Bougherra to Bordeaux For ââ??¬6million?

MADJID BOUGHERRA today revealed why he has turned down the chance to earn more money in the English Premier League to remain at Ibrox.

The Rangers defender has declared he will stay with the SPL champions this summer despite Everton, Wigan and French side Bordeaux all expressing an interest in signing him.

All three clubs would have been in a position to offer Bougherra a sizeable wage increase - but the Algerian insists he is more interested in enjoying his football and winning silverware than boosting his bank balance.

He said: "I have decided to continue my adventure with Rangers.

advertisement

"I feel very content at the football club and with life in Glasgow. On reflection, it is much better for me to remain here despite the interest and offers which have arisen.

"I could have gained more money by going elsewhere, but in my eyes that is not the most important thing." Bougherra's revelations will no doubt please Rangers supporters who feared the stopper might have been set to move on .

Of course, they are unlikely to rest easy until August 31 when transfer window closes, but the fact the defender seems determined to remain at Walter Smith's side provides the Light Blues with a massive boost.

The Rangers manager has conceded they could start the new season without a single new addition to their squad, which also lost former captain Barry Ferguson over the weekend as he completed a �£1m move to Birmingham City.

Rangers fans' chief John McMillan believes it would be disastrous if Bougherra left, even although he has stated that he won't.

He said: "Ferguson's departure won't cause any problems but Madjid Bougherra would be a disaster if he goes.

"There is absolutely no player at Ibrox who is anywhere near capable of doing the job that he does and Rangers have to pull out all the stops to keep him."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2520978.0.0.php

I wish folk would stop posting on this thread!:giruy: I keep thinking one of them is going to say we have accepted a bid and he's away despite everything in the press. I suppose it's just after last season with Cuellar that I'm feeling this way about Boogie.

I wish folk would stop posting on this thread!:giruy: I keep thinking one of them is going to say we have accepted a bid and he's away despite everything in the press. I suppose it's just after last season with Cuellar that I'm feeling this way about Boogie.

It's not over yet mate, wouldn't surprise me one bit to see a post saying he is for the off :(...........I am expecting it tbh

It's not over yet mate, wouldn't surprise me one bit to see a post saying he is for the off :(...........I am expecting it tbh

Your right Ian. In some ways I just want it to be the end of the window and get on with what we have got if that is going to be the case

Sorry WTD :thup:

If this isnt a "come and get me" message tot he EPL then I don't know what is......

Madjid Bougherra claims he would only leave Rangers for the Barclays Premier League, while Walter Smith insists there have been no bids for him.

The Algeria international has been strongly linked with a move to Bordeaux and admitted he considered joining the French champions.

It had been reported that an offer of �£4million had been tabled for the former Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton centre-back.

But Smith is they have received no approaches and has reiterated chairman David Murray's stance that their key men are not for sale.

He said: "Despite reports to the contrary there have been no bids for Madjid.

"We have not been contacted by Bordeaux in regards to Madjid and that's the end of the story as far as we are concerned.

"As the chairman has said on a number of occasions he is a player we are not looking to sell.

"The strange thing is the story keeps getting repeated but we have had no contact with anyone from Bordeaux.

"I don't mind a bit of speculation but this story has been rumbling on for a week now. They have never been in touch with us."

Bougherra, though, told the Daily Record: "I thought long and hard about it.

"I weighed up the pros and cons of the move but I feel good at Rangers and the British game suits me.

"If I need to leave it will be for the English Premier League."

:flipa: Craig.:)

I would love to see the big man stay another season but also I think if the likes of Everton or someone like that come in and make a reasonable offer - 4-5Million - then SDM will accept and we will be back to square one at CB