you have a TV card in your computer, aye. When I said I didn't need one they didn't believe me, they send an inspector out. Mental.

So what about watching BBC iplayer? or 4oD? etc... did they have to check they weren't installed on your computer?

The whole thing is baffling, and the BBC can be shocking for what is meant to be publicly funded tv.

When it comes to the sport stuff, it is difficult to have objectivity in broadcasts... however there is an easy solution... have one person strong enough for each side... you could stomach seeing a tim moaning if he was sitting next to a novo-like character bigging up the champs!

So what about watching BBC iplayer? or 4oD? etc... did they have to check they weren't installed on your computer?

All allowed. Still waiting on someone coming out. Read that back there - I meant to say 'they said they'd send'. It's only TV as-its-broadcast you need a license for. So, if your computer had a TV-card, you'd be fucked, but not if it has iplayer.

The whole thing is baffling, and the BBC can be shocking for what is meant to be publicly funded tv.

Scottish BBC is awful; some of the centrally produced stuff is amazing, and would be impossible if it wasn't publicly funded - like planet earth and whatnot. All their educational stuff is better than most other places in the world, but everything else is particularly bad - the media coverage is shite and too political for a publicly funded organisation.

When it comes to the sport stuff, it is difficult to have objectivity in broadcasts... however there is an easy solution... have one person strong enough for each side... you could stomach seeing a tim moaning if he was sitting next to a novo-like character bigging up the champs!

Agreed. They should do what Channel 4 news do when ever anything happens. Pick the best person from each side of the debate and have them argue it out. Then if you get bored with all the details you can just choose a side and want them to win. :spl:

As for the petition, anyone not going to sign it?

The thing with the BBC is, I Know it has (had?) a great international reputation. Yet when I watched the Panorama programme on Scottish Football and sectarianism it was full of so many lies, mistruths and bullshit.

Now isn't panorama one of their so called better, factual progammes.

If the episode I watched was full of crap, how do I know the episodes on subjects I am less clued up on are not full of crap and furthermore how do I trust them on anything they broadcast.

I'm not sure their previous reputation is any longer deserved. And yes, centrally they do still produce some great programmes, but until BBC Scotland clean's up its act we should not fund it.

Edit: I was the 229th signature. Thought there may be more if it's been on all major websites. :(

Edited by Super_Ally

The thing with the BBC is, I Know it has (had?) a great international reputation. Yet when I watched the Panorama programme on Scottish Football and sectarianism it was full of so many lies, mistruths and bullshit.

Now isn't panorama one of their so called better, factual progammes.

If the episode I watched was full of crap, how do I know the episodes on subjects I am less clued up on are not full of crap and furthermore how do I trust them on anything they broadcast.

I'm not sure their previous reputation is any longer deserved. And yes, centrally they do still produce some great programmes, but until BBC Scotland clean's up its act we should not fund it.

Edit: I was the 229th signature. Thought there may be more if it's been on all major websites. :(

That's EXACTLY how I feel and that's why I NEVER watch Panorama anymore as I consider it as gutter journalism, and I'm now very skeptical about any other supposedly factual BBC report.

Their reporting on the Famine Song is also incredibly biased and misleading to those that don't know the reality, in fact it borders on cut and paste propaganda.

As for the petition, anyone not going to sign it?

Me mate. No way I'm signing it. I had nothing but trouble with the TV licensing. Despite not even having a TV or TV connection in my house for over 3 years, they wouldn't believe me. I sent them letters, spoke to them on the phone, had one of their inspectors out & they still continued to harass me with threatening letters. Eventually they seem to have given up & there's no way I'm signing something that has anything to do with threatening the BBC in relation to TV license fees. I don't agree with the TV license fee at all, but I deal with that in my own way by not owning a TV or watching TV programmes in my house.

Secondly, I've always thought that these protests against the BBC were taking the wrong approach. There has to be more cunning ways of making the BBC look bad than standing outside BBC headquarters protesting, which imo doesn't make the beeb look bad at all.

That's EXACTLY how I feel and that's why I NEVER watch Panorama anymore as I consider it as gutter journalism, and I'm now very skeptical about any other supposedly factual BBC report.

Their reporting on the Famine Song is also incredibly biased and misleading to those that don't know the reality, in fact it borders on cut and paste propaganda.

Their reporting on a lot of important issues & subjects is horrific, bordering on criminal. It's funny you used the word propaganda Cal, because I see the beeb as not much more than a large cog in the spin/propaganda machine.