Player Ratings-Record

Petrov struck the ball with immense power, albeit he was beaten at his near post but I doubt many keepers would've saved it.

I agree. A keeper shouldn't be beat at the near post but very few keepers would have saved that. I think Alexander had his angles right and he really couldn't have been expected a thunderbolt into the top corner.

Have to agree, saw it happen and thought wtf, how did that go straight across you. Power yes, I still thought he should have done better though.

Strikers miss chances they should score and keepers concede goals they should maybe save. The thing is, strikers miss more chances they should score than keepers concede goals they should save.

Last night though, Alexander didn't have a chance.

Yeah I agree with that Gav. Obviously it happened so fast but that was my initial reaction. Thought he was placed well an tbh was expecting a cross rather than a shot.

So Alexander could also be forgiven for not expecting the shot, right ?

He maybe should have done better, but not many would have saved it - and most that save that shot is probably only because their body is in the way rather than reflexes.

IMO Whittaker was more culpable than Alexander - Petrov got far too much space far too often down our right hand side last night.

Yeah I agree again, only said i thought he 'could' have done better, not should.....I think anyway. Petrov has a reputation for a thunderbolt shot iirc, unfortunately last night he got one against us.

Dont really matter though cos in the end it matters not a fuck as WE WON :D:giruy::D

I was as pleased by the performance as the result to be honest.

And Wattie has been quoted this morning as saying he wants to use this formation and tactics this season. Hopefully so - we just need to shore up the defence a bit and all will look rosy.

That said, playing those tactics against City will be a far cry from playing them against a team putting 10 men (or 11......) behind the ball and doing nothing but defend.

I might not have seen anything in particular to criticise McCulloch over, but I could swear Mendes was more involved in the game.

Funny, people use the same kind of language to explain why Barry, Hemdani or Thommo had a great game.

There is strong opinion that if you hardly notice a holding midfielder and your other central midfielder had a good game then the holding guy is probably playing exceptionally well...

Maybe it doesn't apply to unpopular players.:fish:

The real shock is that McCulloch seems to have re-invented himself. This position seems to tease out the few qualities he does have, but when Edu and Thomson return, I hope he is not still there ahead of them. Maybe, given we need a partner for Boogie and cover for Weir, he could do a job at CB? After all, we can't afford the money it would cost to buy a real CB, certainly not if Lee can do a half-decent job there. Just a thought. In any event, hopefully we've seen the last of him as a left midfielder.

Maybe, given we need a partner for Boogie and cover for Weir, he could do a job at CB? After all, we can't afford the money it would cost to buy a real CB, certainly not if Lee can do a half-decent job there. Just a thought. In any event, hopefully we've seen the last of him as a left midfielder.

That's the very last thing I want to happen. McCulloch as a CB frightens me! He should be a squad player at best.