Kris Boyd's goal is to stay put ...and bag another title for Rangers

KRIS BOYD will report to Murray Park tomorrow to kick-off his pre-season preparations with Rangers.

And the Ibrox goal machine insists he isn't living under the fear of being sold off this summer as speculation mounts Walter Smith will be forced to cash in on one of his leading stars ahead of the new season.

Boyd is now entering the final year of his current deal, which means Rangers run the risk of losing out on millions if he fails to agree a contract extension and sits tight until the end of the season before leaving on a Bosman deal.

It means the powerful hitman is one of the most likely players to be off-loaded this summer unless he inks a new deal.

But Boyd says speculation linking him with a move away from his boyhood heroes isn't going to distract him.

He said: "You can't live your life worrying about things which might happen. I was linked with a move away from here in January and it never happened. That situation could arise again, but I hope not.

"I'm happy with Rangers, everyone knows that, and I want to be here as long as possible."

Boyd has spent the summer basking in the glory of helping Rangers win the title after the 25-year-old played a massive role as the Light Blues crossed the finishing line ahead of Old Firm rivals Celtic.

But, if winning the league was tough going for Smith's men, Boyd says it will be even harder to retain their crown with opposition teams desperate to prove their worth against the SPL champions.

He said: "It's going to be a new experience for a lot of the boys. I think the gaffer has said we'll have a different challenge now.

"Other teams and players seem to try harder when they are playing against the cham-pions. That's something we need to expect and be ready for.

"But it's a challenge we look forward to. Winning the league last season is what we all wanted so desperately and, now we've got it, we want to keep hold of it.

"Thinking back to winning the league, it was a massive thing for all the boys.

"But we probably won't fully appreciate it until years to come. From a player's point of view you enjoy the occasion, then prepare to get going again. That's the frame of mind I'm in at the moment.

"I have enjoyed the summer spending time with my family, but we're just about to get going again and I can't wait. Pre-season training is sure to be tough, but everyone will be eager to get back out there.

"And hopefully the new campaign brings out the best in us again."

Boyd won over his critics last season by improving his all-round game and contributing more to the team.

And he said: "I feel I've grown into a more rounded player in the last few years and want that to continue.

"There is always pressure at a club like this - especially wearing the No.9 jersey - but I feel I'm able to handle that.

"Players have come here in the past and maybe not realised what it's all about and what it takes to play here. But I know now what playing for Rangers is all about."

Across the city, Old Firm rivals Celtic have appointed a new manager in Tony Mowbray and made their first signing in �£3.8m striker Marc-Antoine Fortune.

And Boyd said: "Celtic are going to come at us with all guns blazing. With Tony Mowbray taking over from Gordon Strachan I'm sure they will be looking to stamp their authority back on the Scottish game.

"But we'll be ready. They have obviously moved to sign Fortune, a guy with English Premiership experience. But that doesn't guarantee any-thing in the SPL."

Meanwhile, Preston are trying to wrest Charlie Adam from Blackpool's grasp in a �£500,000 deal and Andy Webster could also be set to leave with Falkirk and Dundee United keen to take the defender on a season-long loan deal.

Publication date 08/07/09

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2518819.0.0.php

Guest outlaw69uk

I saw a similar article elsewhere, and, have to say, I am feeling very positive about Boyds attitude of late, along with the improvements to his game. Also really pleased he recognizes the honour that being a Gers number 9 brings

I feel I've grown into a more rounded player

Couldnt agree more :fish:

But as ive said before his overall game improved in the last few months of the season and it will be all about consistancy from Boyd now to play like that almost every week.

If he is entering the last year in his contract i cant see us getting a bid of 3 million for him anyway, clubs would rather wait to see if he pens a deal or can leave on the cheap.

I saw a similar article elsewhere, and, have to say, I am feeling very positive about Boyds attitude of late, along with the improvements to his game. Also really pleased he recognizes the honour that being a Gers number 9 brings

I like Boyd but there have been too many false dawns regarding his attitude over the years to take his words with anything other than pinches of salt... ;)

However, with what happened at international level last season, I'd contend he has matured as a player. His all-round game has improved, his goals remain and I'm looking forward to seeing him score just as many next season.

Best we give him a new contract now as if Scott McDonald is worth �£6million, Boyd must be worth double! :whistle:

Boyd has earned a new contract IMO. It's been a while since was had anybody score the number of goals he does, season after season, and his game has definitely improved. I hope he keeps it up and continues living the dream.

Boyd has earned a new contract IMO. It's been a while since was had anybody score the number of goals he does, season after season, and his game has definitely improved. I hope he keeps it up and continues living the dream.

Agree while i was, and really still am, one of his biggest critics i don't think we can buy anyone who can give us 25+ goals a year. So he can only do it against smaller teams, well 90% of our games are against so called smaller teams.

We are also allowed three subs when he is not producing his magic.. Keep him for me.

Agree while i was, and really still am, one of his biggest critics i don't think we can buy anyone who can give us 25+ goals a year. So he can only do it against smaller teams, well 90% of our games are against so called smaller teams.

We are also allowed three subs when he is not producing his magic.. Keep him for me.

Coming out of the closet are you pete ? :thup:

Excellent summary of the situation. :thup:

Would be madness not to keep him.