WALTER SMITH has vowed to hand Murray Park's top kids a shot at Ibrox stardom.

Double-winning Gers boss Smith is ready to axe several fringe players this summer.

He will slash the first-team squad from 28 to 20 and give youngsters like John Fleck and Danny Wilson a bigger role.

Jim Sinclair, Gers' head of youth development, believes the kids for fame can make a big impact.

Sinclair said: "They are as good a crop as I have seen and I hope they can go on.

"For them, the ultimate achievement would be to grab a first-team jersey and keep it.

"It would be too presumptuous to expect them to pick up a jersey every week next season.

"But the season is going to be all about contributing to the team in whatever way they can.

"There is no better time than now in view of the fact that the manager has chosen to reduce his first-team squad and use our lads to complement it."

Fleck, 17, has the highest profile of the kids on the Murray Park conveyor belt.

He became the youngest-ever Scottish Cup winner in 2008 and has already made over a dozen senior appearances.

But he will be joined by several other homegrown talents in Smith's plans for next term.

Andrew Little has already won senior caps for Northern Ireland at just 20 and has played in a Scottish Cup semi-final.

Jamie Ness, Steven Stirling and Ross Perry were among five Gers kids in the Scotland Under-19 squad at the recent Euro elite qualifiers.

Andrew Shinnie, Jordan McMillan and Rory Loy are all back at Ibrox from valuable loan spells in the First Division.

And 17-year-old centre-back Danny Wilson was frequently on the bench in the run-in to the Double.

Wilson, a signing target for Spurs last season, will provide cover for Madjid Bougherra and veteran captain David Weir.

And Sinclair believes the teenager has already benefited from working with Gers' senior stars.

He said: "The experience Danny gained, despite the fact he didn't actually get on the pitch, would have been invaluable.

"Just being around the dressing room, hearing the chat from the manager and seeing how they prepare for such important matches is all part of the education - and a very important part.

''The biggest thing all these lads could ask for is the opportunity that seems to be going to arise. But they have seen other young players go through the system at Murray Park and make it.

"So that shows them it is a realistic proposition."

There are three reasons behind Smith's decision to promote this batch of kids.

He's keen to reduce the wage bill by letting go big earners who played just a handful of games last term.

He also wants to give encouragement to everyone in the Murray Park system that they can get the chance to progress.

But, above all, he believes this group of youngsters have the potential to become Gers stars of the future.

Sinclair added: "The whole reason for Murray Park being here is to breed youngsters for the first team.

"It is difficult under any circumstances to look at a youngster and say categorically they are going to become first-team players.

"But these boys are making steady progress and any opportunity they get will add to their experience.

"They've had a bit of success as they have come through and that can stand them in good stead.

"The fact that they have trained with the first team - some on a daily basis and some on a more selective basis - has been brilliant for all of them."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2501133/Gers-kids-wont-let-us-down.html

Translation:

We're skint so we wont be bringing in any new players

you're right, but our current skintness maybe the reason we've got a crop of established 23-24 year olds in the next few years that could be the core of a really good team. it might've forced our hand, but it may work out for the best so long as we can keep a solid core of players.

so if we are losing 8 players... name them?

1. Hemdani

2. Dailly

3. McCulloch?

4. Ferguson?

Who else could we "lose" while replacing with youngsters? I normally think of 1st team squad as 2 full teams... Think advocaat had a "nike day" where it was home vs away, and both teams were strong enough to compete in SPL... would adam and smith be on the list? perhaps would be easier to name the 20 "keeps"?

so if we are losing 8 players... name them?

1. Hemdani

2. Dailly

3. McCulloch?

4. Ferguson?

Who else could we "lose" while replacing with youngsters? I normally think of 1st team squad as 2 full teams... Think advocaat had a "nike day" where it was home vs away, and both teams were strong enough to compete in SPL... would adam and smith be on the list? perhaps would be easier to name the 20 "keeps"?

I hope the likes of McCulloch and Barry move on!!

I would say any of these could easily be moved on also:

Charlie Adam

Steven Smith

Graeme Smith

DaMarcus Beasley

Andrius Velicka

And maybe also, Allan McGregor and Madjid Bougherra if we get decent offers for them....................

And 17-year-old centre-back Danny Wilson was frequently on the bench in the run-in to the Double.

Wilson, a signing target for Spurs last season, will provide cover for Madjid Bougherra and veteran captain David Weir.

That is a little concerning to me.

Would like to have another experienced CB as back up, or even ousting Weir as first choice. I think CB particularly is a position where you can't pitch someone in too young. Imagine a young lad, not fully developed and filled out having a physical battle with some of the SPL's target men.

I hope the likes of McCulloch and Barry move on!!

I would say any of these could easily be moved on also:

Charlie Adam

Steven Smith

Graeme Smith

DaMarcus Beasley

Andrius Velicka

And maybe also, Allan McGregor and Madjid Bougherra if we get decent offers for them....................

Forgot about G Smith and Velicka... Beasley i dont see recovering to win back his place... but even losing those players, once we get it down to 20 or so, we still have to move someone on to strengthen. Like S_A says, would like to see centre-half in there... and wide players would be useful...

Forgot to add Webster... and would Aaron count in the 28??

Translation:

We're skint so we wont be bringing in any new players

Now, now, don't be cynical. This is what we all want to see, the club rearing its own. Would you rather we flogged them off and brought in 30-somethings and players looking to use us as a stepping stone?